Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Applying for a new UK passport

Applying for a new UK passport

Old Jan 7th 2023, 6:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a new UK passport

Originally Posted by Red Eric
... Your current address is the one at which you normally reside and that is the one which should be entered on the application, not one at which you are holidaying. ...
I agree "should" be, but the Passport Office does not, AFAICT do anything verify if the address proviced is your "normal residence", and given that people can move address/ location at any time and without giving notice, there is no reliable way for the Passport Office to even know. Indeed it is easy to even pass off a PO Box or Mail Box address as a residential address and I know of it being done a number of times by different people, though not that I am aware of, in the context of a passport application.

That said, Google Maps and Google Street View make address verification, or at least plausibility, to be very easy in most cases, and "free" other than the provision of a computer and paying someone to perform the checks, but I still can't see the Passport Office performing any sort of review on applicants' addresses.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 7th 2023 at 7:08 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2023, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

And if you live overseas, you're supposed to pay the appropriate fee for the issuing of a passport to an overseas resident, wherever you are at the time you make the application.
I beg to differ

The fee you pay is dependent on where you are when you apply, if you are applying from overseas and taking delivery overseas you make your application as such. If you are in the UK when you make the application (even if you are resident outside the UK) then you pay for whichever speed of service you choose. The fee within the UK is nothing to do with where you live. Assuming you are using a UK address to receive the passport or going in person to collect.

Last edited by UKMS; Jan 7th 2023 at 8:30 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2023, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

I beg to differ.

Your current address is the one at which you normally reside and that is the one which should be entered on the application, not one at which you are holidaying.

And if you live overseas, you're supposed to pay the appropriate fee for the issuing of a passport to an overseas resident, wherever you are at the time you make the application.
This official web page seems to suggest that it's acceptable to renew a UK passport whilst being a non-UK resident visiting the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/passport-applicat...le-visiting-uk
Old Jan 7th 2023, 7:53 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
This official web page seems to suggest that it's acceptable to renew a UK passport whilst being a non-UK resident visiting the UK.

OK, thanks - I stand corrected.

Interesting conflict there with the following :
Passport fees
Old Jan 7th 2023, 8:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

OK, thanks - I stand corrected.

Interesting conflict there with the following : .....
That argument probably has some validity for first-time applicants, but is utter BS for passport renewals. The incremental cost for passport renewals for non-residents is the cost of mailing/ couriering the passports back to the applicant over the same cost for a UK address.
Old Jan 7th 2023, 8:11 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That argument probably has some validity for first-time applicants, but is utter BS for passport renewals. The incremental cost for passport renewals for non-residents is the cost of mailing/ couriering the passports back to the applicant over the same cost for a UK address.
I think there's some argument (as used by the govt) about the costs of consular services being in part borne by those who live overseas through costs of passports. They were considerably higher for non-UK residents until fairly recently.

I did wonder when I encountered it whether that link applied specifically to first time applicants but on skimming through the whole thing, concluded that it didn't. I may have drawn the wrong conclusion, though.

I'm happy to accept that I was incorrect in my intervention in the light of the other link.
Old Jan 7th 2023, 8:18 pm

I think there's some argument (as used by the govt) about the costs of consular services being in part borne by those who live overseas through costs of passports. They were considerably higher for non-UK residents until fairly recently. ....
Also a fair point, but all UK passports are now processed through the UK (they are actually printed in Poland), so unless the British government wants to argue that residents overseas make greater use of consular services than residents in the UK, which could be true, then there is no merit to surcharging non-residents for issuing passports.
Old Jan 8th 2023, 2:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And when you consider that they send the cancelled passport back by one courier, then the new one separately, thats reasonable enough I think.
I"ve been really satisfied with the service since they moved it to the UK. My previous passport processing, done in Canberra, took much longer than the renewal via the UK this time.
Old Jan 8th 2023, 7:28 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And when you consider that they send the cancelled passport back by one courier, then the new one separately, thats reasonable enough I think.
We do pay courier fees on top of an already enhanced renewal fee, though.

Not that I'm complaining about the processing fee now the difference is only a tenner or so. It hurt a lot more when it was heading for 50 quid.
Old Jan 8th 2023, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

My partner had to renew their UK passport last year (gawd help them!) so they applied online, booked an appointment in Peterborough and we flew to Stansted, stayed in a hotel, hired a van (which we needed for something else) and my partner picked up their passport. It was easy.

Old Jan 8th 2023, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris

Precisely what I did and the only address the form required was that for delivery and that was my daughters because that was where I was staying, if I'd been staying in a hotel/B&B/AirBnB etc. etc. etc. I could just as easily and legitimately put that.

My my residential address in Spain was not asked for at any stage and in any case would have been worthless as I was in UK not there and couldn't possibly get there without a passport!

BTW passport blanks may be bulk produced in Poland but ANY and ALL printing appertaining to the recipient is produced and inserted by the UK passport service in UK. Best I can describe the ID page is akin to a double sided overgrown credit card which is bonded to the first page of the passport which is a transparent sheet.

To be crystal clear my application was for the 7 day service.

Last edited by Notdunroamin; Jan 8th 2023 at 4:23 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2023, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
Okay now you seem to entering a more grey area. If you are a Spanish resident with a NLV you shouldnt be working in any sense. Secondly you are a Spanish tax resident not UK. Third your oversee assests should have been declared. You really need to look into this as after 2 years it might sound like you have been deliberately ignoring the law.
pot

Likely more out of ignorance than by deliberate act (rest assured you won't be alone there) but the end result is the same.

March 21 could well mean that the OP gained his TIE under the WA not via an NLV but regardless if resident in Spain you pay your tax in Spain, that's what the R85 'Spain individual' form is for to ensure you don't pay tax on the same income twice.

We don't know when you actually began living in Spain, could have been many years ago, but to be legit you should have declared you worldwide assets - if in total in excess of €50k - via the Modelo 720 and if you have not done that then you are already potentially into fines and penalties.

Sounds like you may not have been doing tax returns either?

You really must get some professional advice and legitimise your affairs, forget about the passport issue - there isn't one!

Old Jan 8th 2023, 8:29 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
My partner had to renew their UK passport last year (gawd help them!) so they applied online, booked an appointment in Peterborough and we flew to Stansted, stayed in a hotel, hired a van (which we needed for something else) and my partner picked up their passport. It was easy.
Was this Online premium or 1 week fast track?

In both of those cases the "Who can apply" section steers people away from these two services if they live abroad but if your partner renewed using either of those services then it looks like anyone living outside the UK can use them anyway.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

For the n'th time if you are actually in the UK you can use any service you wish, where you reside is irrelevant!
Old Jan 9th 2023, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
Was this Online premium or 1 week fast track?

In both of those cases the "Who can apply" section steers people away from these two services if they live abroad but if your partner renewed using either of those services then it looks like anyone living outside the UK can use them anyway.
We can't remember exactly but we are pretty sure it was the online service where you opt for a time and date to collect the passport in person. London was very booked so we opted for next nearest place which was Peterborough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.