Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Another Franco anniversary over.

Another Franco anniversary over.

Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:35 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Franco anniversary over.

Originally Posted by Econ
The answer was to your post bil and what was being pointed out was the fact that democracy can be similar to what you where condemning in a dictatorship, just done differently.

No one is saying world dictators did not do some terrible things, some more terrible than others. Franco was the topic of this thread and in general that is what I was reffering to, all I am pointing out when you balance things up with what current so called democratic leaders have done against people to what Franco and even some other dictators have done to people then there may not be a lot of difference except that one was done democratically! So it is got away with in general, even though many people speak out against it in the democratic society nothing is done to question the people who took the action although that is not to say it won’t be in the future.

How many of our soldiers and thousands of innocent other people have been killed because of a decision taken because there was the opportunity for a couple of democratic leaders to go down in history as being greater than they might otherwise have? rather than gathering accurate information and then going forward on that. If it fair to also take into consideration here that the true consequences of what they did where not considered. Their lack of knowledge and failure having created the largest terrorist organisation the world has ever know, goodness knows the number of innocent people that will be killed in the future because of this action, democracy at work.

One ‘democratic’ leader who took us into this war on false information made over £5 million in the last year with after dinner speeches, mostly based on his years when he took the UK into that war, this will pay towards his £4.5 M mortgage on his property portfolio of 5 properties that ex prime ministers generally need, democracy at work.

Ireland said No to a referendum but was made to vote again, would they have been made to vote again if they said Yes in the first place? democracy at work.

Two Prime Ministers promised the people of the UK a vote on the EU referendum while one future Prime Minister the same, neither of the Prime Minister gave the people this vote while the future Prime Minister couldn’t because Brussels made sure they got things in place to stop that. Do people think that Brussels did not have something to do with the British people not getting that promised vote while these two Prime Ministers where in power? democracy at work.

Criminals have the same rights as you because of confusion and fear from laws put into place by Brussels, in fact they actually end up having more rights than the innocent because of this ‘democratic’ lunacy and now a criminal, even one who is a terrorist whose only objective is to harm or destroy the country can vote in an election, democracy at work.

You pay taxes for many things, the things you would like to pay taxes for are things like policing, the health service, public services in general so we can live a clean, healthy and safe life but it seems that the ‘democratic’ politicians and councillors that are supposed to make sure we get these things with our taxes. These people are more interested in using a major part of this money for their pensions and self gain, this is not a small scale, it is right across the board… the pensions that these people pay themselves are obscene compared to what the general working class could ever dream to earn and yet it is the working class that pay the major part into these pension funds and while these people are allowed to do this in a ‘democratic’ society the people of the country have to suffer from their services because the money is not available to run them as they should be. Granted many people are having a difficult time financially at the moment but one of the only advantages of a situation like this is for some to waken up to what you are actually paying in taxes.

These politicians of our democratic countries had a unique opportunity over the last several years to build investment funds that could help keep public services buoyant but they where actually selling off everything they could ‘including gold reserves’ to raise more money for their lunatic expenditure… yes, even in thee ‘golden’ years they where not bringing in enough money through taxes for their ‘their’ pensions not ours’ and keep those who didn’t want to work in luxury.

At the end of the day we might soon be all be as poor as the people of countries run by dictators while the people who rule us are the wealthy ones, one of the main differences will be that it is not the politicians or police we will need to be frightened of but all the criminals on the streets because our democratic politicians where too busy trying to get rich and keep the lazy at bay rather than give the people of the country the main things expected of a democratic society.

No one is saying a dictatorship is better than democracy, maybe just trying to point out that in reality there might not be a lot of difference except in a dictatorship you would probably generally be safer and have a more relaxed life, you just need to tow the line.
Well, I would just point out that I didn't say that democracy was a faultless solution. I seem to remember quoting whoever it was that said it was a failure, just that it failed better than anything else we have tried.

I'm absolutely fascinated by one thing. You say that criminals have more rights than free citizens.

