Reload this Page >

Anybody in Galicia?

Anybody in Galicia?

Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

discoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anybody in Galicia?

Well hello!
My first post and one prompted by Siesta. Not that I live in Galicia - a bit further south than that - in fact about as far south as one can get without wetting ones toes in the straits of Gib - but I do have a hankering to try a different part of Spain and Galicia beckons. I'm not sure why, but I'd be interested to know other Galician dwellers' reasons why they live there.

I have to say, Siesta, that your English is perfect - and whilst I have no desire to be patronising - it would be good to converse with a Spanish national in either my excruciatingly poor Andaluz acquired "Spanish" or in my native tongue with a view to improving the aforesaid poor Spanish. Here's a question for you: how different is the language in Galicia from "standard" Spanish?

Before long I may join those few forum members who live "oop north"
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

Originally Posted by discoman
Here's a question for you: how different is the language in Galicia from "standard" Spanish
In my opinion, Spanish spoken in Galician is not that different from the "standard" Spanish. The first thing that can strike you is the intontation but it's much closer to the "standard" (whatever that is) than andaluz. As it happens with any other region, there are expressions, certain vocab, etc that change, but you can find those differences everywhere so it shouldn't be a big problem. The only difference with other regions could be that there is some interference with Galician, but I don't think that's so important to make it difficult for you to understand (if you already speak Spanish). That's if you ask me about Spanish. Then with Galician is a different matter and it depends on where and what you plan to do. In general, I think you shouldn't have any problem with language other than a bit to get used to the sound, exactly the same I'd need if I moved to AndalucĂ­a, something I don't have any intention of doing though.

Maybe you should ask someone who's here, because my view might be different. Do you have any idea of what part of Galicia would you prefer?
Old Aug 15th 2010, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

I have a friend from Orkney who is a British primary school teacher in a hippy school in Vigo. She says she is struggling with her Spanish. The school must be British or perhaps American and I can't find her letter to check. All my favourite barmen in Soho seemed to be from Galicia years ago. I love the accent it reminds me of parts of Scotland where people sound as if they're singing rather than speaking. I hope you find your homeland unspoiled by intruders.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 5:46 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

All my favourite barmen in Soho seemed to be from Galicia years ago.
It used to be said years ago that if you found a Spanish restaurant abroad, chances are the owner would be a Gallego.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
It used to be said years ago that if you found a Spanish restaurant abroad, chances are the owner would be a Gallego.
In Madrid there were lots of Galician restaurants and I always stayed in the Pension Universal also owned by Gallegos within spitting distance from La Puerta Del Sol.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 5:57 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
In Madrid there were lots of Galician restaurants and I always stayed in the Pension Universal also owned by Gallegos within spitting distance from La Puerta Del Sol.
Lots of Galician restaurants, but also Basque, Andalucian (surprisingly good in some cases), Valencian, Castillian, Riojan, Asturian etc. Very few Catalunyan places though!