Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone living in Malaga or Torremolinos?

Anyone living in Malaga or Torremolinos?

Old Sep 1st 2013, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Tanis13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone living in Malaga or Torremolinos?

Hi.

Looking for some information in the areas of Malaga and Torremolinos. I will be staying in Torremolinos for 4 days from the 15th - 19th Sep then heading to Madrid for a few day and probably back to Malaga.

Can someone direct me to a good web site that deals with renting an apartment or flat sharing and maybe a local job site too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

P.s. Could someone tell me how much a single train or bus ticket from Torremolinos to Madrid is? as I cant seem to find this information.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone living in Malaga or Torremolinos?

Originally Posted by Tanis13

P.s. Could someone tell me how much a single train or bus ticket from Torremolinos to Madrid is? as I cant seem to find this information.
Buy a ticket from Málaga to Madrid. The local (cercanias) train fare to/from Torremolinos is incuded 'free' - unless things have changed in the last few months.

Prices vary according to train and whether or not you manage to get an offer, but in general it's expensive. Try here for info http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

The bus is usually much cheaper but takes far longer.

Last edited by rachelk; Sep 1st 2013 at 9:30 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much Rachelk
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

alternatively, Air Europa or Iberia...you could fly Malaga-Madrid for 70 euros return
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

We recently booked return tickets on the AVE from Malaga-Madrid for just under €80 each (booked about 6 weeks in advance). We could have got cheaper tickets but preferred the departure times we chose.

If the fares are comparable I prefer the AVE because there isn't the need to get from Malaga centre to the airport, and from Barajas into the centre of Madrid (which is an awkward journey involving changing trains), we can take suitcases at no extra cost, don't have to arrive at the station until 10 minutes before departure and there's more leg room on board.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:26 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

Looking for some information in the areas of Malaga and Torremolinos. I will be staying in Torremolinos for 4 days from the 15th - 19th Sep then heading to Madrid for a few day and probably back to Malaga.

Can someone direct me to a good web site that deals with renting an apartment or flat sharing and maybe a local job site too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Good luck finding a job, with unemployment running at around 30% oficially, and probanly higher in reality for native Spanish speakers, you would have to have niche skills to get anything better than casual work at, say, €5 an hour.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information guys. As I am on a bit of a budget so flights are out, plus I would rather see some of Spain through a window at ground level .

Im only putting out some feelers as thinking of living somewhere other than the UK maybe next year and see how it goes. This will be based on what happens with my uni application for next year.

I am a qualified barber and have done many jobs including bar work or retail.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

As someone else has already said, there is only very limited casual work around and there is no shortage of "Barbers" As a Brit you would be snubbed in Torremolinos by the locals (Zero Chat potencial) ( A haircut in Torremolinos costs between 5 and 9 Euros) and the expat community starts to evaporate in October.
Benalmadena could be better, there are only 2 Brit male hairdressers as far as I know and a lot of expats.
However given that small business closures are the order of the day here, I would suggest that you look into some of the areas of Spain where unemployment is in low single figures. From what I hear the people in the queues outside the local Employment offices are are never completely serviced and many have to return another day. Unemployment of the <29yr olds stands at 54%.
Good luck.
M
Old Sep 6th 2013, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Funny & a bit spooky you should mention Benalmadena M, my friend whom I am going on holiday with mention taking a trip into Benalmadena for the day and I was having a look at the towns visitors guide, looks very nice and some interesting attraction, so defo worth a look.

In regards to working in Spain to start with I would go where there was a big expat community until my Spanish was at least at conversational level and I would not be looking to open my own barber shop, too risky both here and abroad, would rather work for an established barber shop.

Thanks for all the replies been a great help.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

You can check this web site: Costa del Sol, Spain
Old Sep 6th 2013, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much jonnyx, that site looks very good and informative. Cheers!
Old Sep 6th 2013, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Funny & a bit spooky you should mention Benalmadena M, my friend whom I am going on holiday with mention taking a trip into Benalmadena for the day and I was having a look at the towns visitors guide, looks very nice and some interesting attraction, so defo worth a look.

In regards to working in Spain to start with I would go where there was a big expat community until my Spanish was at least at conversational level and I would not be looking to open my own barber shop, too risky both here and abroad, would rather work for an established barber shop.

Thanks for all the replies been a great help.
The Benalmadena Marina is one of the best in the world for visual impact, prices are high apart from the Wok place. Benalmadena has the highest concentration of expats in the area, about 5 yrs ago it was reputed to be about 70%. It has gone to the dogs in the last couple of years with bars committing economic suicide trying too compete. Beer can still be found at 1Euro a pint, now most are around 1,50 though. This compares to Torremolinos at around 3 Euros a pint.
Good luck and have fun..................
M
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

One idea is buy an open jaw ticket into Malaga, AVE train to Madrid and fly home from there.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 7:53 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
However given that small business closures are the order of the day here, I would suggest that you look into some of the areas of Spain where unemployment is in low single figures. From what I hear the people in the queues outside the local Employment offices are are never completely serviced and many have to return another day. Unemployment of the <29yr olds stands at 54%.
Good luck.
M
Er...where is there unemployment in single figures in Spain

If the Barbers are like the Womens hairdressers, they do not employ anyone, they just rent the chairs.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry I'm a bit out of date, the lowest area now has about 15% unemployment, The Basque country. However this is much better than Andalusia.
We have Spanish speaking friends that have been in the catering/cafe business and that have a great many local contacts. They have only managed a few months casual work in the last 18 mths. As for the Hairdressing chairs, sounds like a good idea.....................
We had a pizzeria for 5 yrs and were bombarded with CVs from hopefuls especially during the last few years. I would not want to give anyone false hopes...........
M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.