Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone changed their nationality yet?

Anyone changed their nationality yet?

Old Aug 22nd 2006, 3:48 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone changed their nationality yet?

Does anyone know exactly what is required to get naturalized in Spain?

I've tried googling this one but keep ending up with the reverse situation - how to change your nationality TO British, not from it.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone changed their nationality yet?

These two web sites may be of help:

http://www.conpapeles.com/Solicitud-...B1ola-pag7.htm

http://www.mju.es/mnacionalidad.htm#

I know they are in Spanish but one of the qualifications for obtaining Spanish nationality is being able to demonstrate a proficiency in the language and a working knowledge of Spanish history.

Last edited by Beachcomber; Aug 22nd 2006 at 4:29 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:38 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
These two web sites may be of help:

http://www.conpapeles.com/Solicitud-...B1ola-pag7.htm

http://www.mju.es/mnacionalidad.htm#

I know they are in Spanish but one of the qualifications for obtaining Spanish nationality is being able to demonstrate a proficiency in the language and a working knowledge of Spanish history.
I´ve just quickly scanned through those links and basically it seems you need to be resident for 10 years, apart from some special cases, and have no previous convictions.

It also mentions about being able to speak Spanish, but I couldn't see anything about a knowledge of Spanish history (and my knowledge is pretty crap). Where did that come from?

No other requirements seem to be required unless I missed something.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 5:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Does anyone know exactly what is required to get naturalized in Spain?.
What are the advantages of becoming a Spanish citizen?
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 6:19 pm
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by Fred James
What are the advantages of becoming a Spanish citizen?
If you are a member of the EU there are no significant advantages.

However, it irritates me that I have to carry my passport when I go abroad, or even just to Gibraltar, whereas all the spanish just take their ID cards.

Also, there are certain things that you can only do if you are a Spanish citizen - such as enter national competitions. I realise this probably isn't relevant for the vast majority of people, but my wife rode horses competitively and would like to take part in Spain, but is currently prevented from doing so at National level because she only has residency here.

If obtaining Spanish nationality meant giving up British nationality I don't know if we will go through with it, but if we can have dual nationality status that would be great.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If obtaining Spanish nationality meant giving up British nationality I don't know if we will go through with it, but if we can have dual nationality status that would be great.

Interesting reasons for applying that I would not have thought about.

As I understand it, the UK will not allow you to give up UK citizenship even if you legally renounce it in another country.

You will always have dual nationality.

Most of the passport problems would be solved if the UK signed the Schengen agreement or introduced proper ID cards.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 10:28 pm
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by Fred James
Interesting reasons for applying that I would not have thought about.

As I understand it, the UK will not allow you to give up UK citizenship even if you legally renounce it in another country.

You will always have dual nationality.

Most of the passport problems would be solved if the UK signed the Schengen agreement or introduced proper ID cards.
What is the schengen agreement? I have never heard of it.

I wish the UK had ID cards when I was there - it's only since I've been living here in Spain that I have realised how much smoother they make beaurocracy and how much securer you are with them.

If that is true about dual nationality then we will definitely go for it.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 6:43 am

It is an agreement signed 21 years ago by most of the EU member staes (and some others) which allows crossing of borders without passport controls. For non EU nationals wishing to visit the Schengen countries, only one visa is required.

The two major countries that did not sign are the UK and Ireland.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

I wish the UK had ID cards when I was there - it's only since I've been living here in Spain that I have realised how much smoother they make beaurocracy and how much securer you are with them.

If that is true about dual nationality then we will definitely go for it.
I believe it is (I did read it somewhere as I am going to apply for dual nationality in the near future).

As for the ID cards, I've always thought that since I was a boy, having seen how well they worked here and never understood the fuss in the UK other than unfounded paranoia.