Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone know Itrabo & Salobrena area?

Anyone know Itrabo & Salobrena area?

Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

mrs teapot will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone know Itrabo & Salobrena area?

Hello,

I'm new (ish) here. I'll put the kettle on for you all, but whilst I'm brewing up can I ask:

Anyone know much about Itrabo and Salobrena? Is the Coast around that area all Sandy? Is the journey from the Coast to Itrabo one of the hairy mountain-side theme park style rides?

Right, the kettle's whistling, whose for tea? (Beer and wine to follow...!).
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know Itrabo & Salobrena area?

Hi mrs teapot,

Hope you have a new pot on the brew? This is my 2nd attempt at posting to your thread - did a "preview post" and then the screen went blank! Perhaps it thought my reply was too long...

Shortened/concise version:

Salobrena has 3 sandy beaches, all joined on one long strip. Plenty of chiringuitos, and BUSY during the summer.

East of Salobrena, there is the larger town of Motril, which has a working port/dock, but don't let that put you off (the town centre is very pleasant), as there are good, public beaches (playa del poniente, and los moriscos?) Pwwm, who lives near (Albunol) this area, would know more. My experience is only from holidays.

West of Salobrena, just below the castle and other side of the rock (el penon), is another sandy beach at La Guardia. You get there by going through La Caleta (quaint village), past the old sugar factory. The parking can get busy, too.

Further west, towards Almunecar town (also has a long sandy beach with amenities), there are several rocky coves. I've seen cars parked above on the main road, and access is on foot.

The road to Itrabo, hmmm. Is this the same road to Otivar? If so, then, yes, it is a white knuckle ride, but only beyond Otivar. We took the road up and over the mountain range, and ended up at Suspiro del moro, near to Granada!
We were cheering by that stage!

Hope this helps,
Carol
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

mrs teapot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone know Itrabo & Salobrena area?

Carol,

Thanks so much for replying (twice!). I appreciate it v. much. Yep, the kettle is on again. Milk and sugar? Strong or weak?

Wow, that is really helpful information. I prefer quiet untourist Spain and want to get in contact with pwwm (urgently, as I'm in his village in the next few days and want to pick his brains, that's if he doesnt mind) as his area is the one I prefer, however, I also want access to a Sandy beach, with ten minutes or so. I thought all the Coast was pebbly/stoney, until I read that the Salobrena part has some sand, but i didnt know where. However, I dont want too touristy, so its a toss of the coin.

Hmmm, I suspected as much regarding Itrabo journey from coast....but thanks for confirming!

I will bear in mind the information you have given me though, as its very useful.

If Pwwm is not around does anyone else know of any Sandy beaches near to La Rabita and any English speaking property solicitors in that area?

Thanks in advance, as you never know.

Kettle's whistling....

mrs teapot x