Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Another Franco anniversary over.

Another Franco anniversary over.

Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Franco anniversary over.

Originally Posted by bil
Now we come to the key point. These idiots then start shrieking that prisoners have more rights than they do and live in luxury.

So people like us then say, 1. please define what you mean by luxury and 2) please define what you describe as a right.
I just don't understand why you just go on and on, again you post things that people never said, where did anyone say that prisoners have more rights and lived in luxury? are your glasses playing up

1) What I mean by luxury where you read it is having access to free TV, access to a free gym for example, but then I would have though that was clear in the post.

2) 'A human right in our society' from it being used in the post, but again I would have thought that is clear from what was posted.

Originally Posted by bil
You then get a lot of bluster, abuse and garbage thrown at you in a desperate attempt to muddy the water
Gosh bil, the only one I can see doing this is you.

Being a little forgetful at the moment are we?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:01 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Just thought of something.

Has there ever been any proven reserch done that can demonstrate that harsher penalties act as a deterrent?
I dont know if it can be proved, but Nelson Mandela was given a harsh sentence, 27 years or so, and as far as I know he has not re-offended.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:02 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
bil, I am not going to dispute with you or the Court of human rights as to what is a right and what is not. To be honest I don't care if it is a democratic right, a human right or a prerogative of free people as you call it, I just don't think it is something a prisoner is given the access to.

Why do you pick up on the word 'right' and then go off on this ramble, if the word did not suit you: the point being made was clear.
I asked the (very) simple question to see what the **** it was that you wanted to deny them.

Let's start with freedom. They are rightly denied that, and prison is meant to be a punishment, so they don't get to vote, they don't get heterosexual relief, all fair and good. What else do you seek to deny them access to?

I'm genuinely curious here. I didn't 'pick up' on it I just want to know exactly what it is you are referring to. Without defining something, how can we know exactly what we are talking about?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:04 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't understand why you just go on and on, again you post things that people never said, where did anyone say that prisoners have more rights and lived in luxury? are your glasses playing up

1) What I mean by luxury where you read it is having access to free TV, access to a free gym for example, but then I would have though that was clear in the post.

2) 'A human right in our society' from it being used in the post, but again I would have thought that is clear from what was posted.

Gosh bil, the only one I can see doing this is you.

Being a little forgetful at the moment are we?

See, you are doing it again? bluster and muddy. Stick to the point.

OK, so you want them denied, what, all relief from boredom? Books too? Magazines? newspapers? Or are you saying they can have them if they pay?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I asked the (very) simple question to see what the **** it was that you wanted to deny them.

Let's start with freedom. They are rightly denied that, and prison is meant to be a punishment, so they don't get to vote, they don't get heterosexual relief, all fair and good. What else do you seek to deny them access to?

I'm genuinely curious here. I didn't 'pick up' on it I just want to know exactly what it is you are referring to. Without defining something, how can we know exactly what we are talking about?
If you didn't understand bil I am sorry but I would have though what was being meant was clear from the post.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
OK, so you want them denied, what, all relief from boredom? Books too? Magazines? newspapers? Or are you saying they can have them if they pay?
What is wrong with work for one thing, prison factories manufacturing clothing, even other items that can be commercially used, this would probably have the advantage of being helpful towards reforming them for a start, but again this needs to be work and involve discipline, this does not mean an easy day controlled by the prisoners union and human rights that are available to someone not incriminated.

Look tools needed for reform need to be used but the problem is that these things are generally not there to reform them, probably to keep boredom at bay and stop causing problems. Giving prisoners something to do which helps reform them would be a start rather than to let them sit and watch the TV.
Removing prisoners from the command of human rights but creating a prisoners charter of rights where prison officers and even government clear away a lot of the crap they have to deal with might be helpful, then hopefully allow for some freedom of movement within the prison service in dealing with prisoners... for example.

I can just see Brussels bringing in something like that, not.

Last edited by Econ; Dec 1st 2010 at 4:22 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:20 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
Haven't read all this thread, so apologies if it has already been mentioned, but Newsnight came from a prison last night with Ken Clarke and Paxman!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...ewsnight.shtml
From what I saw of it, most seemed happy there with little desire to leave. One lag was saying about the other prisioners saying to him,"Only three days before you are out" but he couldn't share their enthusiasm, he didn't want to leave. Another basically said it was a breeze in there, no punishment apart from missing the wife and kids. Another entered prison clean and delveloped a heroin addiction whilst in prison!
Prison is a breeze. You don't have to make any plans or decisions. It's all laid out for you, and you get out of the habit, knack, call it what you will. Boredom will drive people to drugs. That in itself is interesting. They daren't use dope, as it stays in the system so long that you are very likely to get caught with the drug tests, so they turn to heroin as it is out of the system very quickly. Living proof that neither the drug laws or the prison system is much use is the fact that it is reported that it is easier to get heroin in the nick than outside.

