Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone read the Daily Mail for 2/6/05?

Anyone read the Daily Mail for 2/6/05?

Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone read the Daily Mail for 2/6/05?

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Without sounding prudish, that's one of the reasons we want out of here.
Then if you are looking at coming to Spain, don't pick an expat area. Integrate into the Spanish community you should be alot happier, I have and am moreso. I avoid the expats like the plague.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mercedes
But I don't think you are any safer in the UK. If they are using this method in Spain, trust me it won't be long before it is happening in UK. Its about putting measures in to help prevent crime happening to you. You can get biological detectors that you put into your house to detect gasses etc. The trouble with a lot of ex pats is they get pissed and drop their guard, because they think they are safer. I've seen women staggering home in the early hours in the morning pissed out of their head, and they wonder why something happens to them. Same with handbags being nicked, watch around and you will see many people with purses open and them not being aware whats going around them. I have often walked up to a woman and told her to close her purse, change arms etc. I personally think people should put better security measures in and be more aware instead of running home. Because who is to say they will be safer.
Mercedes

I agree with you totally, it does'nt matter where you go you can find the same thing happening, even Florida as the previous post suggests, our UK property is in a quiet location on the North Wales coast that is also a tourist area. We have been burgled in our sleep about 8 years ago and more recently heard intruders in the house but they escaped before i could tackle them much to my wifes relief. We and the neighbours have had vehicles broken into. Since the last break in, i have fitted a full alarm system and all vehicles we own have visible alarms. We have no intention of moving (until i move to my Spanish house full time) and it is true that taking precautions do make you feel safer. Mercedes suggestion of gas sensors is an excellent way of feeling safer, linked to an auable alarm it would certainly stop any potential gassers from proceding. Any area where there is movement of people for seasonal work carries similar risks, our place in spain is rural and very spanish, all our neighbours are spanish. I consider the area very safe but we will still be fitting an alarm shortly and maybe gas sensors as Mercedes suggests. I empathise totally with anyone who has been a victim of crime in Spain, and the current trends are very worrying, but things are not much better in the UK, slow police pesponse times and little done after the event (to busy with speed camera vans, 6 police cars and a van in a 30mph zone near us a least twice a week). Lets hope that regional government in Spain addresses the problem sooner than later, as their econimy is closley linked to tourism and foriegn investment in property. At present there seems to be no short term fix other than increased security and avoiding potential areas of danger. Best wishes to all.

Paul
Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:19 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

But sibsie,
Why did you go to spain in the first place please?
I bet it was for the sun.
But then again, you could have gone to Florida......couldn't you?
Do you still have relatives in spain?
No it wasn't for the sun. If that were the case then I wouldn't be living in Northeast USA where we get blizzards, six month winters and Nor'Easters.

I wanted a slower pace of life and a different way of life. I'd been working my arse off for years, had made money on my house in London and wanted to kick back for a while. True enough that there is crime all over the place but having lived in London for 36 years I was problem free.

I think the big difference with Spain is the apparent lack of interest by the local police and Guardia Civil, especially if you're foreign. I went in to report one of my burglaries and they told me to come back with a "Spanish person". My Spanish was more than capable of explaining it fully to them, but sure enough I had to go home and come back with a good friend who was a local. They then spent a good 20 mins or so quizzing me on why I lived alone and wasn't married.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Spanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really nice

Without sounding prudish, that's one of the reasons we want out of here.

ACD
You know what was threatened to me from inside this thread, guess what nothing happened,

If you live in London, Manchester, Merseyside, Birmingham you don't get anaesthetic to be robbed you get shot, sometimes dead!!

As I have stated keep clear of eastern to southern eastern Spain unless you are one of them, or a very good liar.

Then again a serious job opportunity waits maybe for you and I?

We want to retire but can we?

I can show you paradise, but you must keep it secret!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Paradise?
Tell me more
Old Jun 10th 2005, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Spanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really nice

Paradise?
Tell me more
OK Christmas in Paradise
Attached Thumbnails Anyone read the Daily Mail for 2/6/05?-dscf0036.jpg   Anyone read the Daily Mail for 2/6/05?-dscf0061.jpg   Anyone read the Daily Mail for 2/6/05?-pc310052.jpg   Anyone read the Daily Mail for 2/6/05?-pc290019.jpg   Anyone read the Daily Mail for 2/6/05?-picture-077.jpg  

Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spanishliferules
OK Christmas in Paradise
Where is this place?
Is it hot and sunny all year round
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Where is this place?
Is it hot and sunny all year round

no es just sol, es no calor christmas a little spanish / english it all helps. But note the lack of people, no people = no well never no, but very little crime untill it is popular, we don't want it so that is why it is a secret. + paradise and it is christmas, en playa fishing, en club de golf, la senda es perfecto y no mafia.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Looks very like a spanish area I was in a few years ago, only ever saw one other brit car, the rest were spanish & french.
A lovely place, and out of town unbelievable even better
Cheers
Jerry
Old Jun 12th 2005, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

bluebell is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd just like to say that I live in a coastal town in the South of England & I never go out at night (except in a taxi) because it just isn't safe. There are youths wandering around looking for trouble, who would think nothing of mugging a woman on her own, for a few pounds !

Even men have to be careful, because drunken yobs will pick a fight with anyone & there have been lots of fatal stabbings & beatings, so I assure you that the UK is no 'safer' than anywhere else.

Like Mercedes, I believe it's best to be in a Spanish community where the neighbours get to know you & will keep an eye on your place when you're not there. That's what we've found anyway, besides the fact that our home in Spain is small & extremely unpretentious, so not the sort of place which burglars would look at twice !

The world is full of criminals, unfortunately, so we all have to be aware of this & be careful at all times !

Changing the subject, how easy is it to fill in a 210 Tax form. Does anyone know a web site that gives information on how to do this.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluebell
I'd just like to say that I live in a coastal town in the South of England & I never go out at night (except in a taxi) because it just isn't safe. There are youths wandering around looking for trouble, who would think nothing of mugging a woman on her own, for a few pounds !

Even men have to be careful, because drunken yobs will pick a fight with anyone & there have been lots of fatal stabbings & beatings, so I assure you that the UK is no 'safer' than anywhere else.

Like Mercedes, I believe it's best to be in a Spanish community where the neighbours get to know you & will keep an eye on your place when you're not there. That's what we've found anyway, besides the fact that our home in Spain is small & extremely unpretentious, so not the sort of place which burglars would look at twice !

The world is full of criminals, unfortunately, so we all have to be aware of this & be careful at all times !

Changing the subject, how easy is it to fill in a 210 Tax form. Does anyone know a web site that gives information on how to do this.
Hi,
I live in a south west england coastal town, not so many problems here,
But who knows of the future,
However none of it sounds as extreme as the new gas burglaries , etc ,
Cheers
Jerry