Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?

Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?

Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:11 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?

Originally Posted by agoreira
Done it four times, including a night visit, and I'd go again tomorrow, but wild horses wouldn't drag me to the likes of Fuengy or Torre!
first time in Granada felt happy, at home
first time in Seville didn't feel happy, not at home (different time of year, hotel in old town etc etc)

second time in Granada felt happy, at home
second time in Seville - at the bottom of a long list of things to do, places to see.

trouble is the OH feels it should be the other way round, but it didnt stop her from getting a job in Granada ..
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lynn R
"it's OK but it's just a load of old ruins!".
My neighbour in Wilmslow used exactly those words, the subject was the Pyramids !
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darrell1966
That was not my quest though

Although I do enjoy chatting about it.

My initial quest (which seems to have fallen by the wayside) was to find somewhere as nice as the Costa del Sol. Javea was mentioned but prices there are on a par with the CDS, might as well stick with what I used to know.

May I ask you why being near Gibraltar is important to you. I would have no qualms setting up down that end of the Costa but know from experience that once you are out there friends and family and all sorts want lifts to and from the airport and I think it would get to be a drag from down there.
lived in arroyo de la miel for a while and don't really like it that end of the coast. The stretch between Estepona and Gib has nice beaches and far fewer tourists filling them. I would love to live in Tarifa or between Zahara de los atunes and Conil as on a perfect day you can't beat it or the quality of the beaches on the Atlantic coast...but the wind which is all too frequent is too much to bear at times.

Gib is convenient for the airport as I can be door to door at my parent's house which is not far from Luton in under 4 hours, I can shop at Morissons when I want where I find there is a better variety of foods from around the world than those available in Spanish supermarkets, petrol is still £1.05 a litre, a packet of Marlboro costs £2.20 and Jack Daniels can be got for a tenner a bottle. It is also a handy place to escape Spanish bureaucracy at times as I found out when I got married there with relative ease last December

Our beer last year was a euro a bottle
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

darrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by EllisG
lived in arroyo de la miel for a while and don't really like it that end of the coast. The stretch between Estepona and Gib has nice beaches and far fewer tourists filling them. I would love to live in Tarifa or between Zahara de los atunes and Conil as on a perfect day you can't beat it or the quality of the beaches on the Atlantic coast...but the wind which is all too frequent is too much to bear at times.

Gib is convenient for the airport as I can be door to door at my parent's house which is not far from Luton in under 4 hours, I can shop at Morissons when I want where I find there is a better variety of foods from around the world than those available in Spanish supermarkets, petrol is still £1.05 a litre, a packet of Marlboro costs £2.20 and Jack Daniels can be got for a tenner a bottle. It is also a handy place to escape Spanish bureaucracy at times as I found out when I got married there with relative ease last December

I got sandblasted at Terifa beach, honestly, it beat me. I was determined to fly my kite but it just hurt to much.

That was the day Princess Diana died. On the same break my daughters pram blew away with her in it.

Windy old place.

I suppose with the pound not performing so well against the Euro it is quite cheap to go to Gib.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Morrisons My parents used to shop there when I was young, I remember it being frozen cr*p with ready meals and a load of junk food thrown in.

I guess this sums up why discussion forums can be a waste of time. Its pointless debating with someone who lives on another planet

And Gibraltar is a dump. You'd have to pay me a lot to ever go there
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
You remind me of a British tourist I met in a hotel in Sorrento many years ago. She had been to visit Pompeii the day before and I asked her if she had enjoyed it. "Well", she said "it was all right but it's just a load of old ruins really, isn't it?".

We still laugh about that and whenever we visit any historical site always say "it's OK but it's just a load of old ruins!".
sorry, but I'm more into natural beauty than walking around evidence of former civilisations.

Next week I am off to show my wife Israel. Yes I will briefly show her Jerusalem's old city, Caesarea, Acre, Sefat and other historical places but far more time will be spent showing her Ein Gedi, The Dead Sea, the joy of swimming in the sweet waters of the Sea of Gallilee, the Ramon Crater and walking through a desert wadi in the Negev or combining history and spectacular views atop Massada
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:40 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Morrisons My parents used to shop there when I was young, I remember it being frozen cr*p with ready meals and a load of junk food thrown in.

I guess this sums up why discussion forums can be a waste of time. Its pointless debating with someone who lives on another planet

been there a couple of times from seaward, not fussed about going back again but OH wants me to take her some time, but its almost a day's drive each way so will need 3 days to do it in. will show if the dog's passport works I suppose.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cricketman

my, someone is opinionated despite being uninformed. Since purchasing Safeways, Morissons are now the 4th largest retailer in the UK therefore stocking a wider range of products than frozen ready meals which are not something I ever eat anyway.

Anyone who dismisses Gibraltar as a dump has failed to explore the upper rock, home to the only wild monkeys in Europe or seen the various caves inside the rock, or perhaps the breathtaking breeze that blows across the lighthouse at the end of the rock with uninterrupted views of Africa...it's not all about the airport, office buildings and nasty looking apartments which resemble a rough council estate in Britain. The bay too was once a beautiful place before Franco decided to site a petrol refinery there
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

darrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant future

my, someone is opinionated despite being uninformed. Since purchasing Safeways, Morissons are now the 4th largest retailer in the UK therefore stocking a wider range of products than frozen ready meals which are not something I ever eat anyway.

Anyone who dismisses Gibraltar as a dump has failed to explore the upper rock, home to the only wild monkeys in Europe or seen the various caves inside the rock, or perhaps the breathtaking breeze that blows across the lighthouse at the end of the rock with uninterrupted views of Africa...it's not all about the airport, office buildings and nasty looking apartments which resemble a rough council estate in Britain. The bay too was once a beautiful place before Franco decided to site a petrol refinery there
Is it like the Costa del Sol?

(kidding )
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:20 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with that, used to shop at Morissons monthly and never bought frozen stuff. Don't use them in the UK but they are an improvement to carrefour, mercadona etc. There are concerts in the caves too throughout the year. The botanical gardens and lots more. The only people who say it is a dump tend to stick around main st.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I agree with that, used to shop at Morissons monthly and never bought frozen stuff. Don't use them in the UK but they are an improvement to carrefour, mercadona etc. There are concerts in the caves too throughout the year. The botanical gardens and lots more. The only people who say it is a dump tend to stick around main st.
I've got a friend of a friend who has access to the lower caves which are privately owned (by the MOD I think) and takes tours down there from time to time, they are even more impressive than St Michael's cave