Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

anyone living in ayamonte not ce or ic

anyone living in ayamonte not ce or ic

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:04 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: anyone living in ayamonte not ce or ic

u
Originally Posted by finca steve
Hi PL,

maybe its the cheap plonk that keeps me optimistic?

The pontoon we have is really only for small dinghies but we have a couple of sail boats on moorings. One is my 20 m schooner that hopefully we have sold and the other is a 30 foot Jeanneau sunlight which is the replacment sailing boat. Also there is a launch for commutting in the river and so on. You may have seen the schooner as she shows up well if the flight path of your plane comes into Faro from the west, it goes right down the river and turns west just north of us. Also if you ever go to Alcoutim in Portugal following the river road you will pass a look out point that is directly opposite us.

Sorry about the link but the eagle eyed moderator edited it out. It should be on my signature however.

Where did you finally end up?

Regards
Your place looks great Steve....why not get a coupleof Wayfarer dinghies or even something cheaper like a Bosun or Enterprise?? I could envisage a lot of nautical folks being attracted to your place with that as an added incentive... who knows you could even get RYA accreditation and run courses in the summer...I could come and teach for a week or two being a RYA dinghy instructor!!
We ended up in Chiclana..the very first place we looked at property. Scanned the length and breadth of Cadiz, Sevile and Huelva province, Ayamonte to Estepa, up near Arcos de la frontera, and around Moron. Glad we chose Chiclana in the end. Country feel, beach 20 mins, two excellent Ventas on the doorstep plus more excellent restaurants, culture in Jerez, Cadiz and Seville, plus loads of local ferias and Penas de Flamenco. Yes it takes a little more effort than signing on the dotted line having viewed a showhouse, but for the same price one can get a villa with one's own pool. I can see it's horses for courses but I am glad I came to where I did....in spite of the Levante howling when it does, the jitters about legal electricity, the chorus of dogs at dusk and the large cock that crows in the early hours of the morning...
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: anyone living in ayamonte not ce or ic

Hi poolounger,

I can vouch for the fact that the whole of Steve's setup is fabulous and Ann is a 4* Chef so you would not want for anything. We stayed in the log cabin in 2004

But sailing instruction? think Olympic standard in our youth and check Steve's surname on his website.

Watch out for the dog though its big and yellow and will lick you to death!

Regards,

John.
Originally Posted by poollounger

Your place looks great Steve....why not get a coupleof Wayfarer dinghies or even something cheaper like a Bosun or Enterprise?? I could envisage a lot of nautical folks being attracted to your place with that as an added incentive... who knows you could even get RYA accreditation and run courses in the summer...I could come and teach for a week or two being a RYA dinghy instructor!!
We ended up in Chiclana..the very first place we looked at property. Scanned the length and breadth of Cadiz, Sevile and Huelva province, Ayamonte to Estepa, up near Arcos de la frontera, and around Moron. Glad we chose Chiclana in the end. Country feel, beach 20 mins, two excellent Ventas on the doorstep plus more excellent restaurants, culture in Jerez, Cadiz and Seville, plus loads of local ferias and Penas de Flamenco. Yes it takes a little more effort than signing on the dotted line having viewed a showhouse, but for the same price one can get a villa with one's own pool. I can see it's horses for courses but I am glad I came to where I did....in spite of the Levante howling when it does, the jitters about legal electricity, the chorus of dogs at dusk and the large cock that crows in the early hours of the morning...
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 11:17 pm

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Well I didn't start sailing until some 14 years ago and am not sure which age group we fall into John..and just cause I am qualified to teach the basics of dinghy sailing doesn't mean I cannot learn from Steve....one never stops learning with sailing !! I am afraid I don't recognise his name but I was never that keen on racing...
It sure looks good out there and if I ever fancy a change from the Cadiz triangle I shall put it at the top of my list...that's what is so good about that part of Spain, so many different areas to explore in a concise (ish) area.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of
Wink Re: anyone living in ayamonte not ce or ic

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi poolounger,

I can vouch for the fact that the whole of Steve's setup is fabulous and Ann is a 4* Chef so you would not want for anything. We stayed in the log cabin in 2004

But sailing instruction? think Olympic standard in our youth and check Steve's surname on his website.

Watch out for the dog though its big and yellow and will lick you to death!

Regards,

John.
Steady boys, I maybe good but not that good, only International standard for large yachts!!!!!

PL - All your ideas are great and I have thought of them too but in the end we opted for a handy 30 footer as a start which is all the maintenance I now want.

Chiclana hey - no wonder you keep trying to chat Zoe up on the Costa Luz site, you monkey you.

John - you are too effusive in your compliments but thanks anyway and please stop telling everyone - it wont be our secret anymore!

Say hi to Kath from us.

Cheers
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 6:51 am

Steady boys, I maybe good but not that good, only International standard for large yachts!!!!!

PL - All your ideas are great and I have thought of them too but in the end we opted for a handy 30 footer as a start which is all the maintenance I now want.

Chiclana hey - no wonder you keep trying to chat Zoe up on the Costa Luz site, you monkey you.

John - you are too effusive in your compliments but thanks anyway and please stop telling everyone - it wont be our secret anymore!

