Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Angels, Crystals and Auras, oh my!

Angels, Crystals and Auras, oh my!

Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:18 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Angels, Crystals and Auras, oh my!

What a load of bullshitting wankers
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:19 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I've read some Orwell - can you tell me what works you are referring to on this - I can't think of a Dawkins-like character or experience, but it has been some time since I read his works.
The nearest I can think is Orwell himself with the POUM, with the republicans fighting all things fascist and reactionary, including the church.

Aniaml Farm had a character Moses who represented the church, in a not very favorable light. The pigs tried to be rid of him, but they came around in the end and used him in a similar way that the farmer had.

Still thinking of what HBG is refering too, it cant be these examples.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:30 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I know someone who adopted a child from an orphenage from a 3rd world country. And believe me, you cannot raise a child without constant human attention.

I have read Orwell and Huxley, but the difference is they are fiction, Dawkins is fact! Big difference!

And science without philosophy is extremely dangerous, they go hand-in-hand
If you’ve read Orwell and Huxley, I’m on your side. Philosophers? Par excellence. Science and philosophy? I’m wavering.

Where is philosophy involved in the repetitive spouting out of boring facts that are so obvious they should never see the light of day?

Doesn’t philosophy question the boring classes?

I must admit I’m not sure of my argument. God knows what the philosophers will make of the experiment in Switzerland to find the ‘God’ particle? Most of them already accept the Big Bang rather than God, but the absolute proof has never been established.

I suspect it will be bad news for everyone. But it will be a long time before bible burning starts seriously, if ever.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:39 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Dawkins's cynicism. I take it he's a cynic because he doesn't believe in the easter bunny?
It's a little bit deeper than that, Bil.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:05 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
It's a little bit deeper than that, Bil.
Elucidate please. Not taking the whatsit, I am curious. Me, I see Dawkins as someone basically trying to find out what makes things tick. He's putting forward ideas as to why things are the way they are. I don't see cynicism in that. More the idea like so many that cynicism is an English irregular verb.

I am thoughtful
you are questioning
he is a cynic.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:08 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
If you’ve read Orwell and Huxley, I’m on your side. Philosophers? Par excellence. Science and philosophy? I’m wavering.

Where is philosophy involved in the repetitive spouting out of boring facts that are so obvious they should never see the light of day?

Doesn’t philosophy question the boring classes?

I must admit I’m not sure of my argument. God knows what the philosophers will make of the experiment in Switzerland to find the ‘God’ particle? Most of them already accept the Big Bang rather than God, but the absolute proof has never been established.

I suspect it will be bad news for everyone. But it will be a long time before bible burning starts seriously, if ever.
I have read both. I found Orwell's 1984 horrific, animal farm far truer than I liked, and Homage to Catalunya profoundly moving.

The god particle is a tongue in cheek name for the Higgs boson.

How can you have absolute proof of the big bang, since none of us could actually observe the event?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:09 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jackytoo
What's this, another insightful remark? Do go on....
Old Sep 15th 2010, 10:04 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bil
I have read both. I found Orwell's 1984 horrific, animal farm far truer than I liked, and Homage to Catalunya profoundly moving.

The god particle is a tongue in cheek name for the Higgs boson.

How can you have absolute proof of the big bang, since none of us could actually observe the event?
That’s exactly why I despair at the inconvincible scientific mindset, they don’t believe because none of them were there 13.6 billion years ago. It’s worse than a belief in Santa Claus, the silly disbelief.

They salivate when explaining in great detail that you can start a fire by rubbing two sticks together, they think it’s a great wonder to point out that the earth is round.

I would rather pontificate on whether there is a such a thing as ghosts, than listen to something the thickest among us know to be true.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 10:08 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
That’s exactly why I despair at the inconvincible scientific mindset, they don’t believe because none of them were there 13.6 billion years ago. It’s worse than a belief in Santa Claus, the silly disbelief.

They salivate when explaining in great detail that you can start a fire by rubbing two sticks together, they think it’s a great wonder to point out that the earth is round.

I would rather pontificate on whether there is a such a thing as ghosts, than listen to something the thickest among us know to be true.
Oh c'mon. They don't KNOW what happened, but there are many theories as to what happened. It's not a question of belief, it's a question of which theory best fits the evidence.

Oh yeah, and the world isn't round. It's an oblate spheroid, so yah boo sucks ;-)

Ghosts, well, when I see one, I'll let you know. Till then, the jury is out.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
¡No te cortes! Tell us what you really think! Reminds me a bit of "Pseud´s Corner!"
Old Sep 16th 2010, 10:35 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Anyone else think they have entered some kind of parallel universe when reading this thread?
Yeah, but my P U is slightly behind in time, cos I am 67 in a months time and just done a teenage thing, I have just gone out and bought a moto.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:21 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
Yeah, but my P U is slightly behind in time, cos I am 67 in a months time and just done a teenage thing, I have just gone out and bought a moto.

Boooorrnnnn to be mild!