Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?

Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?

Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

darrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is anywhere like the Costa Del Sol?

Originally Posted by EllisG
If Hillbilly won't as someone who ran a chiringuito last year and got out, I will. Last year was horrendous..this year the people who took it over are finding it even worse. My local chiringuito , in where you can historically never find a table at weekends, had plenty of availability this year even though the beach around it had more people than ever.

For many who are taking the decision to come out the emphasis is firmly on the word budget and since tourism is the main source of business for many ex pats your two target markets are due to be depressed ones for quite a few years to come.

Also you refer to starting your own bar cafe which requires English people to buy your wares ? Are you intending to come out here offering more unfortunate tourists the opportunity to obtain a greasy bacon sandwich or a sunday roast with all the trimmings ?...if so I sincerely hope you rethink your strategy there is little demand for that sort of place on the UK high street let alone the Spanish one.

Saying all that I cannot knock your desire to swap the UK for Spain just urge you to give the income stream a little more thought, this is a very different place to the Spain of 2001 and will need to change a lot more to before it starts to turn a profit again
Thanks for that reply, sorry that you could not get your chiringuito to turn a profit. What do you do now?

Running a cafe or a bar is not an absolute, I will have money to do something else if I wish but I just cannot think of anything I want to do. A bar cafe requires a very low investment so if it fails, like yours, I will have not lost very much and I will have enjoyed mine and the Mrs company sat in a lovely bar in Spain.

My customer targets are people from the UK, not to give them a greasy sandwich, to be able to chat and make them feel welcome properly.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

darrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lynnxa
if you have run bars then you know that the hours will be long - even if you have no customers
Long hours have little relation to how hectic or busy your life is.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

the area struggling most in Spain is the bit in between Bilbao and Tarifa
Canaries here I come
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
sad but true

my local was open 7 days a week last august - the rest of the year it closes on sundays

it's a community, not a tourist bar, with regulars of all sorts of nationalities

this year they have decided to close weekends - the town appears to be busier than last summer - but no-one is spending

you can very easily get a table at just about every restaurant on the main tourist drag - some have had only one or two tables in use when I've been there even at 'peak' dining hours

there's a rocky beach between the port & arenal areas, where all the chiringuitos are - a couple of them are busy - most seem to be pretty empty though

but the beach itself has been heaving at night - huge family after huge family there with their tables & chairs & bbqs or paella pans - cooking dinner for themselves & no doubt bringing their own drinks, too
It does not sound good, does it?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darrell1966
Canaries here I come
Just what you want when the cash is draining away..stuck on an island.

Remember, thumbing a lift back from Fuengirola is far easier than swimming back from Tenerife
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:54 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Darryl
I think what people are trying to say to you is "things are hard out here, things actually may be more comfortable business wise if you stay in the UK. The start up costs are more easy going and much lower than in Spain.

But you know all this because you have worked here before. but would still suggest you have a look at http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/busin...n/index_en.htm
and remember the costs you had when you were last out in Spain, they are a definite drag on a business startup.

Like others I have also had to look twice at your thoughts that running a bar would allow you to live an "unhectic life and the views/weather". you know that would not be true.

if you have any doubts at all, come out, move around, have a look at the business opportunities, the properties, the way of life and just soak in the fact that the country is not what it was 10 years ago. Oh and yes the streets will seem smaller than when last walking down them, its the same back home isnt it!
perhaps you will find an opportunity you hadnt thought about, but obviously it is much much better to do something which you feel comfortable with and expand into other areas later - market led!!

as you say, all businesses are for sale if the price is right, but if you are looking for a link to businesses for sale then try
http://spain.businessesforsale.com/s...sale-in-Malaga
or
http://www.businessforsalespain.com/

rgds
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

For me, the area I live on the Costa del sol was busier than ever this year. All the restaurants in Benálmadena Pueblo seemed to be full between July and August. And the places we go to on a Sunday are busy all year round, always need to book

And btw, Spain isnt in recession, the economy has been growing (very slowly) for the last few Qtrs, like it is in the UK.

