Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?

Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?

Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

darrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?

Originally Posted by Domino
Darryl
why do you think I am giving up on the UK and moving to Spain? the bright sunshine (ok its been like living in a frying pan the past 3-4 weeks), the lack of rain, getting up in the morning and knowing its going to be another nice day. living\working in a bar all day would not be my idea of "enjoyment" even as I look out on Veleta in the Sierras every day.

I have been round the world a couple of times in grey painted war canoes, visited many places more than once, been rooked by locals, spat on, sworn at, dropped off in the wrong place by taxi drivers.
I have found Spain a nice place, nice people, good weather, somewhere to put down new roots.
but then I am retiring, no bars except from the other side, no tapas except from the other side. no hassle with the Environmental Health (unless I catch something). And definately no Roast Beef and Yorkshires every day. I cook Spanish in the UK so its unlikely I will change.

30+ years ago my first visit was to Salou, early October, place was starting to close down from the summer. Bars up for sale all over the place, all sand blown and worn looking. Never fancied it, laugh at those TV progs where they have followed "plucky Brits" who have sold everything to take on a bar in Spain, living in a cramped flat above, no training, no idea of where to buy anything, no Spanish - but what the heck, its fun, until the bills cant be paid.

they are generally a good lot here on BE, wanting to put you off isnt because they cant afford the competition, just they don't want you to dive in without knowing the depth, whcih is currently shallow. yes business isnt what it was 10yrs ago, it did go up a little but it is down now, people and businesses are having to work harder to make the same profit whilst the revenue wants more. many Brits have gone home penniless, leaving houses unsold (in some cases unsaleable) but its funny that the younger Spaniards are going to UK to live and work.
as I said earlier, if you can come, look, decide based on what you see.
But ENJOY its your life and we won't have to pick up the pieces
rgds
I have also been around the world with Her Majesties khaki adventure tours and met many wonderful people and I have also lived in other countries. Germany, USA, Kenya, Canada Cyprus but would rather live in Spain.

If it is a struggle it is a struggle but I will see what I can do (after a good recce of course) but I will never put myself in a position to lose a lot. Or end up in pieces, as you said.

I do realise people are trying to help.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

darrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yes, good points Domino! Even 10 years ago when things were good most Brit bars were lucky to last a year. We had another couple on here who did not listen, accused a lot of posters of being negative. The bar lasted about 3 months and they were back in the UK.

Remember too that most bars do not have any view unless you pay a much higher rent. There are some fab views on the CDS but like anywhere else there are also some grotty places. Some bars are tucked under apartment blocks resembling slovakia.
The view I am referring to is just the general view as one goes about ones daily business. As opposed the drabness that is here.

10 years ago, when I was there, all the brit bars that I knew did very well. Obviously times have changed, I understand that.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EllisG
nah...just realistic from what i see and hear from others.

Running a bar was more of an adventure for me than a necessity and contrary to other opinions I enjoyed life and the views whilst having it (it was perched on raised ground at the back of a beach with views over to morocco). My main line of work is supplying kitchen appliances in the UK via my web site so I have fortunately never had to rely on the Spanish economy for anything. I wouldn't swap this place for anything but beyond the great climate I find there is very little I want from Spain. The food is second rate and places of interest to me are few and far between compared to somewhere like Italy or France but aside from that I am quite happy in my little house next to the beach
You live in Cádiz province and you say the food is second rate

Mental

Please swap with someone who will appreciate it

The seafood is lovely in Cádiz, the coquinas, chocos, tortillitas de camerones, langostinos. I ate so much in 4 days that I got uric acid problems Even the papas alinyadas are nice

I should add, as for places of interest... Parque Donyana is pretty amazing, El Rocio, Cádiz itself which is full of theatres, the ruta of the Pueblos Blancos, the history of Medina Sidonia and Arcos de la Frontera, the prehistoric settlements scattered everywhere, Grazelema and the Sierra, loads of mountain lakes and steams to explore. And if you love flamenco, then the best place on earth.

What places of interest exactly are you missing?

Last edited by cricketman; Sep 1st 2011 at 11:10 am.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:04 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yes, good points Domino! Even 10 years ago when things were good most Brit bars were lucky to last a year. We had another couple on here who did not listen, accused a lot of posters of being negative. The bar lasted about 3 months and they were back in the UK.

