Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

another wanna be.... with dumb questions...

another wanna be.... with dumb questions...

Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

bigfred is an unknown quantity at this point
Default another wanna be.... with dumb questions...

ok, here goes....

I have been reading these forums for a little while now and finally thought that i should register, so i can start picking everybodys brain...

my wife and 8 month old son have finally decided that we want to move abroad and make a better, yet more simple, life for ourselves in TENERIFE.

We have a few questions, very broad questions with very broad answers I'm sure.

I am currently a HGV driver, with an administration back ground when i was in the Army, up to junior manager level. My wife is a pharmacy dispenser but we are planning on her not needing to work.

Our few questions are...

1. Are jobs plentyful in Tenerife? (i said they were broad questions)
What i mean by this is.... are there jobs that would suit someone in my position to be able to provide for my family.. I'm not exactly swimming in qualifications but i am however able to turn my hand to pretty much anything.

2. What are the average earnings for any jobs that you may have mentiond in question 1.

3. What is the average rent per month for a 2 bed apartment/villa/house etc etc?

4. What is the cost of living really like? Its very difficult to judge this on a 2 week holiday.

I think that will do me for tonight.... like i said.... very broad questions.... probably very difficult to answer.... would appreciate any feedback though.

Cheers.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice
Default Re: another wanna be.... with dumb questions...

Originally Posted by bigfred
ok, here goes....

I have been reading these forums for a little while now and finally thought that i should register, so i can start picking everybodys brain...

my wife and 8 month old son have finally decided that we want to move abroad and make a better, yet more simple, life for ourselves in TENERIFE.

We have a few questions, very broad questions with very broad answers I'm sure.

I am currently a HGV driver, with an administration back ground when i was in the Army, up to junior manager level. My wife is a pharmacy dispenser but we are planning on her not needing to work.

Our few questions are...

1. Are jobs plentyful in Tenerife? (i said they were broad questions)
What i mean by this is.... are there jobs that would suit someone in my position to be able to provide for my family.. I'm not exactly swimming in qualifications but i am however able to turn my hand to pretty much anything.

2. What are the average earnings for any jobs that you may have mentiond in question 1.

3. What is the average rent per month for a 2 bed apartment/villa/house etc etc?

4. What is the cost of living really like? Its very difficult to judge this on a 2 week holiday.

I think that will do me for tonight.... like i said.... very broad questions.... probably very difficult to answer.... would appreciate any feedback though.

Cheers.
Hi Big Fred, haven't a clue about the answers to any of your questions, but thought I'd say HI!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I cant help either ... sorry, but welcome & hopefully someone will be along soon
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:44 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

hopefully someone from the Canaries will be on soon to help you. Cost of Living, and therefore of housing is higher than that of mainland Spain, something we found our when we were investigating moving there.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

gettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant future

I spent 14 years on Tenerife snd returned to the UK. Whilst there enjoyed it very much but glad I left when I did! both my kids born there BTW. Now a little out of date but it is very expensive to live we paid about £600 pm rent then for a small 2 bed house,(10 years ago) cars are pricey and IMO the island is now corrupted by timeshare and russians! but like I say loved it at the time if I was going to canaries now I would think about Fuerteventura, my OH is also a HGV driver and I can honestly say there would be no work for him there, v small island everything comes in by boat on containers and delivered in Luton vans!! (with some exceptions!) if you want to PM me feel free snd I can be as honest as you like then! You would need money to go with though and the state schools there are not great- hsve to say though thst the healthcare was suberb! good luck
Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:37 am
Just Joined

bigfred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gettingthere
I spent 14 years on Tenerife snd returned to the UK. Whilst there enjoyed it very much but glad I left when I did! both my kids born there BTW. Now a little out of date but it is very expensive to live we paid about £600 pm rent then for a small 2 bed house,(10 years ago) cars are pricey and IMO the island is now corrupted by timeshare and russians! but like I say loved it at the time if I was going to canaries now I would think about Fuerteventura, my OH is also a HGV driver and I can honestly say there would be no work for him there, v small island everything comes in by boat on containers and delivered in Luton vans!! (with some exceptions!) if you want to PM me feel free snd I can be as honest as you like then! You would need money to go with though and the state schools there are not great- hsve to say though thst the healthcare was suberb! good luck
thanks for the info...
Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Ick, sounds rough for Tenerife.

Putting the poor guy off, hehe.