British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Another Car Hire Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/another-car-hire-question-763092/)

bobd22 Jun 27th 2012 3:50 pm

Another Car Hire Question

Just a thought for later in the year.

Has anyone either hired a car from Malaga Airport or know if you can if not coming off a plane?

I ask because probably the cheapest means of hiring is through the trawler sites with collection direct from the Airport, just look at the difference in price even if you use such a site and put in Malaga Train Station for collection.

Later in the year I may be coming over for 6 weeks / 2 months with the wife coming over for a couple of weeks. I would only use a hire car for time the wife is over as able to use a bus otherwise. I hate having a car that I am paying say £14 per day for just sat doing nothing for days on end.

I know you can walk from the car park to the car hire collection point and from there through the security gate into the Car Hire area as I have had to go back through in the past to record damage on collection.

However can you do this to attend Car Hire area to collect car when not flying as I could do that and then meet my wife?? :confused:

missile Jun 27th 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Another Car Hire Question

I have never done it at Malaga, but I do know you can do it at a.n.other airport so I see no reason why you would not be able to do it there.

bobd22 Jun 27th 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks

missile Jun 27th 2012 4:47 pm

This is the company I would recommend > http://www.goldcar.es/en/

bobd22 Jun 27th 2012 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by missile (Post 10142558)
This is the company I would recommend > http://www.goldcar.es/en/

Missile thanks I have used a number of hire co's at Malaga Airport over the last 5 years, it is obviously a bit of a gamble with the trawler sites but so far the worst one I have been allocated is Record and the best by far has been automotive cars they take you off the airport to their place which is in the Ikea Car park underground garage. they are excellent. Unfortunately I have just booked through DoYouSpain for August and yes they allocated Record. You can request another one I did and they offered me Automotive but the cost was prohibitive so I said I would use Record but monitor the condition of the car and if not up to scratch demand a replacement will see what happens.
I have been allocated Goldcar in the past and they were good as well. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

missile Jun 27th 2012 6:20 pm

Cheapest is not always best.

Pleased to help, have a great holiday.

agoreira Jun 27th 2012 7:13 pm

We're regulars at Málaga Airport and I gave up using the onsite car rentals several years ago after horrendous queues, and use one 2 minutes away. So no reason why you shouldn't just do the deal online and turn up there.

jojojojojo Jun 27th 2012 8:32 pm

We always use malagacar.com. they're so cheap, they pick you up and drop you off.

Jo xxx

bobd22 Jun 27th 2012 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 10142808)
We're regulars at Málaga Airport and I gave up using the onsite car rentals several years ago after horrendous queues, and use one 2 minutes away. So no reason why you shouldn't just do the deal online and turn up there.

Who is that with is it with Malaga car as they are just off the airport. Jo I forgot about them have used them in the past and had a good experience. I do agree with missile that cheapest is not always the best.

jojojojojo Jun 27th 2012 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 10142971)
Who is that with is it with Malaga car as they are just off the airport. Jo I forgot about them have used them in the past and had a good experience. I do agree with missile that cheapest is not always the best.

No, but they are better than dearer ones I've heard of. I went to Nerja in one of their cars a few weeks ago. I was there for four days - the total bill was under 30€ and they didnt quibble about the fact the car only had 1/4 of a tank left! They did try to sell me extra insurance but I declined!! They picked me up from outside of the airport - they were there within 5 minutes and they drove me back there on my return

Jo xxx

bobd22 Jun 27th 2012 10:00 pm

Thanks for that

johnnyone Jun 28th 2012 7:07 am

Have you tried www.carjet.co.uk
They now list the provider before you book. I have used both carjet and doyouspain from Valencia without any problems.

bobd22 Jun 28th 2012 10:02 am

Originally Posted by johnnyone (Post 10143557)
Have you tried www.carjet.co.uk
They now list the provider before you book. I have used both carjet and doyouspain from Valencia without any problems.

Just looked at carjet yes looks a very good site very comprehensive information as you say including company used prior to booking. Thanks for that.

agoreira Jun 28th 2012 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 10143815)
Just looked at carjet yes looks a very good site very comprehensive information as you say including company used prior to booking. Thanks for that.

I used carjet for several years, (from Málaga) but after waiting in long queues, the last twice 45 minutes and an hour, I gave up on them and moved on. They used to be the cheapest, therefore attracted the biggest queues. I remember once we got in quite late at night, and there were dozens of us queuing down the ramp there, and on the stroke of midnight, like Cinderella, one of the two girls said that was her shift finished and left just one desk to handle us all. Nunca jamás! Most of them operate the full/empty fuel swindle, by the time you factor that in they aren't any cheaper. As I said, I haven't used them for several years so maybe things have changed, but I won't ever be using them again.

johnnyone Jun 28th 2012 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 10144013)
I used carjet for several years, (from Málaga) but after waiting in long queues, the last twice 45 minutes and an hour, I gave up on them and moved on. They used to be the cheapest, therefore attracted the biggest queues. I remember once we got in quite late at night, and there were dozens of us queuing down the ramp there, and on the stroke of midnight, like Cinderella, one of the two girls said that was her shift finished and left just one desk to handle us all. Nunca jamás! Most of them operate the full/empty fuel swindle, by the time you factor that in they aren't any cheaper. As I said, I haven't used them for several years so maybe things have changed, but I won't ever be using them again.

Are you sure it was carjet? As far as I am aware they are a broker not a provider.