Say hi to Kath from us.

Cheers
Now I have never chatted up Zoe or been on the Costa Luz site.....is there another Poollounger masquerading as me??? I may need to talk to you about moorings on that coastline, if i can ever afford to bring my boat down there..plenty of marinas with long waiting lists, but they always claim to have no knowledge of who owns the swinging moorings which is more my price bracket...
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi poolounger,

Don't know about you but I guessed from your wit, knowledge and sensible approach that you had that maturity that comes from being about old enough to draw your pension if you were female but too young to get as a man. If there is any truth in this Zoe tale I would say my guess is about right give or take a year or two.

We went the other way, fell in love with Conil but bought on CE for all sorts of sensible and commercial reasons and anyway we could not afford the prices in Roche!

Regards,

John.
Well I didn't start sailing until some 14 years ago and am not sure which age group we fall into John..and just cause I am qualified to teach the basics of dinghy sailing doesn't mean I cannot learn from Steve....one never stops learning with sailing !! I am afraid I don't recognise his name but I was never that keen on racing...
It sure looks good out there and if I ever fancy a change from the Cadiz triangle I shall put it at the top of my list...that's what is so good about that part of Spain, so many different areas to explore in a concise (ish) area.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi poolounger,

Don't know about you but I guessed from your wit, knowledge and sensible approach that you had that maturity that comes from being about old enough to draw your pension if you were female but too young to get as a man. If there is any truth in this Zoe tale I would say my guess is about right give or take a year or two.

We went the other way, fell in love with Conil but bought on CE for all sorts of sensible and commercial reasons and anyway we could not afford the prices in Roche!

Regards,

John.
Thanks for the compliment John.....but I am a few years away from earning my pension even if males had equality with females...though some people infer that I am semi retired anyway. My main gripe with places like CE and other urbanisations is going on holiday and being surrounded by other people from the UK on holiday too, who want to moan..sorry I mean chat.... about all the things one wishes to forget while in Spain. In Chiclana I have some nice English neighbours who are not often there, and some excellent Spanish ones who couldn't be more helpful or friendly, while maintaining their distance and allowing us privacy in the way the Spanish do.. Dinner was fun with a dictionary to hand, and we managed to chat beyond the peripherals. We also had a forum 'meet' in my local bar in Chiclana which was fun, putting faces to the names and now conversing direct.
One thing in life I detest is moaners...if people don't like something they should do something about it or shut up. Even in France I met so many Brits who spent all their time telling you about how awful Britain was and why they couldn't live there, rather than just saying that the French way of life was more appealing etc etc.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of

Now I have never chatted up Zoe or been on the Costa Luz site.....is there another Poollounger masquerading as me??? I may need to talk to you about moorings on that coastline, if i can ever afford to bring my boat down there..plenty of marinas with long waiting lists, but they always claim to have no knowledge of who owns the swinging moorings which is more my price bracket...
Hi PL,

Not too sure I am qualified to talk about moorings on the coast as the inlets I have been to all seem full. Sancti Petri is probaly the closest to you and is delightful and I think the moorings belongs to the fishermans asssociation or posssibly the yacht club. I stayed over one night bringing my boat back from the med, it was delightful and, bettrer, I was not charged. If you go to the harbour office perhaps they can advise. Other than that the Guadiana is free to anchor in but I wouldn't leave a boat here for any lenght of time unattended. Our schooner used to go walk about if it blew too hard which it often does.

I hope you find the time to bring your boat down (what is she?) and call in on your way past the river.

Hey ho back to the pool - cleaning and maintenance that is!!!!

Cheers
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:12 am

Hi PL,

Not too sure I am qualified to talk about moorings on the coast as the inlets I have been to all seem full. Sancti Petri is probaly the closest to you and is delightful and I think the moorings belongs to the fishermans asssociation or posssibly the yacht club. I stayed over one night bringing my boat back from the med, it was delightful and, bettrer, I was not charged. If you go to the harbour office perhaps they can advise. Other than that the Guadiana is free to anchor in but I wouldn't leave a boat here for any lenght of time unattended. Our schooner used to go walk about if it blew too hard which it often does.

I hope you find the time to bring your boat down (what is she?) and call in on your way past the river.

Hey ho back to the pool - cleaning and maintenance that is!!!!

Cheers
A pretty canoe sterned Victoria 800....like a Frances 26. Not sure if she is a hot climate boat, no bathing platform etc but as seaworthy as they get, probably reassuring if sailing in the Levante. You are right about Sancti Petri being pretty, although I hear there are plans afoot to develop the marina and the old harbour front. I have noiced that the larger sailing boats, meaning deeper keels too I presume ,unless they lift, are on swinging moorings, as I suspect the pontoons may be shallow draught. I wondered if in the time honoured Spanish way of doing things people merely laid their own moorings and were ignored by the harbour authorities in the smaller places ??
I have also considered swapping for a dayboat like a Hawk 20, trailable and fun in the sun I suspect.
When nearer the time I shall see how things are panning out.
Happy cleaning.....PL

Last edited by poollounger; Jul 24th 2006 at 4:15 am.