Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any info on property????

Any info on property????

Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Mark Paddon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any info on property????

The best deals I have seen recently are in the Javea Moraira area Costa Blanca, which has been firstly affected by Germans selling due to tax investigations (until 18 months ago) followed by the general downturn in the market. Coastal areas are generally more attractive for renting and a better long term investment strategy. There is loads of land in Spain, but always a limited coastline. If you are looking for a choice of decent villas close to beaches and a mixture of northern European and Spanish culture this area is worth a look.

I successfully made the big family move nearly 7 years ago, the only thing that concerns me is what you plan to do for money. We have seen many families come and go mainly due to failed badly researched business ideas. Getting a smaller place here and retaining rental property in the UK is a good idea (i.e. you are landlord and receive a rent). It's tempting to be flash and go for the biggest villa here, but you won't be sipping champagne by the pool if there is no money coming in.

I too say 'Go for it!', but do your homework well and always tend towards the mid to lower risk option. Once you are here you will find the Brit trend of big kitchen, big car has little relevance, most people here have too much of a life to be showing of new kitchens and the car will probably get some knocks.

Originally Posted by stumpysean
We are a family from the Uk who are thinking of maybe buying property over in Spain.

Initially we were going to buy a cheap holiday home and come over during school holidays etc, we are now thinking about selling our Uk home to fund a bigger place in spain so we can spend more time there. we will then rent a place in the Uk for the time being while our kids are still at school.

If we decide Spain is for us, we may then decide to move lock stock and barrel over for good.

Obviously this is a huge decision, and there are many people who are dead set against us doing it! but then again others who are saying 'go for it'!!!!.....we would love a place to 'escape' to for long weekends, school holidays etc... and maybe rent out while we're not using it?

any ideas, suggestions would be welcome on areas, prices etc.....

I have done a fair bit of research and am aware that andalucia seems to be a bit cheaper than say valencia. i seem to spend hours on the pc looking at property!!!!

thanks in advance for your help

Becky
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arko
Most people are really just trying to help. Many people on here have many years experience living in Spain, know the different factors involved when making such a big move, buying property, etc. There are those who have made mistakes, those who are doing well over here. If some people are negative it's usually because they have seen a side to Spain many people refuse to believe exists when they are looking to get away from the U.K.: REALITY.

Look at many different areas. Come when the weather is crap (it's been so from October until about four days ago- and it's still chilly at night, and I'm in one of the warmest parts at the moment). That way, you can see what kind of things your kids can do when it's pouring with rain and they can't go to the beach or go for a swim. I guess that's why you are coming to Spain- for your children. You only have to go to one of the many expat (and Spanish) residential areas in any part of the country to see the young ones sprawled out on the floor completely wasted. Sad but true.
We bought on the Algarve seven years ago when our boys were 12 & 7.
The winters are not all pleasant sunny days. There can be whole weeks of rain especially around the Nov & Feb half-terms, even the Easter hols and it is cold especially at night from Nov to March. After a couple of years the boys began fed up with journeying off as soon as school broke up and not returning until term resumed. They missed their friends and were bored. Owning your own home is not like renting a holiday villa - there is maintenance, gardening etc and it all takes up time. Yes, the summers are lovely, especially if the kids bring friends out but consider the extra costs associated with that - car hire, eating out etc. Now our youngest son is 15 - he will only come out when the weather is good. Do I regret buying, no but with hindsight I would have rented first to get a feel for it and I know the boys really did get quite fed up. If you do go for it be prepared for the children to still want their computers, broadband etc, wet winter days can be very long. (Oh yes and large phone bills speaking to their friends. )
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:20 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

We are a family from the Uk who are thinking of maybe buying property over in Spain.

Initially we were going to buy a cheap holiday home and come over during school holidays etc, we are now thinking about selling our Uk home to fund a bigger place in spain so we can spend more time there. we will then rent a place in the Uk for the time being while our kids are still at school.

If we decide Spain is for us, we may then decide to move lock stock and barrel over for good.

Obviously this is a huge decision, and there are many people who are dead set against us doing it! but then again others who are saying 'go for it'!!!!.....we would love a place to 'escape' to for long weekends, school holidays etc... and maybe rent out while we're not using it

any ideas, suggestions would be welcome on areas, prices etc.....

