Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ANOTHER Phone/Satellite Question....

ANOTHER Phone/Satellite Question....

Old Oct 8th 2010, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default ANOTHER Phone/Satellite Question....

Sorry if this has been asked before, please point me in the right direction if so!

I wonder if it's possible to buy satellite internet access to be used from Astra/whoever rather than the UK satellite? We don't have paid for Sky & besides I guess it wouldn't be a legal way of getting internet/phone even if we did?
But, given that we have both UK satellite and on a separate dish, Astra x 2, maybe a Spanish provider does such a system? We both have mobiles but during a recent virus problem my laptop has 'infected' our radiophone thingy (Burnside unit) so although we still have yet another movistar mobile number, the internet isn't working.
Help anyone?
nb for those not accustomed to my rantings about phone connection, we have no line of site to any masts so our only option is satellite/radio stuff!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:43 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ANOTHER Phone/Satellite Question....

I dont think there are any internet providers on the UK TV satellites....so you would be looking at another dish....

and you would need an LNB designed for sending and receiving, and these are not designed for prime focus "big dishes" - they are a bit heavy...!

But there are providers on other satellites that cover most of Europe, like Astra 1 at 19 east.
Astra2Connect and Skydsl are two such companies (note the last one is NOTHING to do with BSkyB or Uncle Rups)

Telefonica / moviestar do a phone / adsl vis satellite, using Hispasat at 30 west, and I am sure you can get some spanish telly in a deal from them also - as spanish telly is also on that satellite
Old Oct 8th 2010, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Fracman has a spectacular aura aboutFracman has a spectacular aura aboutFracman has a spectacular aura about

Fiona,

If you get a Movistar mobile phone signal at your finca then I can recommend to go talk to Rosy at the Movistar shop in Antequerra, opposite the police station on the high street, she was most helpfull in providing us with a Movistar Internet Dongle, its Euro 19:00 per month plus IVA based on an 18 month contract.
I have had it for 3 weeks now and it has never failed to connect to the 3G Network at a speed of 7.2mbs .
I also had one of those Telefonica " Trac Radio Phones" for years, I have cancelled the contract because am so pleased with the performance and reliability of the dongle, we use Skype for all our local and International telephone calls with no delay or echo even when the other person chooses to use their web cam during the call.

Cheers
Ken
Old Oct 8th 2010, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive the naivete, but is that 19 plus calls or 19 all in? I wouldn't know...!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fionamw
Sorry if this has been asked before, please point me in the right direction if so!

I wonder if it's possible to buy satellite internet access to be used from Astra/whoever rather than the UK satellite? We don't have paid for Sky & besides I guess it wouldn't be a legal way of getting internet/phone even if we did?
But, given that we have both UK satellite and on a separate dish, Astra x 2, maybe a Spanish provider does such a system? We both have mobiles but during a recent virus problem my laptop has 'infected' our radiophone thingy (Burnside unit) so although we still have yet another movistar mobile number, the internet isn't working.
Help anyone?
nb for those not accustomed to my rantings about phone connection, we have no line of site to any masts so our only option is satellite/radio stuff!
There are few companies that do satellite internet, usually from a seperately installed dish, as a seperate transmitter will be required.

The quality is usually exceptionally good and replicates Landline broadband in terms of download speeds, once the initial installation has been done ( anywhere from 600 to 1000€ depending on provider), the monthly costs (about 30€ for 1.5GB or 2GB) are comparable to a standard landline based Broadband connection. SKY DSL is not a true sat to sat setup, and uses a mobile connection for Upload (unless they have updated the system recently),
Satspeed (www.satspeed.de ) (Hotbird 6 at 13.0E) is one of the most competetive for monthly rates vs download
Dongles are ok, but are relatively slow, and you can get "thrown" off the network when the local area is busy!!
The phone system I have with the Sat connection is of excellent quality with free phone calls to landlines in the EU. and a Spanish landline number so can be used with voip (Phone to Phone) systems for calls outside the EU.
All in very reliable.
The issue to watch when setting up a contract is in the Download volume/€, which varies greatly and the consequences of the FUP(Fair use policy) should be clearly understood.

