Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Andalucian Dialect

The Andalucian Dialect

Old Feb 27th 2012, 9:12 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Andalucian Dialect

Originally Posted by cricketman
Where you choose to visit is up to you.

However, it isnt really the café workers fault that your Spanish isnt very good. The responsibility lies with you.

It took a month for my wife to understand anybody when she went to Uni in Sheffield as she wasnt used to the accents. The locals made no effort to speak the Queens English to the foreign girl and neither should they have done.
I have to disagree with you on this. They do not only have accents they have a different language too.

My MIL from Sheffield could not comprehend why my grandson from Cornwall did not understand her when she was saying "agin you" to him meaning beside you. She even did the classic of saying it louder and louder but that did not work so in the end my OH translated for him.

Rosemary
Old Feb 27th 2012, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I have to disagree with you on this. They do not only have accents they have a different language too.

My MIL from Sheffield could not comprehend why my grandson from Cornwall did not understand her when she was saying "agin you" to him meaning beside you. She even did the classic of saying it louder and louder but that did not work so in the end my OH translated for him.

Rosemary
Yes I should have said accent and dialect

My wife was studying English philology, so she found it fascinating

As for Domino, so what are you suggesting? That the people in the bar were deliberately not understanding you? I hear that quite a lot from people learning Spanish and is a completely bizarre argument. Why would someone not want to understand you when they would like to keep you business?

And Coca Cola is said quite differently in Spain compared to the UK. If you can't hear that then your Spanish must be terrible
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:00 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I should have said accent and dialect

My wife was studying English philology, so she found it fascinating

As for Domino, so what are you suggesting? That the people in the bar were deliberately not understanding you? I hear that quite a lot from people learning Spanish and is a completely bizarre argument. Why would someone not want to understand you when they would like to keep you business?

And Coca Cola is said quite differently in Spain compared to the UK. If you can't hear that then your Spanish must be terrible
to prove your bigoted and one side conversation you select a half sentence and try to find a hole - doesnt work.

and as to the Home of Steel, it used to be very in-bred, has many local words and abbreviated words, it is only in fairly recent decades that it has become more cosmopolitan. on my first visit I kept hearing words that made no sense whatsoever, exactly as stated by Rosemary.

must go now to conjugate my verbs, it will help me to understand spoken Spanish much much easier
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
and as to the Home of Steel, it used to be very in-bred, has many local words and abbreviated words, it is only in fairly recent decades that it has become more cosmopolitan. on my first visit I kept hearing words that made no sense whatsoever, exactly as stated by Rosemary.

Why is having a dialect in-bred?

People in Granada arent going to change their way if speaking just so you can understand them

Spain is full of dialects and local languages. It is what makes the country so culturally rich
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:19 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Why is having a dialect in-bred?

People in Granada arent going to change their way if speaking just so you can understand them

Spain is full of dialects and local languages. It is what makes the country so culturally rich

where did I say that ??

cricket man speak with forked tongue - again.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
Yes, everyone has accents. People from hereabouts can tell which pueblo you come from, by accent, some vocabulary and even some physiognomy. Some years back, we were in the campo talking to some old bird who said 'you're not from around here (pause) you must be from Los Gallardos',
Los Gallardos being, at 15kms, the furthest place she could think of.
Our kids speak local mojaquero as necessary, but wouldn't dream of using it elsewhere.
Don't learn the local Spanish, learn proper castellano!
It's just the same in many areas of the UK. I'm a Lancastrian and can tell immediately which towns or areas within Lancashire people are from by their accents. As for dialects, I remember going out in my home town with a friend from college (in a town about 15 miles away) and having to translate for her as she couldn't understand a word people were saying!

I have real problems understanding my neighbours in Velez-Malaga, they have a very strong accent. I was in Granada a couple of weeks ago (the city) and found people very easy to understand by comparison!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

where did I say that ??

cricket man speak with forked tongue - again.
You obviously have a problem communicating in any language.. I quote

"as to the Home of Steel, it used to be very in-bred, has many local words and abbreviated words, it is only in fairly recent decades that it has become more cosmopolitan"

So, you say Sheffiled used to be "very in-bred" and then directly afterwards as part of the same sentence say it has "many local words and abbreviated words"

So obviously you are equating having local words with being in-bred. If not then you should think more carefully before writing!

Old Feb 27th 2012, 1:25 pm

You obviously have a problem communicating in any language.. I quote

"as to the Home of Steel, it used to be very in-bred, has many local words and abbreviated words, it is only in fairly recent decades that it has become more cosmopolitan"

So, you say Sheffiled used to be "very in-bred" and then directly afterwards as part of the same sentence say it has "many local words and abbreviated words"

So obviously you are equating having local words with being in-bred. If not then you should think more carefully before writing!
Richard Head
you have a serious serious problem

you have take what should be a reasonable discussion totally off thread and into a personal campaign that I am no longer willing to accept
therefore I am awarding you the Ignore Button

caio bambino
Old Feb 27th 2012, 5:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

OK you two - tranquillo - please!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Richard Head
you have a serious serious problem

you have take what should be a reasonable discussion totally off thread and into a personal campaign that I am no longer willing to accept
therefore I am awarding you the Ignore Button

caio bambino
If your Spanish is as good as your Italian, no wonder they can't understand you.

Ciao!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 6:07 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
OK you two - tranquillo - please!
We seem to be having a few Italian and Spanish problems this evening......
Old Feb 27th 2012, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

What is it with Coca Cola? I (thought I) knew how to say Cola or Colalai (my son & OH prefer Cola Light) and actually most people seem to think my accent ain't half bad......vocabulary and verbally challenged but accent ok........ but would I like to admit to the number of times I've ordered that particular drink in Andalucia and had a blank stare in response? Not b likely.
I drink nube when it comes to coffee.. an andaluz (specifically, I believe, more Malagueno thing to identify one's taste in coffee. I say it pretty fast, pretty Andaluz, usually get understood. My OH tried hard to say it the same and almost always gets the blank stare.
I think it's the Andaluz equation. Whatever tf that might be!!!

Oh, and as for Yorkshire, anyone who can't identify at least four varieties hasn't been trying!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 9:48 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

The Coca Cola problem exists in the UK too
I used to own a pub dahn sarf and one night a customer from oop north asked for a "cork" (at least that's what it sounded like to my confuddled barman who obligingly produced a cork for the customer...)
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:33 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I was asked for a Cork and Arse the other day.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:39 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
The Coca Cola problem exists in the UK too
I used to own a pub dahn sarf and one night a customer from oop north asked for a "cork" (at least that's what it sounded like to my confuddled barman who obligingly produced a cork for the customer...)
Four candles, anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.