Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone found out for not paying tax?

Anyone found out for not paying tax?

Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of
Default Anyone found out for not paying tax?

I rent my apartment out and dutifully complete and return the quarterly 215 rent declaration forms and taxes to the Hacienda. To comply with UK law I also declare the rent and spanish tax payments to IR

I have so far yet to meet any other non resident who rents their apartment who abides by the spanish tax rules. I am alittle angry

Does anyone ever get caught? Is there any risk at all?
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone found out for not paying tax?

round here they AFAIK assume that people not registered on the padron, and not residents are renting thier property out all year, and they were supposed to be having a crack down, and making people prove they didn't rent their place out. They have also done several people who were key holders, as they were not registered businesses. If you do fulfil all the requirements as to taxes, then you are in the best position. No need to be looking over your shoulder.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 11:11 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that has caught out a lot of landlords is the recent requirement for a Spanish taxpayer to give the address and catastral reference details of any property that they are living in.

This is then cross checked to see if the landlord has declared the income. Thousands of people have been caught out this way.

So the moral is only do holiday lets to non taxpayers.

It is also worth remembering that as normal tax revenues have dropped so much because of the economic situation, the government will now be doing everything possible to claw back tax that is not declared.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Katya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the rough

Hiya

Over the last few days ive been doing alot of research on taxes etc that both my husband and i will be eligible for and not eligible for. But what surprises me is that the number of times ive asked people this week ( Who are resident) who they used to complete there spanish tax returns etc - all seemed shocked and have never ever completed one and never paid taxes!!!

Kat x
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:27 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katya
Hiya

Over the last few days ive been doing alot of research on taxes etc that both my husband and i will be eligible for and not eligible for. But what surprises me is that the number of times ive asked people this week ( Who are resident) who they used to complete there spanish tax returns etc - all seemed shocked and have never ever completed one and never paid taxes!!!

Kat x
Perhaps we should now merge the two threads - this one and "why do the Spanish hate us brits". Is it any wonder when we come and live in their country and then contribute little and abuse their laws?!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Katya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the rough

I agree ! If back in the UK you wouldnt stand a chance of not paying your taxes !! But the question is - does anyone get caught up with ?
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

I've been waiting nearly 2 years for a tax rebate from the Spanish IR & I'm not holding my breath of seeing it in the near future.
It's seems to me that there tax system is antiquated to say the least
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:18 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrismortley
I've been waiting nearly 2 years for a tax rebate from the Spanish IR & I'm not holding my breath of seeing it in the near future.
I filled in my first tax return last year (or my acessor did) - no income, no pension etc. etc. I then got a letter from whom ever stating that I was owed 13e rebate It was in my bank within the month.

How's that then, pay no tax and get a rebate !!!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:21 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Just what we need in a time of economic downturn and civil spending droughts, more tax bludgers!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

I don't want to get involved with the issue of Tax avoidence ,I personally have a clear conscience in the UK & Spain on the subject.
But if the Spanish IR were serious about Tax evasion I think nearly every resident & non resident must have an NIE number & pay utility bills so it wouldn't take Sherlock Homes to track down non payers

Last edited by chrismortley; Mar 27th 2009 at 1:39 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 4:50 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chrismortley
I work and pay my tax in spain (11 years) and every year I do my tax declaration and every year I get a rebate (sometimes substantial) within 6 months.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Yes.

My point is non resident Brits who clearly do not pay tax on rental income. I woulod have thought it a no brainer to send a little warning letter to anyone oowning a property who has not handed in a quarterly 215 declaration. Crikey if they cross referenced it with utility bills they could even fine tune the mail out.

Even my accountant in Spain thought i was barmy declaring rental income if all that rental income was received from Brits, in sterling in the UK. His very "unaccountant " riposte was " how will they know".

Blooming heck!

But back to my question. Has anyone EVER been caught? I see no evidence of it - and that makes me feel a fool for bothering.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:10 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

tax man been watch website and papers for rently ...

Mate i know off , stayed in apartments beside Alicante , he was there 2 weeks last summer but when he ask for receipt , was told be sent on two him ... ya right ,( he never got it ) if had know this i would taken money off him and pay the owner if got the receipt , so he reported him to UK and Spanish tax men ....

Now the Uk owners have rang him and told him if that ever see him in spain that will kill him ..... tax man is not happy with the 5 years off non payment off tax ....
Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:35 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Yes.

My point is non resident Brits who clearly do not pay tax on rental income. I woulod have thought it a no brainer to send a little warning letter to anyone oowning a property who has not handed in a quarterly 215 declaration. Crikey if they cross referenced it with utility bills they could even fine tune the mail out.

Even my accountant in Spain thought i was barmy declaring rental income if all that rental income was received from Brits, in sterling in the UK. His very "unaccountant " riposte was " how will they know".

Blooming heck!

But back to my question. Has anyone EVER been caught? I see no evidence of it - and that makes me feel a fool for bothering.

That's what Jack the Ripper said
Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jurdyr
tax man been watch website and papers for rently ...

Mate i know off , stayed in apartments beside Alicante , he was there 2 weeks last summer but when he ask for receipt , was told be sent on two him ... ya right ,( he never got it ) if had know this i would taken money off him and pay the owner if got the receipt , so he reported him to UK and Spanish tax men ....

Now the Uk owners have rang him and told him if that ever see him in spain that will kill him ..... tax man is not happy with the 5 years off non payment off tax ....
Hmmm... I think I get the gist of that.

If the taxman has "been watch website and papers for rently ..." then he doesn't seem to take much action (if i understand that part sentence).

Your next point is entirely different and is based on a renter reporting his landlord - in this case i would expect action.

As for your final point (as far as I understand it), I fail to see how if "that ever see him in spain that will kill him". Did they ask for photos when he rented the place? Why not give him a receipt? Stupid. You can print receipts on used bog paper.

Anyway, still no evidence of Spanish taxman catching Brit rental tax evaders -except by "snitching".

Any evidence?

This is madness!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.