Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone know how to get onto free wifi networks in Spain?

Anyone know how to get onto free wifi networks in Spain?

Old Jun 20th 2010, 1:50 pm
Banned

pchelpinenglish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone know how to get onto free wifi networks in Spain?

Originally Posted by sabian
Hey Guys,

I live in the UK and am trying to save on telephone calls by transferring over to Skype and then as Spanish phone calls are so expensive I want to get skype working there as well as I got a holiday home in Calpe. I thinking of ordering from Skype's UK website the the Belkin Wifi phone and taken it over to Spain. I do not have a computer, telephone line or internet connection in Spain. So I am hoping to hop onto a free wifi network. Do you know how I can do this?

The belkin phone says the following 'Connect to any secured or open access WiFi network (that does not require browser-based authentication).'

I have a cafe near where I live in Spain and the cafe says free wifi but I think that is only if you buy a drink. But as I live basically within 250 meters from this cafe, would the phone be able to hop on to the network?

Or could I hop onto a neighbours wifi network?

With an internet cafe that asks you to buy a drink to use their wifi service, what if I just hop on to it, is there a way they can find out? I mean to just make or receive a phone call over skype to the UK and vice versa would be free and a phone call is not going to drain their bandwidth, it's not like I am downloading music or movies. Will they be able to see me on their system? would it even work?

Sorry there is a lot of questions but I was really hoping you could please help me

Many thanks in advance
for free read STOLEN. search for a cheap cyber... for exmaple in valencia there are numerous that charge 50 cents an hour i imagine in other towns also. jsut go in locutorios and ask the price. yes people candetect it. If i remove the password from my wi-fi router immediately the speed drops dramitcally from all the thieves.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

You would use someones internet if you could tap into it as you think that is fine, until told it is illegal, we pay for our internet and if like others here and we found someone tapping into it and using it free for what I pay for, then like others you would get slapped with my rolling pin.

Pay for your own, or like JDR says buy a drink.

yes we are secure, so no tapping in
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know for sure this illegality thing? I mostly use the village internet room (sign up & use their hardware as well as internet), home (dire speed issues but obviously convenient!) or the restaurant at 8yo's tennis club - wifi but they know who uses it & don't expect payment. However I often take laptop about with me & see if I can get on - I've always assumed that if a network is unsecured it means it's ok to use it. Maybe not? There are loads of networks on the costa areas but when you try to get on it detects you & asks for password or payment. That seems fair enough. But if no detection????
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sabian
The belkin phone says the following 'Connect to any secured or open access WiFi network
The Belkin phone is fantastic! I used one for years in the UK & am going to get another now to use in Spain. It's so good in fact that I used to use mine as a mobile phone when working from home & walk to the corner shop with it which was about 150m away.

What ultimately singles this phone out is the fact that it connects directly to the network so it doesn't need your pc to be on.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

john daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant future

You should change your name to Cheapskate. Have some money down like the rest of us.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

So, some of you think that your wifi is "secure" - it may very well be secure, but are you certain of that ?

What type of encryption are you using ? what sort of password ? Some questions to ask yourself.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Neil29649 is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you hve WPA Encryption, WEP can be cracked.

You can read an article about wifi leeching here:-

http://www.soltecspain.com/documents/wifileeching.pdf

If anybody needs any help let me know.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

WPA can be cracked also, particularly if the password is dictionary based.