Last edited by Solarwhizz; Oct 8th 2010 at 9:13 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Fracman has a spectacular aura aboutFracman has a spectacular aura aboutFracman has a spectacular aura about

Fiona,

Its Euro 19:00 plus IVA all in per month, they provide the dongle for free providing you sign the 18 month contract, as mentioned we use Skype for all our calls, as you probably know when you call fellow Skype member its free, if you want to call a land line or mobile number then the charge for each call shall be deducted from your Skype credit, which by the way is peanuts per minute.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Fracman
Fiona,

Its Euro 19:00 plus IVA all in per month, they provide the dongle for free providing you sign the 18 month contract, as mentioned we use Skype for all our calls, as you probably know when you call fellow Skype member its free, if you want to call a land line or mobile number then the charge for each call shall be deducted from your Skype credit, which by the way is peanuts per minute.
What is the monthly data allowance? I think it's only 1gb per month. Not a lot, especially if you're using VOIP software like Skype..

Vodafone do something similar, but it would cost in excess of 50€ per month to get the data allowance we use.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by derek500
What is the monthly data allowance? I think it's only 1gb per month. Not a lot, especially if you're using VOIP software like Skype..

Vodafone do something similar, but it would cost in excess of 50€ per month to get the data allowance we use.
Maybe FRACMAN's contract is this one :
http://www.tarifas.movistar.es/parti...nainternetmini
Seems to allow half price €11,02 per month for first 6 months then €22,04 incldg IVA per month for last 12 months.
If the amount of data used in a month exceeds 500mb the speed drops to snail pace 128kpbs.

Promociónválida hasta el 30/09/2010, para todas las altas con Contrato Internet y Tarifa Plana Internet Mini y con un contrato de permanencia de al menos 18 meses. Tarifa Plana Internet Mini: 9,5€/mes (11,02€/mes IVA incl.) los 6 primeros meses completos de facturación. Resto de meses: 19€/mes (22,04 IVA incl.). Una vez superados 500MB de consumo mensual en la tarifa, la velocidad máxima de descarga será de 128 Kbps y de 64 Kpbs de subida- Los precios son válidos en territorio nacional. WIFI ilimitado en los hotspot de Movistar.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Nige,

You beat me too it , here is another link to the promotion internet contract that I have with Movistar, I have already exceeded the 500mb yet the speed I have is still excellent, as mentioned when using Skype including the web cam on there is no delay or lag during any conversation so far.

Old Oct 9th 2010, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Simyo do a better deal, 5gb for 24.99€ (29.49€ inc. IVA),

https://www.simyo.es/simyo/portal/st...data-priceplan
Old Oct 10th 2010, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Nige,

You beat me too it , here is another link to the promotion internet contract that I have with Movistar, I have already exceeded the 500mb yet the speed I have is still excellent, as mentioned when using Skype including the web cam on there is no delay or lag during any conversation so far.

The speed will probably reduce sooner or later and then you will know whether the deal is good or not. I think once you are using the Internet more and not only for Skyping you will find that 500 mb of data is very low. Per month that is.
And MOVISTAR may have a 'lag' before the speed reduces.
Skype or VOIP (Voice over internet protocol) does use up the MBs quickly.
If the contract is not suited you may need to return to your Rosy and ask for a replacement contract ?
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

According my traffic report I have consumed 1.65 gig, speed is still 7.2mbs, having suffered 52.6 kbs when using the Trac Phone am very happy with the current speed and reliability, not once has it ever dropped out from the 3G signal even during the recent heavy rains we have had up here in the campo.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:39 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

According my traffic report I have consumed 1.65 gig, speed is still 7.2mbs, having suffered 52.6 kbs when using the Trac Phone am very happy with the current speed and reliability, not once has it ever dropped out from the 3G signal even during the recent heavy rains we have had up here in the campo.
Fracman, have you tried a speed test?

http://www.speedtest.net/

This is mine off a telefonica landline

It's just that I've never known a dongle to run at 7.2BMb/s, nor anywhere near it.

I'd be interested to see what speed you actually get.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Jimento,

Here it is.

Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

That is a weird result, surely the download should be much higher than the upload.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.