Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Andalucia Bird-watching

Andalucia Bird-watching

Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Piran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Andalucia Bird-watching

I couldn't find a suitable thread for my post, which is about birds.
I'm not a dedicated bird-watcher but in the evenings I keep by binoculars next to my tipple as I relax, to see what's about.
Sunday we saw an amazing sight, a Lammergeier flying over the forests which rise above Alcaucin, Axarquia. Thes birds are instantly recognisable from other birds-of-prey from their colouring and shape. We are used to two or three varieties of Eagle and of course Griffon Vultures.
According to the books, Lammergeiers are only resident in the Pyrenees, S. France and the Middle east so a really exciting event for us.
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has seen these birds?
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andalucia Bird-watching

I am very envious as I have never seen a lammergeier. I am surrounded by griffon vultures and see the occasional black vulture, even alimoches (Egyptian vultures?) but not one of these beauties.

He is called quebrantahueso in Spanish, which means bone-cruncher. Very appropriate!

Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Not unusual, given that they have been breeding them in Cazorla, Andalucia and four have been released, you probably saw one of them, 'Tono', 'Hortelano', 'Blimunda' or 'Huéscar'! It seems the last one died in Andalucia 20 years ago.
http://www.europapress.es/andalucia/...204115442.html

Edit. Seems more were released earlier.
They report that 10 out of 14 bearded vultures that where reintroduced in Andalusia over the past 4 years are developing well.
http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/...andalucia.html

Last edited by agoreira; Jul 17th 2012 at 11:01 am.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't want to leave the baby outside when one of those things was around.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Piran is an unknown quantity at this point

The bird we saw differed markedly from the photo above. This bird had totally jet-black wings, top and underneath. The only colour apart from black was the body, and head, which from underneath was a light, possibly buff colour.
The other very different feature was the shape of the wings, which tapered significantly and were much more narrow than say a Griffon Vulture, also they were possibly slightly forward-pointing.
I assume this was a young bird to account for the colour differences from the photo but would invite comment.

Last edited by Piran; Jul 17th 2012 at 12:35 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 17th 2012, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen the Internet Bird Collection website? It has lots of photos and videos of lammergeiers and all the birds you can think of, showing all the variations that occur with age and time of year. It even has sound clips! A really useful resource.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Have you seen the Internet Bird Collection website? It has lots of photos and videos of lammergeiers and all the birds you can think of, showing all the variations that occur with age and time of year. It even has sound clips! A really useful resource.
Nice video of the Cazorla setup here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4wZ17IztAQE
Old Jul 17th 2012, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by agoreira
Nice video of the Cazorla setup here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4wZ17IztAQE
Thanks, I enjoyed that. So important that the next generation has a real appreciation of wildlife, and not just as stuff to shoot at.