Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

anti british graffiti

anti british graffiti

Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:21 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute
Default anti british graffiti

Greetings to all you in Spain.
I've been directed to this forum from the French one.
I was in the south of the Aude in France when I saw this graffiti which says, "Rosbifs Go Home" (image below).

I was asking if anyone had seen anything similar around other areas of France and my question (so far) has come up with a blank.

Someone helpfully suggested, and I quote:
"You ought to ask in Spain then ...... its the Graffiti capital of Europe
Some is very artistic, some is just a mess."

So you inhabitants of Graffiti Central, have you seen similar things? Does anyone have any images as examples they can post?

My interest in this is because I'm editing a book about graffiti at the moment. The research I have done has been on tree carving! We did a study of tree carving dating back to the 1860s on the beech trees around Wayland Smithy in Oxfordshire. You can tell an interesting social history from graffiti that you don't get from other sources. I lived 10 years in France, 2 years in Greece and 2 years in Italy, my father lives in Spain along with most of his side of the familiy, my mother was Welsh and looked understanding when cottages got burned in the 1970s and I'm interested in how people are reacting to all the British that are moving abroad.

Thanks
Treskillard
Attached Images  
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:24 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anti british graffiti

Originally Posted by treskillard
Greetings to all you in Spain.
I've been directed to this forum from the French one.
I was in the south of the Aude in France when I saw this graffiti which says, "Rosbifs Go Home" (image below).

I was asking if anyone had seen anything similar around other areas of France and my question (so far) has come up with a blank.

Someone helpfully suggested, and I quote:
"You ought to ask in Spain then ...... its the Graffiti capital of Europe
Some is very artistic, some is just a mess."

So you inhabitants of Graffiti Central, have you seen similar things? Does anyone have any images as examples they can post?

My interest in this is because I'm editing a book about graffiti at the moment. The research I have done has been on tree carving! We did a study of tree carving dating back to the 1860s on the beech trees around Wayland Smithy in Oxfordshire. You can tell an interesting social history from graffiti that you don't get from other sources. I lived 10 years in France, 2 years in Greece and 2 years in Italy, my father lives in Spain along with most of his side of the familiy, my mother was Welsh and looked understanding when cottages got burned in the 1970s and I'm interested in how people are reacting to all the British that are moving abroad.

Thanks
Treskillard
I'm ashamed to say that most of the (very little) graffiti around here is written in english by english kids
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:27 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I'm ashamed to say that most of the (very little) graffiti around here is written in english by english kids
but does it say Spanish Get Out?
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:31 am

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw a lot, an awful lot of graffiti in Malaga, all around malaga and never seen any written in English.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:31 am
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Surely if written by English kids, it would say "Spanish get out, please."
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:33 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
along those lines

a teacher at school asked me to translate what some english kids had spray painted by the school gate

'Arenal is Ours'
(Arenal is the name of the school)
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:33 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Lochy

PMSL
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:35 am
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

PMSL

What's PMSL.

I aint finished on the other one yet, couldn't resist that though!!!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:37 am
¿Dónde estoy?

What's PMSL.

I aint finished on the other one yet, couldn't resist that though!!!
maybe a bit rude

pi$$ed myself laughing
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:44 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

HO HO. Spanish forum is a bit busier than the French one! Lively even. The graffiti I posted is written it seems by some sort of separatist Occitan movement (one person or more is anyones guess. It is also on a road that leads towards an area with alot of British Alternative Settlers (Hippies?) as well as being near the Ryanair shockwaves.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:53 am
The Best Fed Scot

Originally Posted by treskillard
HO HO. Spanish forum is a bit busier than the French one! Lively even. The graffiti I posted is written it seems by some sort of separatist Occitan movement (one person or more is anyones guess. It is also on a road that leads towards an area with alot of British Alternative Settlers (Hippies?) as well as being near the Ryanair shockwaves.
Not much anti British graffitti here, actually not much graffitti at all, but you do get some anti-spanish and anti-french graffitti. They often plaster the local government/police buildings with yellow and red paint. They throw it at the spanish flags that are flying outside.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

just thought of some graffiti we do get

all the road signs have Javea/Xabia, or Xabia/Javea on them - the Xabia being the Valenciano spelling

many of them have the Javea spray painted out by a sort of 'seperatist' group around here
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:59 am
The Best Fed Scot

just thought of some graffiti we do get

all the road signs have Javea/Xabia, or Xabia/Javea on them - the Xabia being the Valenciano spelling

many of them have the Javea spray painted out by a sort of 'seperatist' group around here
We get a lot of that here. Makes it doubly confusing that the names of the towns often bare little relation to each other in Basque - San Sebastian is Donostia and Vitoria is Gasteiz for example.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:05 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the graffiti that we have seen has been political and anti nazi.

Rosemary
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:29 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Most graffiti round here is political, and usually anti corruption, anti certain political parties, anti the police. It is ALL in Spanish, I've NEVER seen any anti British or ati English graffiti. None of the graffiti round here is very artistic in any case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.