Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any old wives tales

Wikiposts

Any old wives tales

Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:29 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any old wives tales

We avoid the sun as much as possible and keep the shutters almost right down during the day. I drink at least two litres of water a day, only a few sips at a time, and alcohol is fatal in this heat. We use the pool early morning and late evening, with a cold shower afterwards, drying ourselves by dabbing rather than rubbing with towels.

This summer has been a hot one and it's not over yet.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:49 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
We avoid the sun as much as possible and keep the shutters almost right down during the day. I drink at least two litres of water a day, only a few sips at a time, and alcohol is fatal in this heat. We use the pool early morning and late evening, with a cold shower afterwards, drying ourselves by dabbing rather than rubbing with towels.

This summer has been a hot one and it's not over yet.
we seem to have had a particularly bad night here - I take a 1.5 litre bottle of water up into the bedroom every night - last night I seem to have drunk almost all of it

we are having up to 100% humidity most nights, and a few nights ago the temp didn't drop below 26º - giving a realfeel of nearly 35º!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 7:56 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

It's in The Mail so it must be true

The upper crust had the right idea for dealing with the heat all along, scientists said today.
Researchers have found the best foods to have during hot weather - and a cup of tea with a cucumber sandwich tops the list.
Actually, there's some sensible looking advice there.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

But I thought you all moved there for the weather, for all that lovely sun! All sounds like my idea of hell. Never mind, couple of weeks, the cold stories will start up, electric blankets, huddling around bombonas etc.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:27 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
we seem to have had a particularly bad night here - I take a 1.5 litre bottle of water up into the bedroom every night - last night I seem to have drunk almost all of it

we are having up to 100% humidity most nights, and a few nights ago the temp didn't drop below 26º - giving a realfeel of nearly 35º!!!
have you tried putting a humidifier on in the room ??

problem is people are different in these extremes, their built-in "thermostats" are running riot.
I always feel cooler than the BH, but that could be because the pores of the skin are more open allowing it to breathe, many women tend not to have such open pores and do not sweat the same way as men.

if you keep guzzling cold drinks the body will rush round trying to get it up to temp whilst having gallons of tea mean the body will be trying to cool it.
well thats my understanding of it anyway.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/dic...uestion651.htm
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:31 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
But I thought you all moved there for the weather, for all that lovely sun! All sounds like my idea of hell. Never mind, couple of weeks, the cold stories will start up, electric blankets, huddling around bombonas etc.
It's bloody boiling here in Italy as well. Although I love the summer, a week or more of this heat does get very debilitating. Unless you can regularly throw yourself into the sea, pool, lake or river there is very little else you can do. I am sweating just sitting and typing at the compter and not moving.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:47 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm back in the UK at the minute so don't have that problem, but still enjoying lots of top quality fresh fruit and veg.
Yesterday I bought a couple of large juicy honeydew water melons at 80p each which seemed quite a snip to me.
They had been around a quid each for a few weeks before that.
Just curious if they can be picked up in Spain for that sort of price, because over the last couple of years I've often been finding locally produced Spanish fruit cheaper in the UK than where it's actually produced.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:51 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I love it - I can't get enough of it. I'm dreading it getting cooler.

I tend not to do much in the heat of the day but that's fine.

We don't have aircon in the house - and wouldn't use it if we did (aircon in the car is, of course, a must).

We use fans to keep cool when necessary.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:07 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I love it - I can't get enough of it. I'm dreading it getting cooler.

I tend not to do much in the heat of the day but that's fine.

We don't have aircon in the house - and wouldn't use it if we did (aircon in the car is, of course, a must).

We use fans to keep cool when necessary.
Strange how people's body thermostats appear to vary so much.

I come across a few like yourself who seem fairly comfortable in the excessive heat but I find that the majority like myself simply cant handle it and that applies to lots of Spanish people as well.

Anyone any theories why the difference ?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:38 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
have you tried putting a humidifier on in the room ??

problem is people are different in these extremes, their built-in "thermostats" are running riot.
I always feel cooler than the BH, but that could be because the pores of the skin are more open allowing it to breathe, many women tend not to have such open pores and do not sweat the same way as men.

if you keep guzzling cold drinks the body will rush round trying to get it up to temp whilst having gallons of tea mean the body will be trying to cool it.
well thats my understanding of it anyway.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/dic...uestion651.htm
I could shut the windows & put the aircon on - but I hate aircon

I love the heat - at one point yesterday the temp went way up, but the humidity was way down - it was far more comfortable
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:42 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I'm back in the UK at the minute so don't have that problem, but still enjoying lots of top quality fresh fruit and veg.
Yesterday I bought a couple of large juicy honeydew water melons at 80p each which seemed quite a snip to me.
Just curious if they can be picked up in Spain for that sort of price, because over the last couple of years I've often been finding locally produced Spanish fruit cheaper in the UK than where it's actually produced.
my local fruteria had a special offer on last week, 2 melons for €1.00, they each weighed at least 2kg, its really so hard having to eat them before they go off, even when kept in the fridge

how are you doing for red peppers?, we are getting some really lovely sweet ones here for about €1.00/kg
large onions 80c/kg
black grapes €1.20/kg

but these are almost year round prices, not the offloading of excess product into Tesco's and Sainsburys, but every cent helps Spain's balance of payments.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I could shut the windows & put the aircon on - but I hate aircon

I love the heat - at one point yesterday the temp went way up, but the humidity was way down - it was far more comfortable
its a difficult one to call in your situation
the BH says the Spanish she works with are complaining about sore throats due to the dryness of the air in their air conditioned homes.

oh for the luxuries, our landlord just let us a bare house, no heat no aircon
so we have to get by with all the old wives remedies of open windows and fans - but even the punkah wallah is getting a bit tired in the heat.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Honeydews are €1 in our market, so about the same. Beefsteak tomatoes €0.50 per kilo, bet you can't beat that in the UK!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:49 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go...Dick you are a little stirrer

Not much Spanish produce in the shops around here and it shows in lower prices. They seem to have found better value and quality suppliers
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

There was me thinking BE.com was for expats living in Spain! Doh!!! I wish people would put their locations in, to give us a clue where "round here" is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.