British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Another Electricity Provider (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/another-electricity-provider-709422/)

davidinspain Mar 15th 2011 10:01 am

Another Electricity Provider

Has anybody opted out from Ibidrola They are telling me that (at my expense) I have to have a current limiting ICP fitted.Or they will charge me the 10kw rate even though I get home for the odd few days every six months or so and use minimal electricity.And in true Ibidrola fashion after I have it fitted they expect me to wait around for 4 weeks until they seal the ICP:frown:

snikpoh Mar 15th 2011 11:50 am

Re: Another Electricity Provider

Originally Posted by Daveinspain (Post 9240946)
Has anybody opted out from Ibidrola They are telling me that (at my expense) I have to have a current limiting ICP fitted.Or they will charge me the 10kw rate even though I get home for the odd few days every six months or so and use minimal electricity.And in true Ibidrola fashion after I have it fitted they expect me to wait around for 4 weeks until they seal the ICP:frown:

Other threads have already discussed this - use an independent electrician!

Is there really an 'opt-out' from Iberdrola (only Endessa, I guess?).

Fred James Mar 15th 2011 4:09 pm

The requirement to have an ICP is nationwide and not dependent on the individual supplier.

There are many alternate suppliers but unless you are a heavy user on over 10kw tariff you will be on the government controlled TUR tariff which is the same for all the suppliers.

This may change soon when the TUR tariff is restricted to 3kw or less.

davidinspain Mar 15th 2011 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 9241133)
Other threads have already discussed this - use an independent electrician!

Is there really an 'opt-out' from Iberdrola (only Endessa, I guess?).

I am an electrician but getting info from them is like pulling teeth for instance when I called their office and asked if the ICP they require is single or double pole they/he said he didn´t know and when I asked what size they would require for 1650w the reply was 7 amp:) My neighbours all have a mixture of single and double pole (Leroy Merlin have a promotion on single pole).Just as an aside my 4 minute call to their 902 number downed my 5 euro saldo (on Movistar) Everything has got expensive very quickly:D

davidinspain Mar 15th 2011 4:49 pm

just been reading through a few other posts ref ICPs and minimum contracts......mine is for 1650w and has been since I bought the flat 10 years ago.After another call to Iberdrola they have told me to install a 10a breaker (they still can´t say if its single or double pole) which seems to have slightly up´d my contract;)
</IMG>

snikpoh Mar 15th 2011 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Daveinspain (Post 9241661)
just been reading through a few other posts ref ICPs and minimum contracts......mine is for 1650w and has been since I bought the flat 10 years ago.After another call to Iberdrola they have told me to install a 10a breaker (they still can´t say if its single or double pole) which seems to have slightly up´d my contract;)
</IMG>

1.65kW is very low. I seem to recall that the minimum now is around 3.45kW so it looks like an increase is in order anyway.

Rosemary Mar 15th 2011 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Daveinspain (Post 9241661)
</IMG>

Not really any help to you but I had to have one installed recently, and it is single pole.
As an aside the cost was €117.84 and the lovely Iberdrola people took this amount from my bank twice. Two phone calls and promises given but the money has not been replaced yet. Is anyone surprised.
Graham.

davidinspain Mar 16th 2011 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 9241698)
1.65kW is very low. I seem to recall that the minimum now is around 3.45kW so it looks like an increase is in order anyway.

Another 4€ phone call and indeed it is 1.65 kw the first Iberdrola agent told me a 10a ICP would be OK,lucky I called back because they require a 7.5 amp ICP and if I want to upgrade to the dizzy heights of 10a I'll need a new bollatin (certainly a rewire) and as i only use a few light (low energy) and the radio I think I'll pass;)