Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Applying for residency before EU withdrawal

Applying for residency before EU withdrawal

Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Alx2021 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for residency before EU withdrawal

I originally had plans to move to Spain around November time or early December.

I know if you have residency before the December 31st withdrawal date we can stay in Spain.

But I've read it can take weeks/months to get the permit because of all the red tape.

Does that mean you have to have everything done and submitted and receive the residency permit to stay before December 31st?

Or will just submitting the application be sufficient? Should I make the move way before November/early December?
Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for residency before EU withdrawal

You need to have started the process by the end of December.
I presume that means that you must at least have an appointment with the Extranjeria Office by the end of December. The Extranjeria Office appointment is the first part of the process and you will require all the documents needed when you attend that appointment.But I guess you could arrive on 31st December and still apply....but not sure how that will work.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alx2021
I originally had plans to move to Spain around November time or early December.

I know if you have residency before the December 31st withdrawal date we can stay in Spain.

But I've read it can take weeks/months to get the permit because of all the red tape.

Does that mean you have to have everything done and submitted and receive the residency permit to stay before December 31st?

Or will just submitting the application be sufficient? Should I make the move way before November/early December?
If you have appliedby 31 December then there is 6 months (I believe) in order for the application to be processed added on so I believe it is up to the end of June 2021. However one must legally be in Spain before 1 January to start the TIE residency process.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute

Bring everything with you. You can now get birth and marriage certificates from the local registrars office in England with a Spanish translation attached. They are little more expensive than the standard certificates but it will save you a lot of money than having them translated in Spain.
Also, bring all your bank statements for the last twelve months.
Unless you are of pesionable age and are entitled to a Form S1 from the DWP, look into into private healthcare in Spain which you will need. It should be with no co-payments and no medical exclusions.

If I think of anything else useful to bring with you I will let you know.

You will need to complete Forms EX20 and EX23. Also bring some photos...passport and drivimg licence sizes.
Open a Spanish bank account as soon as you get here. It will have to be a non-resident account until you get your Residency card...the TIE. You can then change it to a Residents account. I used Deutsche Bank.

The process I found was quite daunting at first, but once I knew what I was doing it was reasonably easy.

Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

What happens if someone arrives at the end of December. There is no way that they can start the process by 31st. They wouldn´t even be able to get an appointment with the Extranjeria in that short time frame.

Also they will need their Padron Certificate from the Ayuntamiento....and most places will be shut during the Xmas and New year period
Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Save your boarding cards to prove you arrived by the end of the year.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

If I were you I would come as soon as you can to set things in motion
Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inbarcelona
What happens if someone arrives at the end of December. There is no way that they can start the process by 31st. They wouldn´t even be able to get an appointment with the Extranjeria in that short time frame.

Also they will need their Padron Certificate from the Ayuntamiento....and most places will be shut during the Xmas and New year period
I don't know tge answer to that I could hazard a guess that if they could prove legally living in spain before 31 December they could still start tge process? However the date is known so prior planning and preperation comes to mind.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

According to the document published by the Spanish government last month, provided you are resident in Spain by 31st December, you have up to 3 months to commence your residency application, and you will still be covered by the withdrawal agreement. If you need to exchange your driving licence without taking Spanish driving test, you must start the process by 31st December, with an appointment at the traffic office.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/wp...uide-FAQs-.pdf
Old Aug 29th 2020, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inbarcelona
Bring everything with you. You can now get birth and marriage certificates from the local registrars office in England with a Spanish translation attached. They are little more expensive than the standard certificates but it will save you a lot of money than having them translated in Spain.
Also, bring all your bank statements for the last twelve months.
Unless you are of pesionable age and are entitled to a Form S1 from the DWP, look into into private healthcare in Spain which you will need. It should be with no co-payments and no medical exclusions.

If I think of anything else useful to bring with you I will let you know.

You will need to complete Forms EX20 and EX23. Also bring some photos...passport and drivimg licence sizes.
Open a Spanish bank account as soon as you get here. It will have to be a non-resident account until you get your Residency card...the TIE. You can then change it to a Residents account. I used Deutsche Bank.

The process I found was quite daunting at first, but once I knew what I was doing it was reasonably easy.

Also, you will need 3 months of bank statements certified by your Spanish bank. You really need to be opening, and using, your non resident account in September to allow you to start the process before 31st December. This is how the immigration will know that you are living in Spain and not just dumping a lump sum for the application.

Good luck.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish bank account may not be needed, but this depends on where you apply. In Malaga Province, they accept UK bank account with 6-month statement or pensions certificates.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

I think every area differs. When I applied for my TIE I was worried that I only had print-outs from my computer for my UK bank account...showing my pension (private, not State as I retired early) going in at the end of each month. I thought they might want the originals, and stamped or authenticated by the bank. Or even Translated....but how do you translate a bank staterment? It´s just numbers and a list of who you have paid or what has come into your account.

In the end though, they didn´t ask for my bank statements.

What I did have with me though was a signed letter from my Spanish bank stating how much was in my NON_RESIDENT account. It was about 34,000 Euros.

That was sufficient for the Extranjeria Office in Barcelona and I was not asked to produce anything else to prove income.

As I say...maybe each area is different. My application was accepted, I had the fingerprints done at the Police Station about 2 weeks later and I´m going to pick up my New TIE next Thursday. I´m quite excited about it.....lol
Old Aug 29th 2020, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

I have been told by those who have already received their TIE that it has a white background, called Permiso de Residencia if you have permanente with 10-year validity and Tarjeta de Residencia if you have 5-year card. It says Articulo 50 TUE under Type of Permit. No visible fingerprint on the back, but it's embedded in the biometric chip.

Last edited by Joppa; Aug 29th 2020 at 8:19 am.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We have an appointment in 3 weeks time to collect my wifes TIE. Next thing after that is trying to get an appointment at the INSS Office for medical care. Appointments are very sparse.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
Spanish bank account may not be needed, but this depends on where you apply. In Malaga Province, they accept UK bank account with 6-month statement or pensions certificates.
That's good to know and may it may be better for the O/P to apply there. Here in the Alicante area they require 3 months Spanish bank statements certified and showing regular use, ie shopping, petrol, restaurants, utilities etc.

O/P....See the guides produced by a really helpful guy on another forum dealing with the Costa Blanca area....https://www.costablancaforum.com/are...o-spain-51724/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.