Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any help greatly appreciated!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Old Feb 15th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any help greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Not according to their web site
http://66.102.9.132/search?q=cache:0...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Commission-free card use abroad
We are the only high-street provider that doesn't charge you commission if you use your card abroad*. Some competitors charge up to 2.75% for buying goods or services and withdrawing cash abroad.

* We will pass on a Visa charge for foreign transactions outside of the Visa Europe Region.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 10:54 am
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by montgomail
There is a fee now for drawing cash outside of Europe, introduced around May last year.
I did say that, but if you have a CASH CARD, the withdrawals worldwide are still FREE, and, providing the withdrawal is at a 'VISA' ATM, there is no charge for the withdrawal either.

We use it all the time sending money to Asia

Old Feb 15th 2010, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johncar61
I did say that, but if you have a CASH CARD, the withdrawals worldwide are still FREE, and, providing the withdrawal is at a 'VISA' ATM, there is no charge for the withdrawal either.

We use it all the time sending money to Asia
Yes I presumed you meant the flex account card which I use all the time for free cash withdrawals in Europe. Not sure what the eligibility criteria is for a CASH CARD - but would look into it if I was travelling outside of Europe for any length of time.

Just looked and unfortunately this would not be available for current account holders, which is a shame.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_...rd_account.htm

Last edited by montgomail; Feb 15th 2010 at 12:58 pm. Reason: checked out CASH CARD ..
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:15 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Yes I presumed you meant the flex account card which I use all the time for free cash withdrawals in Europe. Not sure what the eligibility criteria is for a CASH CARD - but would look into it if I was travelling outside of Europe for any length of time.

Just looked and unfortunately this would not be available for current account holders, which is a shame.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_...rd_account.htm

Well if one has an account with Nationwide they could ask for a Cash Card.

If that was declined you could write to the CEO, as I did when they refused to give me a credit card as I lived in Spain, I got the card.

OR close the account, if you have one, and immediately open a Cash Card one.

Or if it only for use in Spain, then maybe just accept a Debit Card.

I have three accounts with NW, plus an E savings account, a credit card account, and an off shore account..

There are many ways the skin a cat, just choose your way !!

Last edited by johncar61; Feb 15th 2010 at 1:18 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:43 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

http://66.102.9.132/search?q=cache:0...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Commission-free card use abroad
We are the only high-street provider that doesn't charge you commission if you use your card abroad*. Some competitors charge up to 2.75% for buying goods or services and withdrawing cash abroad.

* We will pass on a Visa charge for foreign transactions outside of the Visa Europe Region.
I was talking about cash cards for ATM yes, I'd never think of using someone who charged for visa transactions abroad, in fact never come across it with any of the cards Ive ever used
Old Feb 15th 2010, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I was talking about cash cards for ATM yes, I'd never think of using someone who charged for visa transactions abroad, in fact never come across it with any of the cards Ive ever used
Bit of confusion over cash cards and debit cards, but never mind.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 6:07 am
Banned

Bit of confusion over cash cards and debit cards, but never mind.
Apologies for going off thread but maybe others are confused too:-

Cash cards

A cash card allows you to ONLY draw money from cash machines (ATMs). Many banks set a daily limit as to how much you can take out, even if your account contains funds.

Debit cards

A debit card allows you to pay for goods at the point of purchase, providing there's money in your current account.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael74
... The housing situation is approx just over half the price of what you would pay in the UK. ....
Are you sure? Australia's housing is very expensive now in almost all big cities. Some of the most expensive vs wages in the world as we have not had a recession or a house price crash like the UK.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Are you sure? Australia's housing is very expensive now in almost all big cities. Some of the most expensive vs wages in the world as we have not had a recession or a house price crash like the UK.
There's been a programme here in UK about Brits moving to Oz, and I think house prices there came as a big shock for many thinking about moving. As you say, not cheap.