Reload this Page >

Antenatal Teacher, Doula & Yoga Teacher moving to Spain

Antenatal Teacher, Doula & Yoga Teacher moving to Spain

Old Oct 15th 2007, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

tranquildoula is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Antenatal Teacher, Doula & Yoga Teacher moving to Spain

Hi,

My husband and I are seriously thinking about moving from here in Wolverhampton (West Midlands) to Spain in a couple of years time, so we have started doing our home work and planning now.

We haven't decided on where in Spain yet. We would like to move somewhere where it is warm or hot all year round. We have only been to a few places in Spain over the last few years - Tenerfife, Callella, Barcalona and Alcudia, but we would ideally like to find a nice tranquil place perhaps in a rural place, but near a town. Has anyone any ideas please of suitable places to live that fit the bill?

I am an Antenatal Teacher, Antenatal and Postnatal Doula and Antenatal and Postnatal Yoga Teacher. I would ideally like to work self employed within a local Spanish Birthing Centre or Clinic and also on a private one to one basis. Is there much call for my line of work?

We are also thinking about perhaps buying a property large enough so that I could offer my services on a weekend residential retreat basis.

Thanks

Michele
Old Oct 16th 2007, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Mama May is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Antenatal Teacher, Doula & Yoga Teacher moving to Spain

Hi There
I am a breastfeeding counsellor & doula and have been exploring work avenues too

To be totally honest, I don't see a way I could operate as a doula within the Spanish system - for the most part birth it seens is is rather like it was 20 yrs ago here; women labouring on backs, fathers not present if CS (which is a huge rate due to women labouring on backs and ineffective birth support!) seperating mother and baby postnatally by putting the baby in a nursery. As my services are to inform/educate and empower women to do what their body intended, it wouldn't work for me anyway

If using independent midwifery services/private clinic would I think be much more feasible - whether there's demand...no idea!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 7:06 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm from Wolverhampton too, near Tettenhall, where are you from?

(Can't help with the birthing I'm afraid, past all that a long time ago!).
Old Oct 16th 2007, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

spanishfamily is on a distinguished road

Its true to say that the Spanish system is v. different from the UK and most Spanish women are (sadly!) not familiar with the greater freedom we are used to in childbirth. But I think there is an increasing home birth movement in Spain and I have heard that there is a hospital in the Alicante(?) area, (private, I'm sure) that is doing water births, so things are gradually changing. I think among the expat community there would be a demand for more antenatal and postnatal support, and yoga is always popular! Best of luck with your plans!