I'd appreciate it if you would expand on that with a comparison list?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:48 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of points I would like to see added to the mix. First off, I expect the winners in any conflict to exaggerate the nastiness of the enemy and sanctify their own actions. So, I'm less impressed by tales of the left eating babies and raping priests, or whatever.

Secondly, apportion blame properly, and read George Orwell's 'Homage to Catalunya.'

A most interesting book. The republicans proper were the catalunyans who had had enough, and staged, according to Orwell, a remarkably civilised and tolerant overturning of the then conventional society.

This was then 'supported ' by the far left imported from Russia, who saw it as a way to gain influence and territories in the West. The original, tolerant republicans were then displaced, executed and replaced by the hard left russian backed forces which were a very nasty bunch indeed.

While Franco was an ugly result for Spain (had the Catalunyan republic been uncontaminated by the far left and had spread over Spain, history could have been more interesting and less brutal); had the Russian Republican forces won, IMO history would have taken a turn far worse than anything Franco achieved.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:08 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Couple of points I would like to see added to the mix. First off, I expect the winners in any conflict to exaggerate the nastiness of the enemy and sanctify their own actions. So, I'm less impressed by tales of the left eating babies and raping priests, or whatever.

Secondly, apportion blame properly, and read George Orwell's 'Homage to Catalunya.'

A most interesting book. The republicans proper were the catalunyans who had had enough, and staged, according to Orwell, a remarkably civilised and tolerant overturning of the then conventional society.

This was then 'supported ' by the far left imported from Russia, who saw it as a way to gain influence and territories in the West. The original, tolerant republicans were then displaced, executed and replaced by the hard left russian backed forces which were a very nasty bunch indeed.

While Franco was an ugly result for Spain (had the Catalunyan republic been uncontaminated by the far left and had spread over Spain, history could have been more interesting and less brutal); had the Russian Republican forces won, IMO history would have taken a turn far worse than anything Franco achieved.

I agree with your last point, ie.Stalinism would likely have been far worse than Francoism, in just about every respect.

With regard to Orwell, he already had an axe to grind when he went to Spain and his personal knowledge and experience of the war was very limited, to say the least.
Much the same applies to many English language books on the civil war, with writers either seeing or experiencing the proceedings mainly from a Republican point of view.
The picture most of them paint, tends to make Franco's side the baddies and the Republicans the goodies, when in actual fact one lot was equally as bad as the other, indeed the Republicans were well into committing attrocities long before the Civil War kicked off.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
when in actual fact one lot was equally as bad as the other, indeed the Republicans were well into committing attrocities long before the Civil War kicked off.
And where are your sources for that Mr. Historian?

Paul Preston and Anthony Beevor may be English but they are very well respected hisotrians the world over and especially in Spain. When their books were published here, they made headline news, but they did not cause a great deal of controversy.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:27 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
And where are your sources for that Mr. Historian?

Paul Preston and Anthony Beevor may be English but they are very well respected hisotrians the world over and especially in Spain. When their books were published here, they made headline news, but they did not cause a great deal of controversy.
I would agree with you regarding Beevor, however with regard to Orwell and his ilk, I don't think that accurate historical facts from a neutral viewpoint was their strongpoint.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:21 pm
bil
Banned

I agree with your last point, ie.Stalinism would likely have been far worse than Francoism, in just about every respect.

With regard to Orwell, he already had an axe to grind when he went to Spain and his personal knowledge and experience of the war was very limited, to say the least.
Much the same applies to many English language books on the civil war, with writers either seeing or experiencing the proceedings mainly from a Republican point of view.
The picture most of them paint, tends to make Franco's side the baddies and the Republicans the goodies, when in actual fact one lot was equally as bad as the other, indeed the Republicans were well into committing attrocities long before the Civil War kicked off.
Yeah, but the point I was making was that Orwell's portrayal clearly showed a massive difference between the far left and the catalunyan republicans. That was the point that I was attempting to make.

Orwell may or may not have had an axe to grind, but he was very clear in what the far left was like, and what it was after. If you haven't read the book, it bears study. Interestingly, in his descriptions of the tactics of the far left I could clearly detect the aroma of what he was going to write in 1984.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:08 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by bil
Yeah, but the point I was making was that Orwell's portrayal clearly showed a massive difference between the far left and the catalunyan republicans. That was the point that I was attempting to make.

