Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any help appreciated from new member

Any help appreciated from new member

Old Dec 23rd 2012, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

jimmmyp60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Any help appreciated from new member

Hi, I am driving from lancashire in the Uk to Almeria with my friend sometime in January 2013 and have many questions to ask of you. I have done my homework, (hopefully) lol, but would like to ask of your experience and knowledge, therefore i will be posting a few threads on different subjects so if you see my name pop up more than once i would appreciate any information you could provide.. My first question is can i use my laptop to watch television programmes from the Uk, bbc, itv, etc and is it possible to watch videos on you tube, if so could you please tell me the most cost effective way to do this?
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 8:59 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any help appreciated from new member

look at expat shield on google and filmon.com for free UK TV
Old Dec 24th 2012, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you given any thought to the internet connection you will need and the speed you are willing to pay for to enable you to watch TV online?
Old Dec 24th 2012, 8:50 am
Just Joined

jimmmyp60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Any help appreciated from new member

Originally Posted by Biffta
Have you given any thought to the internet connection you will need and the speed you are willing to pay for to enable you to watch TV online?
Hi Biffta, thank you for your reply, i would like the connection to be fast enough to enable streaming of video without it keep freezing if thats possible, have you any idea what my options could be?
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimmmyp60
Hi Biffta, thank you for your reply, i would like the connection to be fast enough to enable streaming of video without it keep freezing if thats possible, have you any idea what my options could be?
It depends where exactly you are going to be based and what service you're going for, for example, delivery by landline or wireless. Many rural areas can't deliver high speeds for good TV online via the telephone line as they're too far from the exchange.
I can't speak from any experience of the Almeria area but I suggest you 'Google search' for possible providers. Their websites will give you plenty of options. I'm confident others on this forum who are far more knowledgeable than me will help, perhaps more so after the festive period!
Old Dec 24th 2012, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think, but do not know, that something in excess of 4mb download and preferably more than 5mb is required for seamless streaming at any sort of quality.
That sort of speed is a rare and expensive thing in most of Spain.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 12:31 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

if internet speed is imperative then you would have to be in the centre of a metropolis to get anywhere decent speeds.

Spain is still full of copper slung from house to house, very little fibre, people actually have to wait to get a telephone line because the exchanges need upgrading and have limited capacity for lines, letalong data.

People lose their telephone/adsl because of the high expansion and contraction of connections between joints slung up in the air.
I live in a village with all connections but due to our street being incomplete there is no connection to our house and Telefonica are only fitting new using underground, no aerial bundling. So I have to use a radio system to an antenna in the next village to get down to earth. This is the same for many many people living in cortijo's out in the olive groves.

you may find the following thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719672
of interest as it shows how far behind Spain still is.

rgds
Old Dec 24th 2012, 12:45 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You might consider downloading films & TV series to the hard drive on your laptop to watch whilst you are away.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmmyp60
Hi, I am driving from lancashire in the Uk to Almeria with my friend sometime in January 2013 and have many questions to ask of you. I have done my homework, (hopefully) lol, but would like to ask of your experience and knowledge, therefore i will be posting a few threads on different subjects so if you see my name pop up more than once i would appreciate any information you could provide.. My first question is can i use my laptop to watch television programmes from the Uk, bbc, itv, etc and is it possible to watch videos on you tube, if so could you please tell me the most cost effective way to do this?
As you have propbably gathered by now, download speeds can vary tremendously depending on your connection. Having said that I live in a small village in relatively new premises (8yrs old) and regularly get more than 5mbs download speed paying for 6. Many towns now have hot spots for free Wifi and also many bars and restaurants have also got free WiFi. Probably not suitable for you to sit and watch a TV prgramme. Dongles or Internet USB's as they call them here vary rarely provide enough download speed for your requirements.
As far as UK tv is concerned your laptop will be detected as not in the UK hence the need to use a proxy ISP such as Expat Shield as mentioned earlier
Old Dec 24th 2012, 1:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael74
As far as UK tv is concerned your laptop will be detected as not in the UK hence the need to use a proxy ISP such as Expat Shield as mentioned earlier
But not if you use Filmon. They don't impose any geo-restrictions.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
But not if you use Filmon. They don't impose any geo-restrictions.
Didn't know that Fred, useful bit of info
Old Dec 24th 2012, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

what can you get on filmon, is it just uk tv (which I can get on my lappy) or is it films as well... I'm missing my flicks.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

Well I just googled it, and it looks great, didn't even know it existed.. I'm going to join up now... thanks for the info on that one xxx
Old Dec 24th 2012, 7:17 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The quality of the picture isn't great unless you pay a sub for the "HD" version.

What it did find is that they have an free "app" which I have tried on my iPad and the quality is very much better. I can wirelessly play it on a large TV and it is better than normal SD TV quality.
Old Dec 25th 2012, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dorishaslop
what can you get on filmon, is it just uk tv (which I can get on my lappy) or is it films as well... I'm missing my flicks.
You only get what's being broadcast on the TV channels. But there are sites where you can download films on a pay-per-view basis, such as IWatchFilm.com.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.