British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Annual Travel Insurance from Spain ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/annual-travel-insurance-spain-741081/)

GrapeEater Dec 6th 2011 8:45 am

Annual Travel Insurance from Spain ??

I am looking for annual travel insurance for a couple from Spain to UK (Europe cover) - I suspect using MoneySuperMarket (Etc) will be for journeys starting in the UK so not valid.

Any advice or recommendations please?

SpanishAngel Dec 6th 2011 9:01 am

Re: Annual Travel Insurance from Spain ??

We recently used www.globelink.co.uk

GrapeEater Dec 6th 2011 10:14 am

Originally Posted by SpanishAngel (Post 9772948)
We recently used www.globelink.co.uk

Thanks. Have you had to make a claim yet?
You only find out how good they are when you make a claim... which happened to me in last years snow disruption.

Any other suggestions please?
Like to get this sorted today / tomorrow - you all must travel at some stage back to Good ol' Blighty or go on holiday, so who do you use ?

jackytoo Dec 6th 2011 10:28 am

We used a company in Gibraltar although we never made a claim. If you google there are lots of companies which insure ex-pats. I think Columbus may be one?

There are some spanish companies who do it but careful of the small print. We once took one out and later found in the small print that if you were over 50 you were required to get a certificate from your GP that you were fit to travel:confused:

SpanishAngel Dec 6th 2011 11:54 am

Originally Posted by GrapeEater (Post 9773038)
Thanks. Have you had to make a claim yet?

No.

Soapdish Dec 6th 2011 2:45 pm

I have always used Trailfinders...they are brilliant!! They can cover you for anywhere you want to travel, in Europe, USA or worldwide. They have different packages for different prices, for example I pay about 110 pounds for worldwide for the top end of the scale which is the gold star. My son had an accident playing football while we were on holiday in the USA and had to have an emergency knee op..they paid the whole amount with no problems!!! My whole family uses them for travel insurance and have done so for years..they are in based in London but I get cover from them even though I live here!!

bob_day Dec 6th 2011 6:51 pm

Had a search around for suitable annual travel insurance last year. Mostly you seem to have to be UK resident to qualify, or they didn't offer sufficient individual trip duration for our requirements.

In the end we went with an annual worldwide policy from Citybond with whom you could reside anywhere in europe. Renewal this year was £179 for worldwide up to 100 days per trip cover.

As yet haven't had to claim from them so they haven't undergone the acid test...

Soapdish Dec 7th 2011 9:55 am

You don´t have to be resident in the UK for Trailfinders either and I think they are quite reasonable pricewise.. 110 pounds worldwide for 1 year.. We´ve had no problems with them for any of our claims!

Mitzyboy Dec 7th 2011 10:01 am

Ive been using Globelink (as mentioned above) for several years now. Ive never made a claim though, its just that their cover v cost was good value for money. I have world cover, but you can choose not to include the USA etc

I think we paid £105 for world cover

Soapdish Dec 7th 2011 11:01 am

Just looked up the prices Trailfinders.. Its 119 pounds for Gold Policy and 99 pounds for the Silver policy and that´´s worldwide including USA! However, its only for people who are 66 years old and under.. after that according to your age group it goes up! They insure people up to the age of 75!
Hope that helps you out!!!

bob_day Dec 7th 2011 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Soapdish (Post 9775256)
You don´t have to be resident in the UK for Trailfinders either and I think they are quite reasonable pricewise.. 110 pounds worldwide for 1 year.. We´ve had no problems with them for any of our claims!

You're right you don't. But Their maximum trip duration was 70 days. No good for us going traveling for 2.5 months.

YMF Dec 7th 2011 1:54 pm

I have used 24Dr Travel Insurance before, never had to claim though so can't say how good they would be.

Soapdish Dec 7th 2011 11:03 pm

Bob, I remember travelling for 90 days at one time a few years back and I called them up to ask if it would be OK. I paid a little extra but they did cover me. If you don´t find anything, its worth giving them a bell!

RyanD Dec 12th 2011 11:02 am

We also used Globelink travel insurance.
We had to claim for a cancelled flight. They dealt with the claim very quickly and paid out without any problems.

Mitzyboy Dec 12th 2011 11:51 am

Originally Posted by RyanD (Post 9783546)
We also used Globelink travel insurance.
We had to claim for a cancelled flight. They dealt with the claim very quickly and paid out without any problems.

Thats encouraging to know. Ive been with them for 2 years and never had to claim, so I didnt know how they would perform