Remember too that most bars do not have any view unless you pay a much higher rent.
decided many many years ago, after sampling bar life from the customer side, that I didnt like the thought of the hard work in running one for what to me seems to be small return, even when volume is there. where else can you buy the use of a table and chair and (if its there) the view for 20-30mins for a princely €1.50\€1.80 and get a bite to eat as well. even now when in bars cafes etc I am always looking at the staff, the product, the customers, the costs, the sales. No thank you !! much better to be on the customer side.

yes, even in my part of Spain we have had bars start up and bars go bust. one near us is very conveniently located to the local police HQ, good passing trade from police and "customers", also local driving schools pick up as there is plenty of free parking, opens abt 10, slack period 3-7, closing up at 12,1, dependent on variables. but talking to owner I know it is hard graft, even for a Spaniard, but he enjoys it and it is a family business.

I have seen people take on pubs after divorce, not good news, too many strains on the relationship before the business gets its hold. When I split with my wife it did cross my mind - but never stopped !!

But - it is down to the individual at the end of the day, if it works then perhaps there can be more private time. But I haven't met anyone who can honestly say that actually happens, there is always the lure of another one down the road or next town.
It works for the Spanish because they are more family run business, invest more in the business, seem to have hidden money reserves (how the heck shops (not bars) can close down for the summer 6-8 weeks I don't know)
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:15 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

nah...just realistic from what i see and hear from others.

Running a bar was more of an adventure for me than a necessity and contrary to other opinions I enjoyed life and the views whilst having it (it was perched on raised ground at the back of a beach with views over to morocco). My main line of work is supplying kitchen appliances in the UK via my web site so I have fortunately never had to rely on the Spanish economy for anything. I wouldn't swap this place for anything but beyond the great climate I find there is very little I want from Spain. The food is second rate and places of interest to me are few and far between compared to somewhere like Italy or France but aside from that I am quite happy in my little house next to the beach
sounds to me like you visit second rate places that cater for the Brits. Always eat where the locals eat - in any country!

considering the depth of the comment then if places of interest are on the beach then it will not improve. Spain has so many places of interest but you really do have to get off the beach. Italy and France have places of interest but they have spent centuries telling everyone about them, Spain has kept it all to itself. Try the largest Cathedral in the World - in Spain.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
sounds to me like you visit second rate places that cater for the Brits. Always eat where the locals eat - in any country!

considering the depth of the comment then if places of interest are on the beach then it will not improve. Spain has so many places of interest but you really do have to get off the beach. Italy and France have places of interest but they have spent centuries telling everyone about them, Spain has kept it all to itself. Try the largest Cathedral in the World - in Spain.
Thats the trouble when people dont consume the local Spanish media or have Spanish friends, they dont know where to go.

Andalucia Directo on Canal Sur is great for picking somewhere to go at the weekend
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman
Thats the trouble when people dont consume the local Spanish media or have Spanish friends, they dont know where to go.

Andalucia Directo on Canal Sur is great for picking somewhere to go at the weekend
one day I popped into the local Tourist Office, bumped into a GDY, got talking, he told me - at 1130 IIRC - that he had "done" the Alhambra and was waiting for the coach to take him to Cadiz for the afternoon.
2 hours to "do" the Alhambra ...

I suppose taking foto's a la Japanesy - 1000 per hour of anything that does or doesnt move, might just jog your memory when you get home. But no drinking in the sights, the background, the history.
like, the room used for receiving ambassadors and dignitaries seemed smaller in real life than the famous painting of it.
like, wearing armour, how did they manage to move with any speed whatsoever down the narrow corridors?
like, how did they manage to live so close to each other every day?

having done it once, nearly all day, need to go back and learn it all over again. Experience.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

pointless trying to convert me to Spanish food as compared to Emilia romagna, Tuscany and Naples in my opinion this food is quite definitely second rate (in Italy you can walk in most places and enjoy good food without having to have in depth knowledge to track it down). You are entitled to your opinion and no I do not eat English food as a rule (although I have to own up to have a weakness for Cumberland sausages from the local English butcher in Sotogrande with heaps of brown sauce). I even flatly refused to serve chips in my chiringuito but I did manage to convert quite a few locals to preferring my risotto marinara in favour of the local paella.

Yeah I know what you are going to say that I should move to Italy but there are a number of reasons why I choose this little corner of Spain including climate, proximity to Gibraltar and great moroccan pollen. I have plenty of Spanish friends and keep in touch with Spanish news but have no desire to visit cathedrals, go to theatres or visit little white villages...as for the Sierras give me the alps any day. However, you are missing the point if you think I sound unhappy about living here because it provides me with just what I want. A house on a quiet beach in the middle of nowhere from where I can carry on my work and enjoy life by the sea without a care in the world away from judgemental people.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darrell1966
Nice to read something other than doom and gloom.