All that conspires to institutionalise you, and you end up terrified of leaving.

That's not the prisoner's fault. It's a human response. If you want to have them stay out, you need to help them get over that.

It's therefore necessary to keep them connected to their families and the world outside, but ooopps, that means more visits and.... wait for it...TV !!
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:23 pm
bil
Banned

What is wrong with work for one thing, prison factories manufacturing clothing, even other items that can be commercially used, this would probably have the advantage of being helpful towards reforming them for a start, but again this needs to be work and involve discipline, this does not mean an easy day controlled by the prisoners union and human rights that are available to someone not incriminated.

Look tools needed for reform need to be used but the problem is what that they are not there to reform them, probably to keep boredom at bay. Giving prisoners something to do which helps reform them would be a start rather than to let them sit and watch the TV.
Removing prisoners from the command of human rights but creating a prisoners charter of rights where prison officers and even government clear away a lot of the crap they have to deal with might be helpful, then hopefully allow for some freedom of movement within the prison service in dealing with prisoners... for example.
Well, that does make a bit more sense. A structured work environment would be good, but are you going to allow them to earn money? Personally I think that they should, they jus shouldn't be able to spend it in prison, but it should be in a savings account awaiting them outside, with a small % of it as an allowance for treats supplied in a way that can't be traded for contraband.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:24 pm
bil
Banned

If you didn't understand bil I am sorry but I would have though what was being meant was clear from the post.
No, that's the point. It wasn't clear. Only now are you starting to make sensible suggestions rather than a blanket, undefined demand for their rights to be removed.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
That's not the prisoner's fault. It's a human response. If you want to have them stay out, you need to help them get over that.

It's therefore necessary to keep them connected to their families and the world outside, but ooopps, that means more visits and.... wait for it...TV !!
I though they do get access to families, what do you mean, have a Sat night special? get to see their kids in prison?

Prisoners coming up to release from long term can be eased into life towards the end of their sentence, giving them more access to their families and things like TV starts to take a way a deterrent. I really can't see how this is the solution to the problem.

I see there is a prison in Spain running an experiment where it is like a family prison, the kids and wife all can stay. What would worry me in this would be that kids might think that prisons are the norm and nothing to be ashamed of being put in.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat...lyprison_x.htm
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:38 pm
bil
Banned

I though they do get access to families, what do you mean, have a Sat night special? get to see their kids in prison?

Prisoners coming up to release from long term can be eased into life towards the end of their sentence, giving them more access to their families and things like TV starts to take a way a deterrent. I really can't see how this is the solution to the problem.

I see there is a prison in Spain running an experiment where it is like a family prison, the kids and wife all can stay. What would worry me in this would be that kids might think that prisons are the norm and nothing to be ashamed of being put in.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat...lyprison_x.htm

From what have read, it is almost as if there is a conspiracy to ensure that the maximum number of prisoners reoffend. They seem to be sent to a jail that is as far away from their families as possible, it's made hard for their partners to visit, there isn't much care put into easing a lot of them out, and I read that they get one week's money and not allowed to sign on for two weeks.

It's possible that some of that has improved in the last few years........

Oh yes, wasn't there an interesting article on Group 4 prisons? The warders have to address prisoners as 'Mr Jones' etc (just as the prisoners have to address the guards politely.) Apparantly they have a lot less problems there.

All in all, I don't care what happens to them. I just want them to stop, so if sending them off to swim with dolphins means they won't reoffend, and banging them up means they will, I'm all for giving the dolphins a chance. The 2nd time tho it's going to be the sharks........
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
Well, that does make a bit more sense. A structured work environment would be good, but are you going to allow them to earn money? Personally I think that they should, they jus shouldn't be able to spend it in prison, but it should be in a savings account awaiting them outside, with a small % of it as an allowance for treats supplied in a way that can't be traded for contraband.
It seems logical that they just do not return to the streets without a penny, earn a normal wage for the work but then it being clearly shown that a high percentage is deducted to go towards their keep in HM service.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:45 pm
bil
Banned

It seems logical that they just do not return to the streets without a penny, earn a normal wage for the work but then it being clearly shown that a high percentage is deducted to go towards their keep in HM service.
Fair enough, but if you are going to charge them, then you have to pay them a proper wage.

Actually that's not bad. Get them used to having a good wage coming in and they might want to keep that particular habit.

Now all you have to do is kick the habit so many have of making bad choices.