Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone know how to get onto free wifi networks in Spain?

Anyone know how to get onto free wifi networks in Spain?

Old Apr 4th 2010, 3:23 am
Just Joined

sabian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone know how to get onto free wifi networks in Spain?

Hey Guys,

I live in the UK and am trying to save on telephone calls by transferring over to Skype and then as Spanish phone calls are so expensive I want to get skype working there as well as I got a holiday home in Calpe. I thinking of ordering from Skype's UK website the the Belkin Wifi phone and taken it over to Spain. I do not have a computer, telephone line or internet connection in Spain. So I am hoping to hop onto a free wifi network. Do you know how I can do this?

The belkin phone says the following 'Connect to any secured or open access WiFi network (that does not require browser-based authentication).'

I have a cafe near where I live in Spain and the cafe says free wifi but I think that is only if you buy a drink. But as I live basically within 250 meters from this cafe, would the phone be able to hop on to the network?

Or could I hop onto a neighbours wifi network?

With an internet cafe that asks you to buy a drink to use their wifi service, what if I just hop on to it, is there a way they can find out? I mean to just make or receive a phone call over skype to the UK and vice versa would be free and a phone call is not going to drain their bandwidth, it's not like I am downloading music or movies. Will they be able to see me on their system? would it even work?

Sorry there is a lot of questions but I was really hoping you could please help me

Many thanks in advance
Old Apr 4th 2010, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone know how to get onto free wifi networks in Spain?

250 metres?! There is no wifi signal that strong. No, there is no way you will be able to get on to their network from your residence.

If you can get yourself on to a neighbours' wifi without a password, count yourself lucky. Most people secure their wifi now, so your chances are slim.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 7:59 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Sabian. Would it be fair to use a connection someone else(your neighbour) is paying for ?
Go to the cafe and ask how it works. Maybe you don´t even have to buy a drink if you ask niceley......
Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

If you get a masmovil sim you can have access on a pay as you go basis. mas
Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:23 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a coffee you tightarse.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:22 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sabian
I have a cafe near where I live in Spain and the cafe says free wifi but I think that is only if you buy a drink. But as I live basically within 250 meters from this cafe, would the phone be able to hop on to the network?

A. Its probable that the wifi network at the cafe will be secure and therefore you will need a password which will be changed regularly

B. If I discovered that my next door neighbour was using my wifi without my permission (which is not possible because it is secure) I would either denounce them for theft, or go round there with a large frying pan.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 3:06 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

MacDonalds have free wi-fi (but you will probably have to buy a coffee).

I think tapping into someone else's wi-fi without their permission is actually illegal. It certainly is in the UK.

I remember two years ago in the UK when we first got our laptop, it picked up the next-door-neighbour's wi-fi, which was not protected, and our son went round and passworded it for him! (Then put us on his own network, I'm glad to say).

In Spain, in the house, we have dial-up only. We can get free wi-fi from the village school providing we officially sign up to it (which we have) but it is only open for a couple of hours a day in term-time. Other than that there is a local restaurant we go to if we want something faster than the dial-up - we have to stick our hands in our pockets for a coffee though. Which is fair enough imho.

Last edited by scampicat; Apr 4th 2010 at 3:09 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Small cafe owners are struggling just like everyone else. So, yes buying a coffee to use their wifi is the right thing to do.

McDonalds on the other hand, they don't care, and probably won't notice anyway.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 4:44 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

People are slowly catching on to the fact that its better not to advertise the SSID, always Disable Broadcast SSID then the person logging on to the network has to know the name of the network to connect to it.

Mc Donalds typically run a two router SSID's out their outlets one allows automatic connection but has no network access the other requires basic set up to connect, They drop the dialling in to some number to get a password a while ago. But you do need browser-based authentication for use there is no password it just stops automatic connections.

Considering the router is in the Cafe 250 mtr connection is unlikely, Using Mc Donalds as a example you can connect on most of their outside terraces but walk to the other side of the car park and it gone.

As others have suggested it would be better at looking at options that cost, Not the earth. Wifi site are an Ad hoc thing you can never rely on them.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
People are slowly catching on to the fact that its better not to advertise the SSID, always Disable Broadcast SSID then the person logging on to the network has to know the name of the network to connect to it.

Mc Donalds typically run a two router SSID's out their outlets one allows automatic connection but has no network access the other requires basic set up to connect, They drop the dialling in to some number to get a password a while ago. But you do need browser-based authentication for use there is no password it just stops automatic connections.

Considering the router is in the Cafe 250 mtr connection is unlikely, Using Mc Donalds as a example you can connect on most of their outside terraces but walk to the other side of the car park and it gone.

