Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone broken a leg in Spain or UK

Anyone broken a leg in Spain or UK

Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone broken a leg in Spain or UK

thanks, I was on those stomach protector things, I didn't realise that's what they did so thks for clarifying. Funny I found a blood test result in the x ray envelope - I didn't know it was routine.

Amasing how many people have broken bones on this forum! How on earth do you cope if you break both legs? must be awful, or 1 leg & 1 arm.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:04 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I have had more than my share of broken bones in UK and spain. Really heavy duty pain killers but never anti-coagulants. I expect your doctor will encourage you to weight bear as soon as you are able. I understand this encourages healing.

Medilast make a good range of compression socks

http://www.medilast.com/web.asp?lang=en
I find their flight socks help with circulation.

and for sports>
http://www.medilast-sport.com/web.asp?mod=catalogo

You can order online or buy at the Farmacia.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:05 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

How on earth do you cope if you break both legs? must be awful, or 1 leg & 1 arm.
A friend of mine broke both wrists, she was completely helpless.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

gosh both wrists, do they let you stay in hospital or send you home? must be awful.

I hope to be putting weight on it soon.

Thanks all +ve posters here, just 1 silly comment of 20 or so useful ones. Much appreciated.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:37 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

The son in law of a Spanish friend got his hand caught in a planer, mercifully not too badly, but it damaged his ability to work as it was his w***ing hand. When I pointed that out to them I thought they were going to choke laughing.

He ended up with his hand in one of those funny devices for some time while the doctors did some serious restoration work.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:39 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy View Post
hey HBG, why was she on sticks? I am on crutches & can't put any weight on it at all. Also, I have to wear a compression sock thingy which makes the rotation excercises difficult.

Any other tips welcome, I hope to be swimming soon too (well that sort of walking action in water).

PM if you want - don't know if anyone else is interested. Thanks in advance.

She was in a wheelchair at first, then crutches and then sticks. She's a tough Eastender and when I watched her bang those needles into her stomach I had to walk away. To be honest, the last part of her recovery was in the swimming pool when it was warm enough. The whole process did take a few months.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:53 pm
Started off with nothing

gosh both wrists, do they let you stay in hospital or send you home? must be awful.
They sent her home. Her hubby had to do everything for her.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:03 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago, I had my left arm broken in north Cornwall. The local hospital didn’t have an x-ray machine and gave me a box of Aspirin. I knew this wasn’t right and tried to drive back to London and civilisation. I had an automatic car and I’m right-handed, but lost control at Okehampton and wound up in a newly planted forest.

I managed to drive back to Bude and hid my car because the circumstances of the broken arm took place in a disco that I owned and the local police didn’t like me. My son from London rescued me and a London hospital confirmed that my arm was broken in several places.

All those years later I had an operation here in Spain to correct my shattered left arm, only a few months ago. It worked, mostly, but still gives me gyp.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

gardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nice

Wife currently in physio after a bad break in August (plate, screws etc). It happened 200 miles from where we live and they gave us the choice of a local operation or being returned home. Next day transferred by ambulance to our local (Torrevieja) hospital and operated on that night. Brilliant service and all free.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:46 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I hope to be putting weight on it soon.

Thanks all +ve posters here, just 1 silly comment of 20 or so useful ones. Much appreciated.
I suppose that would be my comment you are talking about.

I personally dont think that there is enough lightness and humor on this forum, and we sometimes get stick for being too gloom and doom.
And I personally find the little flashes of humor a welcome relief from the normal, opinion, argument, advice, slanging match, insults ect.

Obviously you dont share my opinion.

Anyway I have taken it on board that we are not here to enjoy ourselves.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:07 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I broke my leg a few months ago in Spain, yes I had one anti coagulant injection. I was quite annoyed cos initially I said NO, I DIDNT WANT IT! but the nurse somehow managed to put the needle in my tummy before I could stop her! I was told to return for more, but didnt!! Its kinda like the thrombosis thing, cos you're not moving around much - a load of nonsense!!! Especially as they made a real mess of my plaster - sooooo tight it cut my circulation, drew blood on my ankle and it wasnt even fully set when I left the hospital!! In fact I cut it off with garden sheers after a week and went to a private hospital where they gave me a splint instead!!

Jo xxxx