Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any experience of moving bank account?

Any experience of moving bank account?

Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any experience of moving bank account?

We have an account with Barclays.es. The charges are extortionate and we'd like to move accounts elsewhere - the past year we have paid nearly €200 in charges for about 5 transactions per month on average. But I fear that we will lose all the direct debits and have to do the rounds of the electric, water, phone, town hall and others we have set up to take payments automatically.

Has anyone moved their bank account and been able to have it automatically move the direct debits? Or are we being terribly naive?

Plus, any recommendations as to a bank account that doesn't charge astronomical amounts for every thing you do?
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:22 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any experience of moving bank account?

Barclays is about the worst in Spain. Extortionate, yes.

Just go into any LaCaixa branch, tell them you want to open a current account (most speak English) either resident or non-resident (resident is much cheaper). Bring your passport and NIE. Fees are reasonable, but more importantly, there is at least one LaCaixa branch office in virtually every town, and usually 2 or more in any town of any size. Convenient.

In 15 minutes you'll have the account open with comprehensive online banking in 7 languages (including English). In 5 days you'll get a Visa debit card, which can be used for anything. Just transfer all your funds from Barclays and close the account.

Simples.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:14 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Your best bet is to approach the banks, and ask them if they will do an account transfer, to include DDs, SOs etc. I suspect some will, some may not, perhaps one of the bigger banks, such as BBVA are more likely to.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses. I'll go into the local banks in our village next time I'm over and see what they can offer re: painless transfers and cheap charges. If I recall correctly we have a Banco Polular, Caixa Popular and a Bancaja.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 2:55 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenwoodlad
Thanks for the responses. I'll go into the local banks in our village next time I'm over and see what they can offer re: painless transfers and cheap charges. If I recall correctly we have a Banco Polular, Caixa Popular and a Bancaja.
Only ever had dealings with Bancaja, always found them to be very helpful.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

I've banked with Barclays Spain for about 3 years, and have never paid 1cent in charges, in fact they pay me money every month. Last year they paid me about €70. The downside is that I have to credit €900 a month to the account, but this is below my normal monthly living expenses anyway, so isn't an issue for me. I never go into the branch, do everything online and use Servired ATM's. other banks have similar accounts, although at the time I opened mine they were only offered by Barclays and Sabadell.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

We got got ripped off by the crafty Bs at BBVA to the tune of 430E.
We have just moved our Solbank account to another branch, they said all DDs would be transferred, Bo-loc#$. after 2 days we found one that bounced. I've now been to everyone but Endesa which I'll do in the next day or so. The worst was the water Co, The fact that I had the previous bill, the doc where the DD was set up, my passport and Spanish driving license was not enough. I had to produce the NIE certificate. When I did produce it the woman looked at it and said Ok and gave it back, Asked why, she said it was the law. I asked her when the sewage pipe installation would be started in our road. She took my number and insisted that she would call me. I'm still waiting so I'm going to TALK to her also in the next day or two.
One other little gem, As I am not currently working I have to leave a sum in a deposit account to cover the max on the credit card.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 11:29 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CapnBilly
I've banked with Barclays Spain for about 3 years, and have never paid 1cent in charges, in fact they pay me money every month. .
Same here
Old Jul 11th 2013, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CapnBilly
The downside is that I have to credit €900 a month to the account
That's simply not an option for me. We can only afford to transfer the amounts needed to pay bills and can't afford that kind of outlay. So we're only paying in 100 to 200 euros a month depending on which bills are falling due. The balance in the account is never over €200.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 7:33 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boissano
We got got ripped off by the crafty Bs at BBVA to the tune of 430E..
BBVA has to be the worst bank for service?