As others have suggested it would be better at looking at options that cost, Not the earth. Wifi site are an Ad hoc thing you can never rely on them.
with telefonica adsl the ssid is only broadcast when the wifi is on. when you dont use it for a while, it goes off.. so if you´ve a pc, or laptop via cable you can leave it turned off.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 5:53 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
with telefonica adsl the ssid is only broadcast when the wifi is on. when you dont use it for a while, it goes off.. so if you´ve a pc, or laptop via cable you can leave it turned off.
None of it matters if there is a Kismet user outside. As it allows raw data monitoring. You can even see what Dect cordless phones are doing
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Hey Guys,

I would like to say thank you for everyone that has posted

Firstly I had no idea hopping onto someones bandwidth was illegal. I don't want to do anything illegal.

I would go into macdonalds when I need to and buy a coffee to get some internet access. But I am talking about needing access direct from home.

Originally Posted by searcher48
If you get a masmovil sim you can have access on a pay as you go basis. mas
Hey searcher48, thanks for the link

I took a look at mas and this looks great, have you got this?

Do you think you could please tell me more about it?

On their website it says national calls are 6 cent a minute, do you know how much calls within spain that are to mobiles on other networks - during on peak/off peak, I can't find this information?

Also I see you can use free skype, but of course from a mobile you would have to use the networks roaming cost, or is that just the cost of using the internet, if so I see the cost of internet at 3 cents per MB with mas?

With mas I can use fring to access skype, but does skype through fring work on non compatible skype mobile phones?

Lastly, I have just joined 3pay the new sim from three which allows free skype to skype calls. and when you top up free 3 to 3 calls and free internet lasting 90 days. Well based on 150MB allowance. Now obviously that only works in the UK right? So I cannot make skype calls using that allowance while in Spain, is that right?

So would it be best to buy a Spanish skype compatible mobile phone and get fring with mas and then pay just 3 cents per MB which is still a lot, because fring say 1 minute = 133kb which is around 8 minutes taking up 1MB which costs 3 cents + skype cost to call the country. I am looking to use a skype top up account and not a skype subscription. Let's say I am in Spain with a UK or Spainish skype compatible mobile phone, then I want to call a Skype phone in the UK which would be free but then I would have to pay the roaming cost as internet data allowance which would be charged from mas at 3 cent's per MB so from the figures above. One minute would be around 0.37 euro cents which is 8 minutes divided by 3 cents the cost of an MB. Is that all I would pay then? Or have I got this all totally confused.

Would the connection also come from a Spanish mobile phone operator and not wifi? Because where I actually live, I am not near any wifi hot spots (well just the cafe with free wifi if you pay for a drink which is 250 meters away), but telefonica works very well as I have used their mobile phones. But would the mas signal be in my area?

Sorry for all the questions but I really want to sort this out as I need to stop my phone bills, they are so expensive and convert over to skype.

Any help much appreciated

Many many thanks in advance

Last edited by sabian; Apr 5th 2010 at 1:44 am.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
250 metres?! There is no wifi signal that strong. No, there is no way you will be able to get on to their network from your residence.

If you can get yourself on to a neighbours' wifi without a password, count yourself lucky. Most people secure their wifi now, so your chances are slim.
We use a Microwave Slingshot system at work and it travels 1/4 Mile.
DSB.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sabian
Hey Guys,

I live in the UK and am trying to save on telephone calls by transferring over to Skype and then as Spanish phone calls are so expensive I want to get skype working there as well as I got a holiday home in Calpe. I thinking of ordering from Skype's UK website the the Belkin Wifi phone and taken it over to Spain. I do not have a computer, telephone line or internet connection in Spain. So I am hoping to hop onto a free wifi network. Do you know how I can do this?

The belkin phone says the following 'Connect to any secured or open access WiFi network (that does not require browser-based authentication).'

With an internet cafe that asks you to buy a drink to use their wifi service, what if I just hop on to it, is there a way they can find out? I mean to just make or receive a phone call over skype to the UK and vice versa would be free and a phone call is not going to drain their bandwidth, it's not like I am downloading music or movies. Will they be able to see me on their system? would it even work?

Sorry there is a lot of questions but I was really hoping you could please help me

Many thanks in advance
Aside from obviously using your 'my computer / network' click click apply etc.
Install this neat little program. Up pops a radar screen and shows the red secure and green available. When it get's connected the browser will load to prove it for you...

Great if you are driving around :P
http://easy-wifi-radar.en.softonic.com/
DSB.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:27 am
Just Joined

Many thanks for your replies guys

I have been doing some more reading into this mas movil and it seems an excellent choice for me. It also works with fring which brings skype as well as a number of apps to your mobile. I just read that there is a mini fring for phones that don't support VOIP but I was wondering if anyone of you know if that works for non compatible VOIP mobiles?

I been reading that there is a whole community of phone app developers that are making skype apps for phones that don't normally work under VOIP. Instead they work with any phone that uses MIDP 2.0 and J2ME which my Sony Ericsson K608i supports. So this means that the phone can become a VOIP phone using these apps right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.