Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Another Driving Licence Question

Another Driving Licence Question

Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:52 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another Driving Licence Question

If someone decides it is too expensive to learn to drive (a car) in Spain, what is the process to take the test in England?

Scenario;

My son has taken and passed his moto test and so has the appropriate Spanish licence. If he were to go back to the UK, how could he take a car test?
  • Would he have to be resident there?
  • Would he have to apply for a UK provisional licence?
  • Would he have to convert his Spanish licence to do this? What UK licence would he get?
  • Once he has passed his UK driving test, what are the restrictions about driving in Spain or converting his Uk licence back to Spanish?

The situation is not so far fetched as it may sound. The problem is that he might go to UK to go to university and hopefully get a job in England. If he can't get a job then he will come back here again or go somewhere else.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Driving Licence Question

Originally Posted by snikpoh View Post
If someone decides it is too expensive to learn to drive (a car) in Spain, what is the process to take the test in England?

Scenario;

My son has taken and passed his moto test and so has the appropriate Spanish licence. If he were to go back to the UK, how could he take a car test?
  • Would he have to be resident there? yes
  • Would he have to apply for a UK provisional licence?yes
  • Would he have to convert his Spanish licence to do this? What UK licence would he get?he could just apply for a UK prov licence, his Spanish moto licence would not allow him to drive a car in the UK
  • Once he has passed his UK driving test, what are the restrictions about driving in Spain or converting his Uk licence back to Spanish?would think the same as for anyone wishing to convert a UK licence to a Spanish one

The situation is not so far fetched as it may sound. The problem is that he might go to UK to go to university and hopefully get a job in England. If he can't get a job then he will come back here again or go somewhere else.
comments are in red in the quote
Old Jul 16th 2013, 12:39 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

My concern was around his age and the number of years that he will have held his licence.

Clearly, he could drive in UK as soon as he's passed his test but is there a minimum age for driving in Spain? Does he have to have held his licence for 3 years before exchanging it or before driving here?
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Can I jump on this thread as well?

If you convert your UK license to Spanish does it cover everything on the license?

I have everything, that is.

Motorcycle
Car
HGV 1 (Articulated Trucks)
PCV (all buses,double deck, coaches etc)

I'll be pretty loathe to give up my UK licence if I lose the ability to drive the extra categories, who knows, I may want to become a trucky, there are plenty around us thats for sure!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 8:32 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you know that your UK license expires so check the date otherwise you will be driving illegally. If you register it to an address in the UK, that isn´t your home address, then you are breaking the law.

You can check that you can drive the other categories but make sure you do it before acceping the license. OH´s category to drive a motorbike was missed off when we transferred but we got it sorted out.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:03 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee View Post
Can I jump on this thread as well?

If you convert your UK license to Spanish does it cover everything on the license?

I have everything, that is.

Motorcycle
Car
HGV 1 (Articulated Trucks)
PCV (all buses,double deck, coaches etc)

I'll be pretty loathe to give up my UK licence if I lose the ability to drive the extra categories, who knows, I may want to become a trucky, there are plenty around us thats for sure!
Yes...............but !
Get a good gestor to manage the change for you as they will make copies of everything so if there is any mistake it is on record.
This is what I did & there was no issues (also class 1)
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh View Post
I hope you know that your UK license expires so check the date otherwise you will be driving illegally. If you register it to an address in the UK, that isn´t your home address, then you are breaking the law. .
If you are no longer resident in the UK and wish to use your UK licence in Spain you are able to do that subject to certain conditions.

The fact that it may still show a UK address that you no longer live at is perfectly acceptable to the DVLA and you are not breaking any law.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:41 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

If someone is domiciled here in Spain, then they can not go to another country, pass their test, return to Spain and exchange their licence to Spanish.

They have to be resident in the country they pass their test and there is a time limit for the return (from my all to often faulty memory)

Davexf
Old Jul 17th 2013, 9:38 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Dxf View Post
Hi

If someone is domiciled here in Spain, then they can not go to another country, pass their test, return to Spain and exchange their licence to Spanish.

They have to be resident in the country they pass their test and there is a time limit for the return (from my all to often faulty memory)

Davexf
Thanks.

By 'domiciled' I presume you mean 'living' or 'resident'?

But, in my scenario, if my son goes to University in England, then by definition he will be considered resident there.

I think the interesting point is your comment about there being a 'time limit'. I can't find anything about this on the interweb so any help would be appreciated (grey cells allowing).
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Under The EU directive 2006/126 on which all current driving licence laws are based it says

Article 7 Driving Licences shall only be issued to those applicants
1e who have their normal residence in the Member State issuing the licence, or can produce evidence that they have been studying there for at least 6 months.

When your son returns to Spain (assuming he does) then as far as I can see under the current rules, it just falls under the usual discussions we have. I.e after 185 days he has to either exchange it for a Spanish licence, or take the medical. It's a licence that was validity issued to him as a UK resident, and therefore is mutually recognised throughout the EU. Having said that, I gues he would want to exchange it.

In other words, the time limit is how long you have to live there before you can apply for a licence and take the test, not how long you must live there after taking it.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:54 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by CapnBilly View Post
Under The EU directive 2006/126 on which all current driving licence laws are based it says

Article 7 Driving Licences shall only be issued to those applicants
1e who have their normal residence in the Member State issuing the licence, or can produce evidence that they have been studying there for at least 6 months.

When your son returns to Spain (assuming he does) then as far as I can see under the current rules, it just falls under the usual discussions we have. I.e after 185 days he has to either exchange it for a Spanish licence, or take the medical. It's a licence that was validity issued to him as a UK resident, and therefore is mutually recognised throughout the EU. Having said that, I gues he would want to exchange it.

In other words, the time limit is how long you have to live there before you can apply for a licence and take the test, not how long you must live there after taking it.
Thanks.

There's no age limit then? So at say 21 he can drive a car over here (I must look this one up).
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:58 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It's 15 for motos, 16 for 125cc bikes and 18 for cars.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Unmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really nice

Originally Posted by playamonte View Post
Yes...............but !
Get a good gestor to manage the change for you as they will make copies of everything so if there is any mistake it is on record.
This is what I did & there was no issues (also class 1)
Very good advice!

I was paranoid about losing my bike entitlement....two friends had already had it happen to them through using smalltown "jobsworth" gestors....because they were cheap!

I've always used a guy in the city of Granada for all my business, and he is absolutely on the ball. Costs more.....but it's worth it!
Old Jul 18th 2013, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh View Post
I hope you know that your UK license expires so check the date otherwise you will be driving illegally. If you register it to an address in the UK, that isn´t your home address, then you are breaking the law.

You can check that you can drive the other categories but make sure you do it before acceping the license. OH´s category to drive a motorbike was missed off when we transferred but we got it sorted out.
Not strictly true. This was explained on one of the UK police programs of which there are many! The license doesn't expire, its the photograph that does.

just another way of the UK government making more money, you have to pay them for an updated photo to be put on it. Note however that they nowadays use your passport details and import the photo from that department, so make sure your passport photo is newer than your license photo. Otherwise you could be sending it off for renewal only to find it still has the same picture on it on return
Old Jul 18th 2013, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee View Post
Not strictly true. This was explained on one of the UK police programs of which there are many! The license doesn't expire, its the photograph that does.
If you want to be pedantic, the licence does expire but the eligibility to drive does not.

In Spain there is a big difference between driving without a license (potential prison term) and driving with an out of date license.