British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Architect (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/architect-655637/)

reggiedh Feb 19th 2010 11:23 am

Architect

We are going to begin some renovations in our house in the next few months. Apart from a builder I understand it is obligatory to also have an architect.
I am guessing the 1st person one would get on board is the architect. As we are basically pretty new to Spain and not even living there yet we are starting from scratch.
So the question is where does one find an architect and secondly can someone recommend one?

And finally who takes care of getting the planning permission is it the owner, the builder or the architect?

Hillybilly Feb 19th 2010 11:36 am

Re: Architect

Might help if you said whereabouts your project is. Otherwise the Colegio de Arquitectos or the Colegio de Aparejadores y Arquitectos Tecnicos for your province will have a database of who is licensed to work in your area and what their "specialities" are.
If you require a Major Works Licence, anybody can apply for it but it requires an Architect's Proyecto. You just need to make it clear in writing in your dealings with the Architect that you want them to take care of that side of things, if that's the case.
Minor Works Licences don't require an architect's proyecto.

snikpoh Feb 19th 2010 11:43 am

Originally Posted by reggiedh (Post 8357351)
We are going to begin some renovations in our house in the next few months. Apart from a builder I understand it is obligatory to also have an architect.
I am guessing the 1st person one would get on board is the architect. As we are basically pretty new to Spain and not even living there yet we are starting from scratch.
So the question is where does one find an architect and secondly can someone recommend one?

And finally who takes care of getting the planning permission is it the owner, the builder or the architect?

OK. Firstly, whereabouts are you going to be?

I have had a number of properties reformed/built so have been through the various pitfalls.

For us, it was the architect who got the Licence de Obras plus any other licences (for skips etc.). However, having said that, we ended up doing a lot of the leg work.

The deal in Spain is that the fee you pay the architect is not simply for the drawings, they actually manage the entire project for their fee. What's included is managing the stage payments to any builders, obtaining the licence, getting final sign-off and anything else in between.

I could recommend an architect but you really need one that is local to you so that they can go and assess progress and then authorize payments etc. As for builders, please go by recommendation! Check out what they've done before and speak to the owner to be sure that they did a good job, were on time/budget, kept the site clean etc.

Finally, and to be slightly contentious, I would go for Spanish builders, architects, plumbers, electricians etc. I'm sure there are other good services but by going native you will be buying into local knowledge and ways of working that should save you money. Also, it is quite common that only the Spanish can provide the necessary boletins.

Best of luck, be patient!

Originally Posted by Hillybilly (Post 8357384)
Might help if you said whereabouts your project is. Otherwise the Colegio de Arquitectos or the Colegio de Aparejadores y Arquitectos Tecnicos for your province will have a database of who is licensed to work in your area and what their "specialities" are.
If you require a Major Works Licence, anybody can apply for it but it requires an Architect's Proyecto. You just need to make it clear in writing in your dealings with the Architect that you want them to take care of that side of things, if that's the case.
Minor Works Licences don't require an architect's proyecto.

An Aparejadores is a master builder and is very well respected here by GOOD builders. As stated by Hillbilly, there are two classifications Major and Minor works. The Major covers things like new windows, changes to structure whilst Minor covers altering internal layouts, repainting the outside of a house etc. Major works needs a 'project' whilst minor works don't.

reggiedh Feb 19th 2010 2:07 pm

Snikpoh and Hillybilly thanks. We are going to be in Javea. Long term we plan on re tiling the entire house, re doing one bathroom, extending the kitchen a little and joining the upstairs and downstairs with an indoor staircase.

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 8357400)
OK. Firstly, whereabouts are you going to be?

I have had a number of properties reformed/built so have been through the various pitfalls.

For us, it was the architect who got the Licence de Obras plus any other licences (for skips etc.). However, having said that, we ended up doing a lot of the leg work.

The deal in Spain is that the fee you pay the architect is not simply for the drawings, they actually manage the entire project for their fee. What's included is managing the stage payments to any builders, obtaining the licence, getting final sign-off and anything else in between.

I could recommend an architect but you really need one that is local to you so that they can go and assess progress and then authorize payments etc. As for builders, please go by recommendation! Check out what they've done before and speak to the owner to be sure that they did a good job, were on time/budget, kept the site clean etc.

Finally, and to be slightly contentious, I would go for Spanish builders, architects, plumbers, electricians etc. I'm sure there are other good services but by going native you will be buying into local knowledge and ways of working that should save you money. Also, it is quite common that only the Spanish can provide the necessary boletins.

Best of luck, be patient!

An Aparejadores is a master builder and is very well respected here by GOOD builders. As stated by Hillbilly, there are two classifications Major and Minor works. The Major covers things like new windows, changes to structure whilst Minor covers altering internal layouts, repainting the outside of a house etc. Major works needs a 'project' whilst minor works don't.

spain Feb 20th 2010 9:21 pm

sure there will be many "builders" in the area who would love to do the work :(

as already said, get recommendations whether you decide on English or Spanish...have heard lots of horror stories and its not just the Brits ripping people off, always go and see previous work and make sure the references are genuine...if they are established they should be able to provide a fair few examples of their completed work

Originally Posted by reggiedh (Post 8357789)
Snikpoh and Hillybilly thanks. We are going to be in Javea. Long term we plan on re tiling the entire house, re doing one bathroom, extending the kitchen a little and joining the upstairs and downstairs with an indoor staircase.