Thats not to say it is the right thing to open a bar. Another British bar is the last thing the Costa Del Sol needs, but hey, if you want to do it, then its up to you.

As for crime increasing, that is just somone making stuff up.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Domino
Darryl
I think what people are trying to say to you is "things are hard out here, things actually may be more comfortable business wise if you stay in the UK. The start up costs are more easy going and much lower than in Spain.

But you know all this because you have worked here before. but would still suggest you have a look at http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/busin...n/index_en.htm
and remember the costs you had when you were last out in Spain, they are a definite drag on a business startup.

Like others I have also had to look twice at your thoughts that running a bar would allow you to live an "unhectic life and the views/weather". you know that would not be true.

if you have any doubts at all, come out, move around, have a look at the business opportunities, the properties, the way of life and just soak in the fact that the country is not what it was 10 years ago. Oh and yes the streets will seem smaller than when last walking down them, its the same back home isnt it!
perhaps you will find an opportunity you hadnt thought about, but obviously it is much much better to do something which you feel comfortable with and expand into other areas later - market led!!

as you say, all businesses are for sale if the price is right, but if you are looking for a link to businesses for sale then try
http://spain.businessesforsale.com/s...sale-in-Malaga
or
http://www.businessforsalespain.com/

rgds
Hi Domino, thanks for that unbelievably sound advice.
I would not even think about moving out there without an extended visit, so what you say makes perfect sense.

I actually wrote 'is there anywhere like the Costa del Sol?' and people seem to believe I wrote 'is it worth opening a bar?'. No idea why.

But you wrote "Like others I have also had to look twice at your thoughts that running a bar would allow you to live an "unhectic life and the views/weather". you know that would not be true."
Why would this not be true? Me owning a bar or a cafe would not affect the weather and nor would the views change.
Maybe I should have been clearer, when I say enjoying the weather I do not mean lying out in the sun (I have never done that), I mean looking up and seeing blue instead of grey, and when I mentioned the views I meant driving to work at the side of the Med, all the pretty white houses, the wonderful gardens etc. Things you may take for granted but are a million miles from terraced streets and grey skies of Preston.

It gets to you, it really does.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Just what you want when the cash is draining away..stuck on an island.

Remember, thumbing a lift back from Fuengirola is far easier than swimming back from Tenerife
You are quite negative, what do you do now?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I think people forget how cr*p parts of the UK are at times

And they also take things for granted as they get used to them.

The last 2 places I've lived him have had the most incredible views 1. Of the Arc de triumf and Parc Ciutadella in Barcelona and 2. Of the Sea and white village here on the Costa, and I'm ashamed to say that after the first month I've almost forgotten that the views were there.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cricketman
For me, the area I live on the Costa del sol was busier than ever this year. All the restaurants in Benálmadena Pueblo seemed to be full between July and August. And the places we go to on a Sunday are busy all year round, always need to book

And btw, Spain isnt in recession, the economy has been growing (very slowly) for the last few Qtrs, like it is in the UK.

Thats not to say it is the right thing to open a bar. Another British bar is the last thing the Costa Del Sol needs, but hey, if you want to do it, then its up to you.

As for crime increasing, that is just somone making stuff up.
Nice to read something other than doom and gloom.

My brother always went away to Fuengirola for his hols and will not go back, he said they (shops bars restaurants) had priced themselves out of the market, maybe Benalmadena priced themselves INTO the market, it was always cheaper when I lived in Spain. I got drunk there on Irish coffees, what a hangover that was.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cricketman
I think people forget how cr*p parts of the UK are at times

And they also take things for granted as they get used to them.