My brother always went away to Fuengirola for his hols and will not go back, he said they (shops bars restaurants) had priced themselves out of the market, maybe Benalmadena priced themselves INTO the market, it was always cheaper when I lived in Spain. I got drunk there on Irish coffees, what a hangover that was.
Priced themselves out of the market, yer having a larf, Los Boliches brit bars now, how long can you last flogging beer cheaper than a Supermarket.

Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

ya see Domino the wonderful thing about this world is the variety of people within it and their opposing views.

As a victim of having been dragged to the Alhambra twice I would say 2 hours was more than enough. Couldn't see what people think is so special about the place poorly maintained and completely unimpressive in my opinion.

incidentally, just to prove you can enjoy nice views while working attached to this is a view from behind my bar last year
Attached Thumbnails Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?-mirador.jpg  

Last edited by EllisG; Sep 1st 2011 at 12:56 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

ya see Domino the wonderful thing about this world is the variety of people within it and their opposing views.

As a victim of having been dragged to the Alhambra twice I would say 2 hours was more than enough. Couldn't see what people think is so special about the place poorly maintained and completely unimpressive in my opinion.

incidentally, just to prove you can enjoy nice views while working attached to this is a view from behind my bar last year
That is fantastic. Well worth turning over a loss for

Spain is ace.

I see from your earlier post that you refused to do fries and served risotto instead of paella. That is a big (huge) difference between you and me, I would never be so arrogant as to tell the people what they want, I would listen and give them what they want.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
Priced themselves out of the market, yer having a larf, Los Boliches brit bars now, how long can you last flogging beer cheaper than a Supermarket.
That is what he said, and he is not really a liar.

Brit bars are not really his thing, loads of them here.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

pointless trying to convert me to Spanish food as compared to Emilia romagna, Tuscany and Naples in my opinion this food is quite definitely second rate (in Italy you can walk in most places and enjoy good food without having to have in depth knowledge to track it down). You are entitled to your opinion and no I do not eat English food as a rule (although I have to own up to have a weakness for Cumberland sausages from the local English butcher in Sotogrande with heaps of brown sauce). I even flatly refused to serve chips in my chiringuito but I did manage to convert quite a few locals to preferring my risotto marinara in favour of the local paella.

Yeah I know what you are going to say that I should move to Italy but there are a number of reasons why I choose this little corner of Spain including climate, proximity to Gibraltar and great moroccan pollen. I have plenty of Spanish friends and keep in touch with Spanish news but have no desire to visit cathedrals, go to theatres or visit little white villages...as for the Sierras give me the alps any day. However, you are missing the point if you think I sound unhappy about living here because it provides me with just what I want. A house on a quiet beach in the middle of nowhere from where I can carry on my work and enjoy life by the sea without a care in the world away from judgemental people.

You sound like a "grass is greener" kind of person.

You wouldnt be very close to the Alps in Tuscany or Naples. The point is that Cádiz province offers so much, but you just dismiss it all as rubbish. Pure ignorance
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darrell1966
That is fantastic. Well worth turning over a loss for

Spain is ace.

I see from your earlier post that you refused to do fries and served risotto instead of paella. That is a big (huge) difference between you and me, I would never be so arrogant as to tell the people what they want, I would listen and give them what they want.
they had the choice to go elsewhere, a lot didn't ...saying that, risotto was not often on the menu only as a special not out of arrogance, no one forced anyone to eat it but I wanted to make an effort to introduce a little variety to the standard offerings ..99% of the food came off the BBQ - sardines, squid, ribs, lamb chops, burgers (real beef not the half pork half chicken things a lot of beachside places sell) etc accompanied by a salad with a balsamic dressing the locals went mad for and jacket potatoes (no fryers for chips).

As you noticed from the pic, the place and the view is a bit special and we had some great business from June to August day and night...then September hit where some days I could wait hours just to sell a coffee. I accept the place I was in was particularly seasonal but my advice to you mainly comes from a friendship between me and the guy who has owned my local chiringuito (50 metres from my house) for the last 30 years. When I hear him complaining and see that he has free tables on a weekend and people having meals and leaving where before they would continue drinking it is not hard to see that times are especially hard
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:09 pm

well guess what - you can do that in Spain !!
just go where the locals are, away from the blackboard and chalk adverts for Roast Beef and Yorkshires.
Fish restaurant in Granada has people queueing to stand by the bar at 10pm, next to the queue for the restaurant but slightly shorter. The few guiri's who know of it have had it recommended by local hotels and never come away without a smile. even a beer is followed up by plate upon plate of fish tapas, no need for the seats next door, although it is a princely €2.00 a drink. You would be hard put to get a half of poorly looked after freezing cold "lager" for £1.70 in UK. one wag told me he didnt do crisps or food "it made the beer go flat!" but he didnt do any real ale.
it takes all sorts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.