Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for Radio Stations

Any suggestions for Radio Stations

Old Jul 21st 2013, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any suggestions for Radio Stations

In an attempt to improve my listening skills I thought it would be a good idea to listen to Spanish Radio when I have time. There are loads that stream over tinternet but I would like recommendations as to which to choose. The reason I ask is that because there are so many from geographically different areas I am half assuming that regional accents maybe an issue. Is there a 'standard' Spanish Station similar to our BBC of old?
Cheers all,
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any suggestions for Radio Stations

I used to listen to Cadena Ser (still do sometimes, via internet).

It's all news, sport and chat (chat in studio rather than telephone chat with public) and the spanish is fairly standard, even when they go off to regional broadcasts.

I listened to it from first arriving in Spain and it really helped me tune-in better & improve understanding of spoken spanish.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
I used to listen to Cadena Ser (still do sometimes, via internet).

It's all news, sport and chat (chat in studio rather than telephone chat with public) and the spanish is fairly standard, even when they go off to regional broadcasts.

I listened to it from first arriving in Spain and it really helped me tune-in better & improve understanding of spoken spanish.
Thanks rachelk, I will check it out.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
In an attempt to improve my listening skills I thought it would be a good idea to listen to Spanish Radio when I have time. There are loads that stream over tinternet but I would like recommendations as to which to choose. The reason I ask is that because there are so many from geographically different areas I am half assuming that regional accents maybe an issue. Is there a 'standard' Spanish Station similar to our BBC of old?
Cheers all,
Radio Exterior de España is pretty good, though it might be a bit more "serious" than Cadena Ser.
Unfortunately nobody seems to do good radio like the UK.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, radio is a good idea, although you often have no idea what they will be talking about, (the subject, rather than understanding it!) personally I much prefer podcasts. Over the years I have sorted out a list that I enjoy, and stick them on a memory stick and listen in the car.
Some radio here, http://www.rtve.es/radio/
Some podcasts here I listen to http://www.cadenaser.com/podcast/
They might not be your choice, but google podcasts in Spanish, there are loads out there.
I also listen to a selection from Ser Consumidor, Ldelengua, Ser Aventureros and probably my most listened to is Nómadas (http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/audios/nomadas/) I travel the world whilst in the car!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 8:22 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

MadridMan keeps a list of Spanish Radio (and television) streams on his website. He also states if it's a national or local offering, so if you're worried about the local accent you can keep to national stations. Although I suspect most stations will try and use broadcasters that speak standard Castellano.

http://www.madridman.com/multimedia.html
Old Jul 24th 2013, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Yes, radio is a good idea, although you often have no idea what they will be talking about, (the subject, rather than understanding it!) personally I much prefer podcasts.
Podcasts are great - or recordings (I use windows sound recorder) because when you're first starting it helps to listen several times and it really builds confidence to realise that what you understood very little of first time you can get nearly all of after a few listens.

I would love to find something like BBC's radio drama stuff in spanish - plays or fiction readings. There are a few out there, they seem to be from SAm rather than spain, but there's not a great deal of choice. If anyone knows of any good sources, please pass them on!
Old Jul 25th 2013, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will certainly have a listen.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:54 pm
Banned

HelenLC is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are on the Costa del Sol, then I would advise Global Radio 93.6 east of the Fuengirola and 96.5 to the west. You can also listen online. This is an English radio station and plays all types and eras of music with regular weather and news bulletins.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenLC
If you are on the Costa del Sol, then I would advise Global Radio 93.6 east of the Fuengirola and 96.5 to the west. You can also listen online. This is an English radio station and plays all types and eras of music with regular weather and news bulletins.
Well done Helen! Even I felt able to understand the content. It was almost as if it was in my native language. I look forward to further suggestions along these lines. I will soon be fluent, regional accents or not
Old Jul 27th 2013, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

I have the app for Cadena Dial installed on my PC and Phone, mainly because I prefer the music, I find you can also pick up things from there cheesy adverts, especially numbers which is a good start, then a bit of news sport and weather and after its repeated 10 times a day, you can start singing / talking it yourself.

I think TV too can help, I am quite interested in there national cheesy TV stations when they go out to different towns and something is happening