Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ANNUAL RESIDENT TAX? PLEASE HELP!

ANNUAL RESIDENT TAX? PLEASE HELP!

Old May 2nd 2008, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

jessi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ANNUAL RESIDENT TAX? PLEASE HELP!

Hiya all

Right my parents live in spain & have done for 4 years now. A neighbour of theirs has seen in one of the local paper an article about ANNUAL RESIDENT TAX. They are unsure if they have to pay it or not. I have looked on the internet & on this site but I am still unsure.

They have lived in spain 4 years. They have a house in the UK that they use about 3 times a year when visiting. It is not rented out at all. They retired to spain but are not as of yet at pension age for about another 2 years so they recieve no money from that yet. They do not work at all & live off thier savings.

We too are moving to spain in 2 weeks, we are working over there & are totally selling up in the uk but are renting for 6 months first, so I would like to know what applies to us also.

Any info would be great so I can tell them exactly what they need to do if it does apply to them. Hope someone can help.

Thanks x
Old May 2nd 2008, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: ANNUAL RESIDENT TAX? PLEASE HELP!

Anyone??
Old May 2nd 2008, 8:46 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If they live in Spain for more than 183 days in a calendar year they will be classed as tax resident in Spain. If so then they should be declaring their income and paying Spanish income tax on their world wide income.

If they are "living off their savings" then presumably they have the money invested and paying interest, so that income will be liable for tax in Spain.

You get personal allowances against tax in Spain just as you do in the UK but even if that means that no tax is payable because your income is low, you may still be obliged to fill in an annual tax declaration.
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Hiya
No thats like income tax in the UK . I am talking about resident tax or wealth tax. Not tax on the money you earn or on interest. Obviously that has to be declared. This is something different. Any one know. I noticed a thread on it today but I could do with a specific answer to my question as it was all abit confusing.
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:40 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Time for professional advice. There are specific investments you can have which are legal, but protect your investment from wealth tax.
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Apart from the fact that wealth tax has been abolished from this year, residents have generous allowances making many of them not liable for this tax.

The only other annual government tax is income tax which you have already been told about.
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:48 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

"Technically" they'd have to declare their worldwide assets which would include their UK home which may push them over the threshold...for this year's declaration at least.
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Hiya

Right yes you know what I mean then. I did read somewhere that it had been abolished but then I read it had not that's why I am confused & if not I was unsure who it applied to. I was reading alot about non residence paying the wealth tax due to most letting thier propertys out as holiday homes. Is that a deffinate on the abolishment then? Where did you find the info about it?

Many thanks
Jess
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Hiya Hillbilly

What do you mean by thier assets? Sorry I have no idea on this at all. Do you mean the value of thier properties?
If so can you explain another reply that the wealth tax has been abolised this year is that correct?

Cheers Jess
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:05 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not the tax expert on here! Have a look in the free beer thread at the top.
As tax residents in Spain, they are liable for wealth tax and have been ever since they became tax residents here. They are liable to pay wealth tax on all their worldwide assets ie all property etc. They should have been making an annual self assessment tax return every year since living here as tax residents. The return is made to Hacienda for the tax year just gone from 01 May until end June. ie. right now they should be making their return for the tax year 2007. As said by others, there is a generous threshold for residents on their main property so many people have no wealth tax to pay (it is recommended to make a nil declaration even if you know you have no tax to pay)...but, as I said above, with your parents also owning a UK home and this being part of their worldwide assets, it may push them over the threshold. All depends on the values of their homes!
Wealth tax has just been abolished (there is a previous thread on this) ie for this tax year, 2008, so no wealth tax to be paid NEXT year...although I don't think full details are yet known.
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Right that sounds just what I was after, will they have to go to the hacienda & declare the last 4 years? Any idea what the limit is? Sorry to appear dumb
Thanks alot for the info
Jess x
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:20 pm
Structural Surveyor

Have a look at http://www.spanish-taxes.co.uk/servi...sh-wealth-tax/
Re the last 4 years, sorry, don't know the answer, but I'm sure Fred will!
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

You are confusing too many things here.

Wealth tax has nothing to do with non-residents letting out their property. Non-residents pay notional income tax on their own use of the property. If they let the property they have to declare this separately.

Wealth tax is being abolished, income tax whether for residents or non-residents is not.

The announcement about wealth tax being abolished can be found here:

http://www.minhac.es/Portal/Prensa/E...+economico.htm
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Yes I know I am just going by what I have read. I am confused as I have read things that totally contradict what the other is saying. Income tax yes I know about that its just the wealth tax I wanted to know about.

I just thought I would ask here before reading anymore.

Cheers for your help
Jess
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Have a look at http://www.spanish-taxes.co.uk/servi...sh-wealth-tax/
Re the last 4 years, sorry, don't know the answer, but I'm sure Fred will!
Thanks you have been a great help its much appreciated.
Hope the weather is nice warm over there
Jess x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.