Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any one savvy on well water ?

Any one savvy on well water ?

Old Jan 11th 2013, 9:32 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of
Default Any one savvy on well water ?

We have rented a property on well water & where told before hand that it is not for drinking. We have no problem with that.

Main question is, where can I get it tested ?
We believe no one has actually bothered checking it as it has only been used for watering olive trees.

Suzi
Old Jan 11th 2013, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any one savvy on well water ?

Have you got the well on your property? Ours is called well water and the deeds set out our right as one of 5 properties to use the well but.... the well as such is long since gone and been converted/diverted into an open reservoir and we all have water piped from this into our properties. At the time this happened the properties were all provided with water deposits and pumps which we are expected to fill from our main supply and use between November and February.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grebo
We have rented a property on well water & where told before hand that it is not for drinking. We have no problem with that.

Main question is, where can I get it tested ?
We believe no one has actually bothered checking it as it has only been used for watering olive trees.

Suzi

Local chemist will get it tested for you.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

We use well water for all our needs except drinking and for drinking we use a local Fuente. Saves us a fortune!
Good luck with yours. We've never had ours tested so I'd be interested to know how you do do it.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:52 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Yes many people around here have wells; I had mine tested last year and relatively easy to do,

Go to the farmacia and purchase a two litre sterilised container; you can ask them where to take it - they will know.

Fill the container and IMMEDIATELY take it to the testing place keeping it as cool as possible. The cost for me was three (ish) euros for the container, and 50€ for the test.

Found an article i wrote at the time

So the first thing you need is a sterilised container of about two litres; I bought mine from the farmacia at a cost of 1,90 euros. To fill it you need to run the water from the tap nearest the well for more than enough time to clear the pipe of all water that has stood overnight and actually comes direct from the well. There is space on the container for you to write your name, NIE, telephone number and the date & time it was filled.

Then you immediately take it to the laboratory who will ask you where you live, what sort of well, whether you drink it / cook in it etc. Please don’t leave it lying around allowing germs etc to multiply. The laboratory will ask you for a deposit for the 50 euros the test costs; I left them with 20 euros and returned a week later as requested for the results.

Davexf

Last edited by Dxf; Jan 11th 2013 at 5:09 pm. Reason: added article extract
Old Jan 12th 2013, 8:09 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Brilliant thanks for the replies.

Yes it is on the property, we actually have two as one ran dry once upon a time the second one is much deeper at 60 metres.

Thanks Dave thats great, down to the farmacia on Monday then. I will be happy if it's fit for the kettle & cooking. Well worth the €50.

Suzi
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant thanks for the replies.

Yes it is on the property, we actually have two as one ran dry once upon a time the second one is much deeper at 60 metres.

Thanks Dave thats great, down to the farmacia on Monday then. I will be happy if it's fit for the kettle & cooking. Well worth the €50.

Suzi
If you live in a place with wells. The chances are there'll be a fuente within 20 or 30 mins drive. We have 10 x 12 litre containers which just fit nicely in the back of our little Fiesta. We go and collect drinking water once every 4 weeks approximately. A bit more often in summer of course. Our Fuente has very limey water so for my cups of tea I have a coffee filter which takes all the lime out of the water when I pour it through. I use one filter paper a day at the cost of 1 cent! I've looked up highly mineralised water and contrary to popular opinion it doesn't give you kidney stones. Quite the opposite if you drink plenty of it!
Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:27 pm
I believe.

Originally Posted by angiescarr
If you live in a place with wells. The chances are there'll be a fuente within 20 or 30 mins drive. We have 10 x 12 litre containers which just fit nicely in the back of our little Fiesta. We go and collect drinking water once every 4 weeks approximately. A bit more often in summer of course. Our Fuente has very limey water so for my cups of tea I have a coffee filter which takes all the lime out of the water when I pour it through. I use one filter paper a day at the cost of 1 cent! I've looked up highly mineralised water and contrary to popular opinion it doesn't give you kidney stones. Quite the opposite if you drink plenty of it!
Interesting, thanks for that.

Suzi
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Interesting, thanks for that.

Suzi
Just a quick addition to my last post. If you do need to use a coffee filter to filter lime out. I forgot to say drill the hole wider otherwise your water will be cold before it gets through. I've found a new agua potable (drinkable) fuente that's closer and the lime levels are much lower so when I use this one my coffee filter gets put to one side. BUT I'm not so sure about this new fuente. I prefer lime to factory farming run off. I'll have to check if there are any chicken farms in the hills around it ;-)