Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Another car thread, but important, so please read

Another car thread, but important, so please read

Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:03 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another car thread, but important, so please read

If you need to have any dealings with Trafico, then you now need a residency certificate unless you are already on their records. (Law passed in July 2007)

People buying a new car for the first time, or transferring ownership to you, then you must have a residency certificate, (came into being 1st Feb 2008)

Both items from the letters page of the CoastRider, and put there by companies dealing with car registrations.

Seems like the residency certificate is becoming an essential part of being here.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

CarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud of
Default Re: Another car thread, but important, so please read

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If you need to have any dealings with Trafico, then you now need a residency certificate unless you are already on their records. (Law passed in July 2007)

People buying a new car for the first time, or transferring ownership to you, then you must have a residency certificate, (came into being 1st Feb 2008)

Both items from the letters page of the CoastRider, and put there by companies dealing with car registrations.

Seems like the residency certificate is becoming an essential part of being here.
Does this apply to second hand motors as well ? Hope not. We are coming over for 5 days at end of April when we pick up keys to our rental and were hoping to buy a 2nd hand car at same time, so that it is all ready for us when we make the final move, by one way van hire, a couple of weeks later.
I'm sure that someone will know.
Tony
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Seems that no matter what the EU decree about not requiring a residency certificate to live in Spain, the Spanish government will always circumvent the law to make sure that a certificate must be obtained. In this instance its a case of you don't need to have a residency to live here, unless of course you want to buy a car.

Whichever way they package it they are still making sure that residency certificates are obligatory.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarolandTony
Does this apply to second hand motors as well ? Hope not. We are coming over for 5 days at end of April when we pick up keys to our rental and were hoping to buy a 2nd hand car at same time, so that it is all ready for us when we make the final move, by one way van hire, a couple of weeks later.
I'm sure that someone will know.
Tony
We bought our first second hand car in Spain, 2 weeks ago.
The seller actually asked before we went to see the car, whether we had an NIE number, because his gestor had advised him that without this, he shouldn't sell us the car.

We took along our NIEs and our Residencia certificates, but the seller was a little bit perturbed by the fact that we didn't have a Residency CARD!!!
We told him that the law had changed, and that cards were no longer being issued; it was just the certificate.
He phoned a relative who worked in some kind of administration job, who confirmed that our Residency certificates were valid - and then all was well, and he was prepared to sell it to us!

I don't know how much difficulty you will or won't have without the Residency certificate, I'm afraid.
Just thought I'd tell you our experience (as it was very recent) in case it helps you in any way??

All the very best for your trip, your search for a car and your one way journey over soon

Sam.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Seems that no matter what the EU decree about not requiring a residency certificate to live in Spain, the Spanish government will always circumvent the law to make sure that a certificate must be obtained. .

Absolute rubbish!!!

The EU laws quite clearly give member states the right to ask for registration.

Look here:-

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/nav/e...n.html#11324_5

You will see that they can ask for many things including proof of medical insurance - the Spanish no longer ask for this. The Spanish law on residency is nowhere near as restrictive as it could be if they followed the EU directive.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

sunlover27 is on a distinguished road

We bought a new car when we moved over in May, besides the NIE number we also had to provide the Escuturia before the garage would sell us the car
Old Feb 13th 2008, 7:01 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Seems that no matter what the EU decree about not requiring a residency certificate to live in Spain, the Spanish government will always circumvent the law to make sure that a certificate must be obtained. In this instance its a case of you don't need to have a residency to live here, unless of course you want to buy a car.

Whichever way they package it they are still making sure that residency certificates are obligatory.
You need to register in every EU country, but at different time limits apparently depending on country, even going into the UK if you are a from a different EU country.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 7:58 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The letters in question can be found here.
http://www.coastrider.net/letters.htm
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:27 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought mine with an NIE number. Ah well That was from a proper Seat Dealer. Second hand.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:44 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
I just bought mine with an NIE number. Ah well That was from a proper Seat Dealer. Second hand.
No money ? ,-))
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:00 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
No money ? ,-))
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:32 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Same Difference
You are making me bosseyed with the speed that you are changing your avatar. Saying that you are choosing some amusing ones.

Rosemary
Old Feb 13th 2008, 2:05 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
No money ? ,-))
haha! Yeah sadly I needed a bit of money as well.
What is amusing though is that no one has even ever mentioned a word to me about Road Tax.... hmm... 1 year old car, should I go get some?
Old Feb 13th 2008, 2:44 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Oddities
You are making me bosseyed with the speed that you are changing your avatar. Saying that you are choosing some amusing ones.

Rosemary
Thats because I have been looking at avatar pics this afternoon. I couldnt upload them before, but now I have ADSL theres no stopping me lol.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
haha! Yeah sadly I needed a bit of money as well.
What is amusing though is that no one has even ever mentioned a word to me about Road Tax.... hmm... 1 year old car, should I go get some?
You should have paper work regarding tax with your car ownership papers, check when it needs re doing as trafico very slow and you may not get renewal notice, normally March time each year, if you do not hear anything go to your local Town Hall, they have everything on computer regarding car tax, they will then issue you with paper work regarding renewal and you just take this to bank and pay it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.