Orwell may or may not have had an axe to grind, but he was very clear in what the far left was like, and what it was after. If you haven't read the book, it bears study. Interestingly, in his descriptions of the tactics of the far left I could clearly detect the aroma of what he was going to write in 1984.
Yes,I've read the book and hopefully understand where he was coming from.
However I believe he later on admitted to becoming somewhat disillusioned not only with the war itself , and the numerous squabbling factions involved on the Republican side, but also with what his own view of things had been at that particular time.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:27 pm
bil
Banned

Yes,I've read the book and hopefully understand where he was coming from.
However I believe he later on admitted to becoming somewhat disillusioned not only with the war itself , and the numerous squabbling factions involved on the Republican side, but also with what his own view of things had been at that particular time.
Yeah, and as you have read the book, you can understand it. He came into the war and saw what the Catalan revolution was all about. He described it as being a relatively peaceful overturning of the status quo by an overwhelming majority who had had enough.

This utopia (when compared to the usual results of revolutions) was then abused, trashed and destroyed by the 'hard' left russian backed fighters who wanted power at any cost. G.O. was himself imprisoned, or threatened with imprisonment and had he not managed to escape, the probability was that like so many of his friends and comrades of the 'soft' left he would have been disappeared, and executed/murdered.

Scant wonder then that his original possibly naive view of the moral superiority of the left as a whole took a serious beating. I'd say that had he not become disillusioned, then the bullet that passed thru his throat must have seriously addled his brains.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Well, I would just point out that I didn't say that democracy was a faultless solution. I seem to remember quoting whoever it was that said it was a failure, just that it failed better than anything else we have tried.
Yes I realise that.

Originally Posted by bil
I'm absolutely fascinated by one thing. You say that criminals have more rights than free citizens.

I'd appreciate it if you would expand on that with a comparison list?
Not that I really want to get into this on this thread and BTW you are not getting a comparison list either. When I read that it sounded like a request from a Euro MP to try and take a stand for the system he is involved in running but doing nothing to fix

Practically everyone in the UK has to pay a TV license fee, criminals generally get this for free, the whole TV, license and SKY package. Now TV can be removed if a prisoners behaviour is deemed unreasonable! Where they not unreasonable to get into prison in the first place?
Prisoners do not pay for their food, tax payers pay for it for them, prisoners get free recreational activities, they get their bed, computer access, the general public need to pay fully for all those things, why do criminals have a right for these things for free or close to it? To be honest, why do they have any rights at all is probably more to the point.

Around £40,000 a year it costs tax payers in the UK to keep each of these people in the comfort they do not deserve but that many others cannot afford.

The victim can generally be suffering for years while the criminal is on the streets again (if even put in jail in the first place) and with no remorse. This is can be the case for theft victims but take a rape victim and then the rapist pays very little in comparison to the victim, the victim might never forget the violation but the rapist will be on the street in a very short time, generally not costing him anything other than a short period behind bars.

I just quickly searched out a couple of news items to see how daft the whole criminal system is… and the luxury that these people have to suffer in jails while we all have to work for a living.

Our tax is used to pay criminals to go home (The Tax man will not pay me to go home, I have to cover any travel myself.):
http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/11/10/...00-to-go-home/

Inmate boasts of luxury in UK jail, better health care and on top of this gets paid £10 a week to buy ciggies and chocolate (I have to work for my money to buy luxuries):
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1904...in-prison.html

Prison that was broken into and never attempted to be broken out of:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7366258.stm

If you speed or park double park you are instantly given a fine, a fine that in Spain now is generally around 100 to 200 Euros for double parking. Petty law breaking compaired to theft and yet you are fined a lot of money for the offence… generally without any recourse, yet steal and you will be unfortunate if anything actually happens to you.