I have done a fair bit of research and am aware that andalucia seems to be a bit cheaper than say valencia. i seem to spend hours on the pc looking at property!!!!

thanks in advance for your help

Becky
We initially planned to sell our UK home and buy somewhere cheaper in spain. But we couldnt sell our UK home and decided to rent it out and rent in spain and THANK GOD! The things we thought we wanted from an area, a house etc in Spain we now know were/are totally stupid and the things we didnt even think about we should have (central heating for one!!!). I´ve lived here a year now and realised how different the reality is.

Why dont you try renting a place here for 6 weeks during the kids holidays and see how that goes? there are loads of cheap rentals out here at the mo

jo x
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your replies!............we are very mixed in our minds at the moment. The housing market in the Uk as you are aware is not good. We are looking to move from our current home anyway, so selling WILL happen, but it's whether we go into rented for a short while, downsize and release some capital to therefore put down on a spanish place we're not quite sure.....

Ideally, like you say, renting in spain in the short term to get a feel for the place would be ideal, but unfortunately we can't afford a UK mortgage and rent on a place in spain at the same time! i wish we could!

Our other option, which we have thought about was buying a mobile home, but they are very expensive, also have high site fees and almost seem a waste of money as a lot of sites wont let you 'sublet' them and also they dont last for ever, I suppose 10/15 yrs max before they need replacing...... so we sort of knocked that thought on the head......but I go round in circles really!!!!!!

keep your ideas coming........please
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your replies!............we are very mixed in our minds at the moment. The housing market in the Uk as you are aware is not good. We are looking to move from our current home anyway, so selling WILL happen, but it's whether we go into rented for a short while, downsize and release some capital to therefore put down on a spanish place we're not quite sure.....

Ideally, like you say, renting in spain in the short term to get a feel for the place would be ideal, but unfortunately we can't afford a UK mortgage and rent on a place in spain at the same time! i wish we could!

Our other option, which we have thought about was buying a mobile home, but they are very expensive, also have high site fees and almost seem a waste of money as a lot of sites wont let you 'sublet' them and also they dont last for ever, I suppose 10/15 yrs max before they need replacing...... so we sort of knocked that thought on the head......but I go round in circles really!!!!!!

What about a cave house
Have a look in my photo gallery, I think there are some pics in there of some in Granada
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:59 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Can`t you rent the house in the UK to pay the mortgage, then rent here ?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Yes, we could rent our UK home out, not a problem. But we're not looking to move out lock, stock and barrel quite yet. We own a business in the Uk and obviously cant up ship and leave that running itself!....although I'd love to!!!!

To begin with, it is just as a holiday home.....

If we decide we like it that much and hubby thinks he could either start up a business similar to what we do in the Uk then we may decide to move over, but we have 2 kids at school etc so it isnt quite that easy!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we could rent our UK home out, not a problem. But we're not looking to move out lock, stock and barrel quite yet. We own a business in the Uk and obviously cant up ship and leave that running itself!....although I'd love to!!!!

To begin with, it is just as a holiday home.....

If we decide we like it that much and hubby thinks he could either start up a business similar to what we do in the Uk then we may decide to move over, but we have 2 kids at school etc so it isnt quite that easy!
Ah right , I thought you wanted to move out now. ;-)
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Locations is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there. Well cash is king at the moment and in Spain and wherever you look you will find great bargains.

What you really need to do is consider your priorities, in terms of employment, international vs Spanish schools for your children.

The opportunities are there in all regions you just have to find the place that appeals most to your family and your circumstances.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Mike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant future

It's nice to see someone actually thinking of moving to Spain for a change.

For months now, it has been the other way around and very sad too.

It is certainly going to be tough for people to get settled into Spain now so the renting-first idea is very sensible.

There is also an argument for getting committed and getting stuck in as keeping an exit door open can reduce your will and commitment.

I usually go into things fully committed and so would choose the latter, but for the not so brave poco y poco could be the way to go.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:49 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

We bought a house in Cadiar, Alpujara mountains, 3 years ago as a holiday home and have just bought our retirement home to be ready in 10 years.

We have since met loads of very friendly, happy people there, expats and locals.

The schools are way better than UK, naturally Spanish.
There is a nearby tech college or Uni in Granada.

Zero crime, very clean, 30 minutes to the mountains and 30 minutes to the coast, cool in the summer.

We bought through Sunshine Properies, owner Jan, very nice lady and very helpful. They have houses for sale and rent.

http://www.sunshine-property.com/