The last 2 places I've lived him have had the most incredible views 1. Of the Arc de triumf and Parc Ciutadella in Barcelona and 2. Of the Sea and white village here on the Costa, and I'm ashamed to say that after the first month I've almost forgotten that the views were there.
Don't take them for granted, they are special.

They are like vitamin D, you don't know your body is absorbing them but they are doing lots of good.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:37 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Domino, thanks for that unbelievably sound advice.
I would not even think about moving out there without an extended visit, so what you say makes perfect sense.

I actually wrote 'is there anywhere like the Costa del Sol?' and people seem to believe I wrote 'is it worth opening a bar?'. No idea why.

But you wrote "Like others I have also had to look twice at your thoughts that running a bar would allow you to live an "unhectic life and the views/weather". you know that would not be true."
Why would this not be true? Me owning a bar or a cafe would not affect the weather and nor would the views change.
Maybe I should have been clearer, when I say enjoying the weather I do not mean lying out in the sun (I have never done that), I mean looking up and seeing blue instead of grey, and when I mentioned the views I meant driving to work at the side of the Med, all the pretty white houses, the wonderful gardens etc. Things you may take for granted but are a million miles from terraced streets and grey skies of Preston.

Darryl
why do you think I am giving up on the UK and moving to Spain? the bright sunshine (ok its been like living in a frying pan the past 3-4 weeks), the lack of rain, getting up in the morning and knowing its going to be another nice day. living\working in a bar all day would not be my idea of "enjoyment" even as I look out on Veleta in the Sierras every day.

I have been round the world a couple of times in grey painted war canoes, visited many places more than once, been rooked by locals, spat on, sworn at, dropped off in the wrong place by taxi drivers.
I have found Spain a nice place, nice people, good weather, somewhere to put down new roots.
but then I am retiring, no bars except from the other side, no tapas except from the other side. no hassle with the Environmental Health (unless I catch something). And definately no Roast Beef and Yorkshires every day. I cook Spanish in the UK so its unlikely I will change.

30+ years ago my first visit was to Salou, early October, place was starting to close down from the summer. Bars up for sale all over the place, all sand blown and worn looking. Never fancied it, laugh at those TV progs where they have followed "plucky Brits" who have sold everything to take on a bar in Spain, living in a cramped flat above, no training, no idea of where to buy anything, no Spanish - but what the heck, its fun, until the bills cant be paid.

they are generally a good lot here on BE, wanting to put you off isnt because they cant afford the competition, just they don't want you to dive in without knowing the depth, whcih is currently shallow. yes business isnt what it was 10yrs ago, it did go up a little but it is down now, people and businesses are having to work harder to make the same profit whilst the revenue wants more. many Brits have gone home penniless, leaving houses unsold (in some cases unsaleable) but its funny that the younger Spaniards are going to UK to live and work.
as I said earlier, if you can come, look, decide based on what you see.
But ENJOY its your life and we won't have to pick up the pieces
rgds
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

You are quite negative, what do you do now?
nah...just realistic from what i see and hear from others.

Running a bar was more of an adventure for me than a necessity and contrary to other opinions I enjoyed life and the views whilst having it (it was perched on raised ground at the back of a beach with views over to morocco). My main line of work is supplying kitchen appliances in the UK via my web site so I have fortunately never had to rely on the Spanish economy for anything. I wouldn't swap this place for anything but beyond the great climate I find there is very little I want from Spain. The food is second rate and places of interest to me are few and far between compared to somewhere like Italy or France but aside from that I am quite happy in my little house next to the beach
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:47 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, good points Domino! Even 10 years ago when things were good most Brit bars were lucky to last a year. We had another couple on here who did not listen, accused a lot of posters of being negative. The bar lasted about 3 months and they were back in the UK.

Remember too that most bars do not have any view unless you pay a much higher rent. There are some fab views on the CDS but like anywhere else there are also some grotty places. Some bars are tucked under apartment blocks resembling slovakia.

Last edited by jackytoo; Sep 1st 2011 at 10:50 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.