Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone know any 'secret' furniture shops?

Anyone know any 'secret' furniture shops?

Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of
Default Anyone know any 'secret' furniture shops?

Much as I want to contribute to the local economy, if I go to one more furniture shop and see a hall table, yes a hall table, about 1500mm x 600mm for FIVE GRAND then I'm sorry but I'm going to have to buy abroad and ship in. I also saw a bed I quite liked for €1200, ah but that doesn't include the mattress. Got home, checked tinternet and the same bed is 350 quid.

Tell me I can buy decent furniture on the Costa Blanca, or even further afield and I will, gladly.

If not then my career is sorted, I will begin importing furniture and promise, that I will only have everybody's pants down to the knees only.

Ste.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone know any 'secret' furniture shops?

You are obviously looking in the wrong shops!! We bought all ours from NG furniture, Torrevieja last July and they are storing for us until we move over found the prices very good. We were over this week and made a couple of other purchases from them. They had a good bed with under storage for 600 euro. Whilst driving round we saw other shops and popped in to compare and found prices to be reasonable, can't remember the names of them though.You may just have to spend more time looking, no doubt someone else will be able to recommend somewhere for you. Good luck
Old Apr 26th 2008, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by linda Coyle
You are obviously looking in the wrong shops!! We bought all ours from NG furniture, Torrevieja last July and they are storing for us until we move over found the prices very good. We were over this week and made a couple of other purchases from them. They had a good bed with under storage for 600 euro. Whilst driving round we saw other shops and popped in to compare and found prices to be reasonable, can't remember the names of them though.You may just have to spend more time looking, no doubt someone else will be able to recommend somewhere for you. Good luck
Hermanos Gomez, hae a couple of good value shops in Torrievieja, we bought bedroom and garden furniture from there at good prices,

For a huge selection of Furniture, have a day out in Yecla, on the Main Yecla to Vienna road about 2KMS from the town centre there must be about 80 furniture factory outlet stores (known as Furniture mile by the local expat community).
NB they all close from 2 til 4, but there is a really good restaurant just behind the Brico King store, at the beginning of the mile that do a really good Paella with lobster for about 12 €
Old Apr 26th 2008, 4:50 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Splatt
Much as I want to contribute to the local economy, if I go to one more furniture shop and see a hall table, yes a hall table, about 1500mm x 600mm for FIVE GRAND then I'm sorry but I'm going to have to buy abroad and ship in. I also saw a bed I quite liked for €1200, ah but that doesn't include the mattress. Got home, checked tinternet and the same bed is 350 quid.

Tell me I can buy decent furniture on the Costa Blanca, or even further afield and I will, gladly.

If not then my career is sorted, I will begin importing furniture and promise, that I will only have everybody's pants down to the knees only.

Ste.
If you go to Denia on the main road in from the N332 there are a number of furniture shops there. Failing that there are any number around here in Gandia / Oliva. Same as anywhere though, decent furniture doesn't come cheap. We had to pay a touch over €1000 to get a decent table and chair set for the balcony that wasn't plastic!

We also went to Ardy in Gandia the other day and thay have opened a new furniture shop. Most is flat pack and its budget stuff but I was suprised some of it was OK!!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:45 am
Just Joined

flood will become famous soon enough

Ste.
Ever heard of IKEA ? I don't know where your nearest one is, but our "local" one - two hours drive away - is the biggest one I was ever in. Only problem is it's CROWDED most of the time. The near-enuff teak garden furniture at Carrefour, Caprobo, and GiFi supermarkets is ludicrously cheap. Or do we only have these in Catalunia ?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies so far. I was hoping to be able to get stuff closer than Torrevieja, but then again I suppose it's only a few hours down the motorway.

I've had a quick look along the Denia to Ondara dual carriageway but not really found anything that took my fancy. About the best value I've come across so far is the Colonial furniture shop in Gata, but you have to really like colonial furniture.
Saw some really nice patio furniture in Altea but €600 per sun lounger is just a tad excessive if you ask me.

I'm about to part with a few thousand for beds tomorrow, and then the hunt will begin in ernest for the rest. I'll update this thread if I find any gems!

BTW I've also noticed that Spain hasn't really embraced the internet yet, whenever I do a search on Google.es the results are amazing, hardly any retailers. Those that do have a website look like the website was made in 1998 on frontpage. There's another two business ideas, web design and search engine optimisation.

I'm rambling, see you later.

Ste.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Sorry, forgot Flood. The nearest Ikea to me seems like it would be a mission to do. I've heard that someone does regular trips, but to be honest I've had enough of bookcases called 'Dave' or T.V units called 'Barry'!

Ste.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies so far. I was hoping to be able to get stuff closer than Torrevieja, but then again I suppose it's only a few hours down the motorway.

I've had a quick look along the Denia to Ondara dual carriageway but not really found anything that took my fancy. About the best value I've come across so far is the Colonial furniture shop in Gata, but you have to really like colonial furniture.
Saw some really nice patio furniture in Altea but €600 per sun lounger is just a tad excessive if you ask me.

I'm about to part with a few thousand for beds tomorrow, and then the hunt will begin in ernest for the rest. I'll update this thread if I find any gems!

BTW I've also noticed that Spain hasn't really embraced the internet yet, whenever I do a search on Google.es the results are amazing, hardly any retailers. Those that do have a website look like the website was made in 1998 on frontpage. There's another two business ideas, web design and search engine optimisation.

I'm rambling, see you later.

Ste.
I struggled to find stuff in Denia. Saw a lot of tasteful furniture but usually poorly made and then some well made stuff that was ridiculously priced.

The best shop I've found is Villa D'Arte in Denia. It is a bit expensive but the quality is good and very stylish. It's in Avenida del Montgo opposite a newsagents called Montgomail, which is just off Plaza Jaime the roundabout with very tall palm trees near the Monday/Friday market.

There is also a shop on the square facing the bus station in Denia - a bit pricey but good quality.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:44 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I found a guy at Pedregeur market who lives in Denia who makes furniture. We had a coffee table, a bookcase and a CD cabinet made by him so far. Its good stuff, nice and rusticy
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

How long would a "secret shop" stay in business??

Be a weird advert

"O'Mallys Furniture - guess where we are"
Old Apr 27th 2008, 6:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I know where there is a secret nuclear bunker
Old Apr 27th 2008, 6:13 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
I know where there is a secret nuclear bunker
Thats changing the subject slightly isnt it?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 6:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Same Difference
Thats changing the subject slightly isnt it?
Well it`s still secret, ;-)
They do have some council signposts to it though. lol
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:28 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Well it`s still secret, ;-)
They do have some council signposts to it though. lol
If I didnt know any better, I would say that is a slight hijack of this thread!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Just be warned, this thread has also has a secret SAS unit poised and ready to strike if anyone attempts to divert it to Cuba!

Oh, and thanks Montgo, I'll be sure to check those out.

Last edited by Splatt; Apr 27th 2008 at 9:37 pm.