Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any advice on selling UK registered vehicle in Spain?

Any advice on selling UK registered vehicle in Spain?

Old Mar 15th 2014, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Patrick_Fisher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any advice on selling UK registered vehicle in Spain?

I've recently moved to Asturias and, at some point, will be looking to sell the UK registered van that I used to make the move. I'm wondering if it's possible to sell a UK van in Spain rather having to make a trip back to the UK to sell it there. Any advice or relevant experiences welcomed eg. good places to advertise such a vehicle in Spain.

Many thanks

Patrick
Old Mar 15th 2014, 1:38 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice on selling UK registered vehicle in Spain?

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 15th 2014, 2:09 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick_Fisher
I've recently moved to Asturias and, at some point, will be looking to sell the UK registered van that I used to make the move. I'm wondering if it's possible to sell a UK van in Spain rather having to make a trip back to the UK to sell it there. Any advice or relevant experiences welcomed eg. good places to advertise such a vehicle in Spain.

Many thanks

Patrick
Hola
There is nothing to stop you selling the vehicle but hindsight is always a wonderful thing. Just make sure all the bookwork is done correctly, and that you can not be liable for any fines whilst in Spain.

Davexf
Old Mar 15th 2014, 3:06 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

and considering how much it costs to register it in Spain, it will need to be offered pretty cheap, especially if it's RHD.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 3:20 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks

Patrick
If it's still on UK plates, and has a current UK MOT and Tax disc, then you are really hoping to find someone going back to the UK, a dealer in Spain will give you a pittance. It's almost certain that it will be impossible to matriculate as it would be classed as a commercial vehicle.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
and considering how much it costs to register it in Spain, it will need to be offered pretty cheap, especially if it's RHD.
I disagree, they actually hold a premium
Old Mar 15th 2014, 3:51 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Around here, people will GIVE AWAY RHD's.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Really? Around here, people will GIVE AWAY RHD's.
Big vans, if they do they are mugs
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:05 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Big vans, if they do they are mugs
But you can't matriculate commercial vehicles.. so it's either take them back to the UK, or drive them illegally in Spain.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:27 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The car dealers to the south of Alicante, whether Spanish, British or Rumanian all deal in British registered vehicles, commercial too, and to make them legal is relatively cheap and a simple procedure.

The expat newspapers like the Costa Blanca News are full of examples. Some sharper car dealers offer you less money and advertise them as 'going home' vehicles, but that's a bit of a con from the dealers.

Part exchange for a Spanish car is the easiest way if you want the steering wheel on the correct side.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 3:52 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
The car dealers to the south of Alicante, whether Spanish, British or Rumanian all deal in British registered vehicles, commercial too, and to make them legal is relatively cheap and a simple procedure.

The expat newspapers like the Costa Blanca News are full of examples. Some sharper car dealers offer you less money and advertise them as 'going home' vehicles, but that's a bit of a con from the dealers.

Part exchange for a Spanish car is the easiest way if you want the steering wheel on the correct side.
Really? I thought vans, motorhomes etc. could NOT be matriculated due to the lack of vision and the way the door opens into the path of vehicles.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Patrick_Fisher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HBG

A while back a Rumanian guy did stop me and say he'd be interested in buying the van, saying he could take it to Roumania and convert it to LHD easily. At the time I thought it sounded dodgy, but maybe it's not.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:59 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Just make sure the bookwork is correct so there can be no comeback on you if the vehicle is used for anything illegal

Just a word from an experienced person

Davexf
Old Mar 17th 2014, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

I brought a UK registered car over to Spain a few years ago but instead of importing it I sold it to another Brit.

All these years later and he still drives around in it as his daily motor, still on UK plates.

I've written to DVLA a couple of times advising them of the change of ownership but never had a reply.

How can I be sure that there will be no comeback on me if that vehicle is involved in anything illegal?
Old Mar 17th 2014, 10:55 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

A while back a Rumanian guy did stop me and say he'd be interested in buying the van, saying he could take it to Roumania and convert it to LHD easily. At the time I thought it sounded dodgy, but maybe it's not.
These car dealers are big around my way and they are Rumanian.

http://autoscorleone.com/our_cars.asp

I wouldn't go near them, not with a name like that, but a lot of expats do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.