I won’t go into all the details but here are a couple of things close to me:

Getting nowhere with a judicial system in Spain after 10 months to get back some stolen property from someone who just ignores the legal system… probably because they know it is easy to do that and get away with it. Currently it has cost 30% of the value of the stolen property along with quite a few hours with police and lawer, I doubt it will go any further even though I am the victim.

A close friend had close on 24,000 Euros stolen about 3.5 years ago (Spain), 2 people caught, one wasn’t taken to court, the other on a second offence has nothing in his, given no fine, no jail and can continue doing the same. The victim has the time spent, lawers and loss to deal with.

Maybe as a matter of interest:
A (UK) detective police man friend explained to me this summer that where he works it is now common to not pursue petty theft. One story was when he was called to a supermarket for the theft of a packet of ham recently! The reason the police detective decided to take things further on this occasion was because the bloke continually went into the supermarket to steal and was getting away with it. Basically the cost of the ham was £4.99 and the reason that this and many other thefts where not pursued by the detective was that the cost of taking the whole thing to court (in the case of a crime like this) would be around £120,000 and as much as he did not see the logic in making the taxpayer face a payment like this for such a small theft is that the man was becoming a pain… because he knew it would be a small chance to be taken to court when it costs so much to do so. Yet this costs the supermarket (the innocent party) money, time and inconvienience, yet the criminal generally gets away with the crime.

Last edited by Econ; Nov 29th 2010 at 9:38 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:45 pm
bil
Banned

Yes I realise that.

Not that I really want to get into this on this thread and BTW you are not getting a comparison list either. When I read that it sounded like a request from a Euro MP to try and take a stand for the system he is involved in running but doing nothing to fix

Practically everyone in the UK has to pay a TV license fee, criminals generally get this for free, the whole TV, license and SKY package. Now TV can be removed if a prisoners behaviour is deemed unreasonable! Where they not unreasonable to get into prison in the first place?
Prisoners do not pay for their food, tax payers pay for it for them, prisoners get free recreational activities, they get their bed, computer access, the general public need to pay fully for all those things, why do criminals have a right for these things for free or close to it? To be honest, why do they have any rights at all is probably more to the point.

Around £40,000 a year it costs tax payers in the UK to keep each of these people in the comfort they do not deserve but that many others cannot afford.

The victim can generally be suffering for years while the criminal is on the streets again (if even put in jail in the first place) and with no remorse. This is can be the case for theft victims but take a rape victim and then the rapist pays very little in comparison to the victim, the victim might never forget the violation but the rapist will be on the street in a very short time, generally not costing him anything other than a short period behind bars.

I just quickly searched out a couple of news items to see how daft the whole criminal system is… and the luxury that these people have to suffer in jails while we all have to work for a living.

Our tax is used to pay criminals to go home (The Tax man will not pay me to go home, I have to cover any travel myself.):
http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/11/10/...00-to-go-home/

Inmate boasts of luxury in UK jail, better health care and on top of this gets paid £10 a week to buy ciggies and chocolate (I have to work for my money to buy luxuries):
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1904...in-prison.html

Prison that was broken into and never attempted to be broken out of:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7366258.stm

If you speed or park double park you are instantly given a fine, a fine that in Spain now is generally around 100 to 200 Euros for double parking. Petty law breaking compaired to theft and yet you are fined a lot of money for the offence… generally without any recourse, yet steal and you will be unfortunate if anything actually happens to you.

I won’t go into all the details but here are a couple of things close to me:

Getting nowhere with a judicial system in Spain after 10 months to get back some stolen property from someone who just ignores the legal system… probably because they know it is easy to do that and get away with it. Currently it has cost 30% of the value of the stolen property along with quite a few hours with police and lawer, I doubt it will go any further even though I am the victim.

A close friend had close on 24,000 Euros stolen about 3.5 years ago (Spain), 2 people caught, one wasn’t taken to court, the other on a second offence has nothing in his, given no fine, no jail and can continue doing the same. The victim has the time spent, lawers and loss to deal with.

