British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   any one know (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/any-one-know-412676/)

no lecee jon Dec 9th 2006 3:23 pm

any one know

any one know, web site, forum, expat for Majorca
thanks

vox populia Dec 10th 2006 6:13 pm

Re: any one know

Originally Posted by no lecee jon
thanks

Y do you want 2 know that? Majorca is the most expensive place to live our visit, go on tell us?

Chiclanagir Dec 11th 2006 11:41 am

Originally Posted by vox populia
Y do you want 2 know that? Majorca is the most expensive place to live our visit, go on tell us?

But I bet they have electricity!

no lecee jon Dec 11th 2006 11:50 am

yes glynis they do

no lecee jon Dec 11th 2006 12:02 pm

Glynis
are you going to the hotel tonight to meet the candidate for the town hall.
cant make it myself
nolecee Jon

Chiclanagir Dec 11th 2006 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by no lecee jon
Glynis
are you going to the hotel tonight to meet the candidate for the town hall.
cant make it myself
nolecee Jon

No, but, Yvonne is, so I am sure she will report back.

YMF Dec 11th 2006 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by glynis
No, but, Yvonne is, so I am sure she will report back.

Well I have just returned from the meeting, there were a lot of people there, at least 150. I arrived just after the start so still did not get to find out exactly who was organising the whole thing but I'm sure others can fill in the gaps.

Most of the talking was about Chiclana and its future, the new market, the tram, the shopping centre etc, I heard nothing about political stance.

The main presentations were conducted in spanish with a chap doing his best to translate, I think he did get a bit of stick but protested he was doing his best and wasn't getting paid for it!
At the end they asked if anyone had any questions and as you can imagine the subject of electricity and illegal houses came up, it got a little heated at this point and I suppose if I was living in the situation that some others are then I would feel the same.
The presenter had no answers but did say it was a difficult situation that Chiclana was trying to deal with. Various points he made were:

A new office will be set up in January to individually assist with problems

Houses with no electricity or those that had been cut off lacked the correct documents and so it would be against Andalucian law for Chiclana to just connect them, the process would have to be completed.

He did say that he believed that the houses with no legal electricity were sold cheaply because of the lack of infrastructure/services in the area, as you can imagine that did not go down very well.

The majority of houses would be legalised

Chiclana lacked the facilities for all the houses that had been built

He had no answer as to why the houses were allowed to be constructed.

I suppose the meeting was a start but I felt it could have been much better organised, it would not have been hard for them to put some background information into English as a handout. I know we live in spain and we should learn to speak spanish but we dont all find it that easy.

It was sometimes difficult to hear what was going on because of people coming and going but I am sure others who were there will add to this.

Yvonne

CDL Ben Dec 11th 2006 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by YMF
Well I have just returned from the meeting, there were a lot of people there, at least 150. I arrived just after the start so am still did not get to find out exactly who was organising the whole thing but I'm sure others can fill in the gaps.

Most of the talking was about Chiclana and its future, the new market, the tram, the shopping centre etc, I heard nothing about political stance.
The main presentations were conducted in spanish with a chap doing his best to translate, I think he did get a bit of stick but protested he was doing his best and wasn't getting paid for it!
At the end they asked if anyone had any questions and as you can imagine the subject of electricity and illegal houses came up, it got a little heated at this point and I suppose if I was living in the situation that some others are then I would feel the same.
The presenter had no answers but did say it was a difficult situation that Chiclana was trying to deal with. Various points he made were:

A new office will be set up in the January to individually assist with problems

Houses with no electricity or those that had been cut off lacked the correct documents and so it would be against Andalucian law for Chiclana to just connect them, the process would have to be completed.

He did say that he believed that the houses with no legal electricity were sold cheaply because of the lack of infrastructure/services in the area, as you can imagine that did not go down very well.

The majority of houses would be legalised

Chiclana lacked the facilities for all the houses that had been built

He had no answer as to why the houses were allowed to be constructed.

I suppose the meeting was a start but I felt it could have been much better organised, it would not have been hard for them to put some background information into English as a handout. I know we live in spain and we should learn to speak spanish but we dont all find it that easy.

It was sometimes difficult to hear what was going on because of people coming and going but I am sure others who were there will add to this.

Yvonne

I foolishly decided to go along to see what it was all about and also missed the beginning, but halfway through the meeting someone referred to the main speaker as the Mayor !!

Lots of propoganda about how much was being invested in Chiclanas future and rightly YMF, once the floor opened there was pandemonium. The questions about electricity and legality of properties never got answered apart from someone saying that it was too complicated to go into on such a large scale and these questions should be held for more intimate forums/meetings.

I must admit to leaving at 'half time' as I was bored and disollusioned with the whole thing. Don't tell me that in a meeting hosted by high standing Town Hall members, they wouldn't have expected some heated quetions on the electricity and lagal situation of property. They were totally ill prepared in my opinion, but to be expected from this Town Hall.

I honestly (from what I heard) can't report any information of any use aside from what YMF has posted above (although we already knew a lot of that through newspaper reports.)

mitzipurr Dec 12th 2006 1:56 pm

I did not attend the meeting as I was convinced that the whole thing was a confidence trick by the present people in power at Chiclana begging for expat's votes.

After reading the posts on this forum and others it seems that the whole thing was set up as a mask and to just let people know about what they intend to spend money on instead of tackling the more important problems of illegal houses and electricity etc.

I understand he came out with the unbelievable statement that Chiclana does not have the infrastructure to cope with all the construction which has been done. The answer is in his hands and nobody elses...

I am afraid it is hard to believe this Mayor or anybody at the Town Hall will do anything to put a stop to illegal construction which is still ongoing everywhere and so the problems continue.

To give an example my old house which did not possess a legal building permit was being billed for IBI (rates) on a yearly basis??? Let him come up with an explanation for that one....

For instance at the bottom of the road where I live, I have my suspicions that they have been connecting electricity illegally underground to a new property. This resulted in damage to the main Telephone cable leaving over 50 people without telephone service for over 19 hours....

:confused:

Chiclanagir Dec 12th 2006 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by mitzipurr
I did not attend the meeting as I was convinced that the whole thing was a confidence trick by the present people in power at Chiclana begging for expat's votes.

After reading the posts on this forum and others it seems that the whole thing was set up as a mask and to just let people know about what they intend to spend money on instead of tackling the more important problems of illegal houses and electricity etc.

I understand he came out with the unbelievable statement that Chiclana does not have the infrastructure to cope with all the construction which has been done. The answer is in his hands and nobody elses...

I am afraid it is hard to believe this Mayor or anybody at the Town Hall will do anything to put a stop to illegal construction which is still ongoing everywhere and so the problems continue.

To give an example my old house which did not possess a legal building permit was being billed for IBI (rates) on a yearly basis??? Let him come up with an explanation for that one....

For instance at the bottom of the road where I live, I have my suspicions that they have been connecting electricity illegally underground to a new property. This resulted in damage to the main Telephone cable leaving over 50 people without telephone service for over 19 hours....

:confused:

So if you suspected this, did you denounce them?

mitzipurr Dec 12th 2006 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by glynis
So if you suspected this, did you denounce them?

In a word NO but I think telefonica have because all work has now ceased and the site is deserted. :scared:

jdr Dec 12th 2006 4:10 pm

Hey guys I think you have slightly hijacked the thread..........which was

thanks

jdr Dec 12th 2006 4:15 pm

Try HERE

no lecee jon Dec 13th 2006 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Try HERE