Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anybody with info on boat laws?

Anybody with info on boat laws?

Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:02 am
Just Joined

bazza58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anybody with info on boat laws?

Can anybody give me some info on the boat laws here in Spain. I have a zapcat which is 4m long, bought and paid for in the UK. Do I need to get it registered. I have the correct license and it is insured but is it a legal requirement to get it Spanish flagged? The reason I am asking is because I believe I would have some tax implications. Any info would be great.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:56 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anybody with info on boat laws?

There is a very small hive of info here....You pick out the bits that apply to you. Save me pasting arm.
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php?Number=2075190

Last edited by poshnbucks; Mar 29th 2009 at 1:09 am.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Anybody with info on boat laws?

Tks poshnbucks that is a great link. The trouble I am having is that no one can tell me how long a boat can be before it needs to be registered. The class of boat I have is only 4m long I don't need a marina or slipway in fact I can launch from any beach. There was no requirement to register this type of craft in the UK. Anyway thanks for your help I'll do a post on the link you sent.

Baz
Old Mar 29th 2009, 4:46 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link.

http://costadelsol.angloinfo.com/inf...23/sailing.asp
Old Mar 29th 2009, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
Thanks Fred
Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

jimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nice

Originally Posted by bazza58
Can anybody give me some info on the boat laws here in Spain. I have a zapcat which is 4m long, bought and paid for in the UK. Do I need to get it registered. I have the correct license and it is insured but is it a legal requirement to get it Spanish flagged? The reason I am asking is because I believe I would have some tax implications. Any info would be great.
Hi bazza,
Fred's given you the best link.

But if you can find a way to keep it UK flagged you can use your RYA qualifications.

Another method I've heard about, is to have a chat with the Capitane at the
local Marnia, he just may accept your RYA quals.

A few years back I contacted the RYA's legal Dept. About using their qualifations once you become resident in Spain, as far as I can remember they suggested contacting a lawer in spain.

If you are near the Mar Menor you could contact www.sailingmarmenor.com
to get their take on your question.

Good Luck.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bazza58
Registering a boat of any sort in Spain is worse than registering a car and is avoided by both british and the Spanish alike for as long as possible.

You need to answer these questions:

Do you keep the boat in Spain full time?

Are you resident here?

If the answer to either of the two questions above is yes, then you will need to comply fully with Spanish laws which means registering, paying a registration tax, paying a local 'special tax' worked out by the lovely people at Hacienda and having regular surveys. It will also need an EU Certificate of Conformity.

Your license may not be adquate as the Spanish have a different licence bands dependant on the engine size. This is the reason you may see a 150hp engine labelled as 50hp!

This is probably enough to put you off and if it is kept on a trailer in a garage for most of its life you might find llife a little simpler.

If you want to PM me if you would like some more info or as suggested look on the YBW forum where there is currently quite a lot of chatter about this subject. Also the RYA have some info if you go their website. Sorry I cant give you the links as my connection is too unreliable.

Good luck