Maybe as a matter of interest:
A (UK) detective police man friend explained to me this summer that where he works it is now common to not pursue petty theft. One story was when he was called to a supermarket for the theft of a packet of ham recently! The reason the police detective decided to take things further on this occasion was because the bloke continually went into the supermarket to steal and was getting away with it. Basically the cost of the ham was £4.99 and the reason that this and many other thefts where not pursued by the detective was that the cost of taking the whole thing to court (in the case of a crime like this) would be around £120,000 and as much as he did not see the logic in making the taxpayer face a payment like this for such a small theft is that the man was becoming a pain… because he knew it would be a small chance to be taken to court when it costs so much to do so. Yet this costs the supermarket (the innocent party) money, time and inconvienience, yet the criminal generally gets away with the crime.
Oh yeah, bummer etc, lot of shite, yeah agree with all that.

You just didn't mention any rights.

You said criminals have more rights than I do. To me that's intrinsically counter intuitive, since I have the right to vote, the right to walk free in public places etc etc.

So in fact you meant that if you are a criminal or a politician you get away with a lot of crap that a normal citizen can't? 'Cos that's self evident, I can't do jack about it and I refuse to wear myself to a frazzle about it. I occasionally raise a frazzle of irritation, but that's about all.

You mean to do something?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:46 pm
bil
Banned

Oh yeah, prison a place of comfort? That only applies if you compare it to sleeping rough on the streets with no food.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
You just didn't mention any rights.
?
Someone else who can't read.

Originally Posted by bil
You said criminals have more rights than I do. To me that's intrinsically counter intuitive, since I have the right to vote, the right to walk free in public places etc etc.
Where do you keep yourself, they very soon will have the right to vote and they do walk the streets free, many with tags that mean nothing to them and others who don't even go to jail.

You do seem to enjoy checking your toys out of the pram don't you?

Last edited by Econ; Nov 29th 2010 at 9:55 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
Oh yeah, prison a place of comfort? That only applies if you compare it to sleeping rough on the streets with no food.
Not sure if you are talking from experiance? if it was then maybe you should have gone to a Scottish prison:
http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic.../ai_n55125054/
Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:25 pm
bil
Banned

Someone else who can't read.

Where do you keep yourself, they very soon will have the right to vote and they do walk the streets free, many with tags that mean nothing to them and others who don't even go to jail.

You do seem to enjoy checking your toys out of the pram don't you?
Oh I can read OK. I can also understand the difference between a right, and taking the piss out of a society that refuses to deal with them properly.

You on the other hand seem to lack the ability to distinguish them. Voting in elections is my democratic right. Knicking stuff and getting away with it isn't a right.

It may seem a pedantic distinction.......

I would be fascinated to have you demonstrate that piece of Daily Mail Speak and show me exactly how they are about to get the right to vote?

As for chucking my toys out. Nope, when I do, I swear you'll be able to tell the difference.

Just come back, quit spouting hysterical Mail speak and show us rationally the facts behind your somewhat deranged rantings, or give it a rest.

You remind me a bit of someone who I worked with on the motorways when I was a wee lad. He used to gob on relentlessly about how wonderful it was to live in Russia, how the UK should be run on those grounds, endlessly.

One day I got fed up and told him to be bloody grateful the UK wasn't run on those grounds. I pointed out that were it so, all I would have to do was to grass him as a critic of the government, and he would spend his remaining years in a gulag if he were lucky.

Trouble was, he never had the wit to grasp the fact that the democracy he professed to hate was protecting him from the people he appeared to admire so much.

There's similarities there if you look.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:29 pm
bil
Banned

Not sure if you are talking from experiance? if it was then maybe you should have gone to a Scottish prison:
http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic.../ai_n55125054/
Oh I love it. And which fount of hard facts was this? Why, that'll be the Daily Mail.

You are so right. WHAT a life of comfort and luxury they lead. It makes me want to walk out of the nice warm house that I own and comment a truly horrific crime so that the terrible hardships I suffer here will cease to trouble me. Never again will I wonder which part of the garden I should weed, or maybe go to the beach, no more need I cook what ever I like, oh how I could go on.

Tell me, what would be the best way I can leave this hell hole I live in and move to one of her majesty's luxury jails?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.