Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Animals staying overnight at vet!

Animals staying overnight at vet!

Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:36 am
Just Joined

smartypantz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Animals staying overnight at vet!

Hi there, I am new here, have searched quite a few other threads, however cannot seem to find what I am looking for, hope somebody can help.....

Does anybody know that if a vet takes your animal into care for the night for observation, does a vet or somebody have to be there by law? My dog was kept in like this and I assumed that as he was being kept in for observation, sombody would have been observing him? He died, when I asked why I was told that they came in the following morning and found him dead! I would NEVER have left him alone, and I believe that if somebody was there, they may well have been able to save him, or even if they couldn't have saved him, they could have prevented him suffering as he did, because the outcome was that he died of tracheal collapse.
Sorry if I have rambled on a bit, any advice gladly welcomed.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of
Default Re: Animals staying overnight at vet!

Originally Posted by smartypantz
Hi there, I am new here, have searched quite a few other threads, however cannot seem to find what I am looking for, hope somebody can help.....

Does anybody know that if a vet takes your animal into care for the night for observation, does a vet or somebody have to be there by law? My dog was kept in like this and I assumed that as he was being kept in for observation, sombody would have been observing him? He died, when I asked why I was told that they came in the following morning and found him dead! I would NEVER have left him alone, and I believe that if somebody was there, they may well have been able to save him, or even if they couldn't have saved him, they could have prevented him suffering as he did, because the outcome was that he died of tracheal collapse.
Hi

Sorry i dont know the answer as i have not dealt with vets in Spain.
However i would just like to say sorry for what happend to your dog i am sure someone on here will be able to give you the correct info. xxx
Old Sep 7th 2009, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Pavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by missbad
Hi

Sorry i dont know the answer as i have not dealt with vets in Spain.
However i would just like to say sorry for what happend to your dog i am sure someone on here will be able to give you the correct info. xxx
Hi There
I don't know the answer either, but I would like also to say that I am very sorry to hear of what happened. A terrible shock for you to have to cope with.
Best wishes
Pavlo
Old Sep 7th 2009, 6:59 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smartypantz

I too am very sorry to hear what happened to your dog - our 17 year old cat died a few weeks ago - and although it was expected it was still a shock

I wish I knew the answer to your question, but I'm afraid I don't - although I do agree that keeping him in for 'observation' with no-one there to 'observe' seems very odd
Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

What a horrible experience, my sympathies too. My cat´s been in and out of the vet´s for weeks with a spinal infection, also occasionally staying overnight & I have to admit to not really thinking anyone was going to be in during the night with the animals. In his case it was not likely anything was going to happen (he was in mainly because he refused medication from my bumbling hands but was literally a pussycat for the vet....) but you´ve raised a good point. Hope someone comes on with the answer.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 6:53 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
What a horrible experience, my sympathies too. My cat´s been in and out of the vet´s for weeks with a spinal infection, also occasionally staying overnight & I have to admit to not really thinking anyone was going to be in during the night with the animals. In his case it was not likely anything was going to happen (he was in mainly because he refused medication from my bumbling hands but was literally a pussycat for the vet....) but you´ve raised a good point. Hope someone comes on with the answer.

Cant say for sure,but I think it will depend mainly on the size of the practice and numbers of qualified vets involved.
I think a small practice with no more than two vets will be unlikely to provide such cover.
However the larger practices with lots of staff are often also classed as animal hospitals and normally do provide night-time cover.