Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Am I ok to fly to Malaga from UK on Dec 24th?

Am I ok to fly to Malaga from UK on Dec 24th?

Old Dec 15th 2020, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

EUAdz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I ok to fly to Malaga from UK on Dec 24th?

Hello Forum Friends,
My wife and I have a flight booked from Manchester to Malaga early on 24th Dec. Our PCR tests have been arranged to match up with this date. We plan to book accommodation in Malaga for a month immediately after confirmation is received that the test results are negative.
My understanding is that we are ok to travel to Malaga under current rules in accordance with the exemption of the Non-Essential Travel restrictions granted to EU Citizens, but aware that this provision will expire along with the end of the Transition Period on 31 December.
However, after researching the current phased travel restrictions that will apply in Malaga between now and Jan 06, I'm concerned we may be at worst illegal, and at best unwelcome and possibly open to some difficult questions on our arrival and when booking subsequent accommodation after 1 Jan 2021? Our plan is to stay for 3 months in total and we do not have any family or friends in Spain.
Before we commit to any further expense I would appreciate advice / thoughts of others here?
Many Thanks
Old Dec 16th 2020, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I ok to fly to Malaga from UK on Dec 24th?

We have customers arriving daily (i work at the airport) but 99% of them have a house here.

have a great trip !
Old Dec 16th 2020, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

You can still come as long as you have the PCR test and complete the online form, although I'm pretty sure you must have the accommodation pre-booked. That said, my son was not asked for his PCR results in Madrid or Valencia on Monday, he just flashed the QR code and breezed through. I find Kayak have the most up to date global information in an easy to understand format:
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Travel Restrictions for Spain (kayak.com)
Old Dec 16th 2020, 7:15 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

In a Tier 3, you should avoid travelling outside of your area. If you do need to travel abroad see the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office Travel Advice for your destination and the travel corridors list.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

The border officials may ask to see proof of accommodation and sufficient funds for the duration of your visit. You will also need health insurance as EHICs will no longer be valid.
Beyond that it will depend on health restrictions.
Why do you want to do this? How much fun do you expect to have, locked down in Spain? Wouldn't it be better to delay your trip until the worst is over?
Old Dec 16th 2020, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply - much appreciated
Old Dec 16th 2020, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

trythallj is an unknown quantity at this point

Note of caution. How is your PCR test organised? Looks like my wife will not be able to join me for Christmas because her sample is sat in a sorting office with all the other Christmas mail. This is with Assured Screening. Would recommend to anyone who can to avoid anything involving the post at the moment.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks trythallj

We are using a local clinic that guarantees that guarantees a 24hr turnaround for PCR test (at a price!), emailing the Certificates to us so hopefully we will be ok?

Hope things work out for you - Good Luck
Old Dec 18th 2020, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

trythallj is an unknown quantity at this point

And the same to you! I am suspicious that Assured Screening have been selling tests when they knew that there was a very good chance that they would be held up in the mail. Interested to know if anyone else has had dealings with them. I will report back on the outcome on Tuesday. Janet reports today that the sample has still not arrived at the lab!

John
Old Dec 21st 2020, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

oh well nobody is flying now...

https://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/20...do-manana.html (published at 16.30 on the 21.12)
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

... and for us that's the 3rd time this year we have been forced to cancel our travel to Spain! Fortunately we held off on booking any accommodation and managed to get a full refund on the PCR tests we no longer needed. Not sure it's going to be as easy with Ryanair though....?
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Update on travel to Spain from the UK:
We know that lots of you will have questions about the restrictions on travel reported in the press since yesterday. The Spanish Government has announced they will be restricting passenger travel on inbound flights from the UK from Tuesday 22 December, with the exception of Spanish nationals and those legally resident in Spain. If you were due to travel to Spain we advise you to contact your travel operator before departure.
If you are a resident in Spain, you should carry your residence document (the green paper EU residence certificate or the new TIE), as well as your valid passport when you travel.
For the latest information, please sign up for alerts to: www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain so that you are kept updated of any changes.
Old Dec 26th 2020, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Talking Re: Am I ok to fly to Malaga from UK on Dec 24th?

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Why do you want to do this? How much fun do you expect to have, locked down in Spain? Wouldn't it be better to delay your trip until the worst is over?
If i were on my own, and had a place to go to in spain, i´d much rather be "locked down" in 20 degrees looking at the sea and the mountains from my apartments balcony / the terrace of my campo house ... than hiding in my terraced house with the central heating on, hiding out of the rain and the snow?

I totally understand our customers that come from denmark and sweden and other northern european countries where its -5 degrees and dark and snowing for a month... they come here and drive around in convertables in anything more than 15 degrees
Old Dec 26th 2020, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely agree with BFG69BUG. Sitting here in Andalusia at 9.45am looking out over the sea, clear blue sky albeit with a slightly chilly breeze I know where I would rather be.

I suppose it might all depend on the definition of what having 'fun' is. If having fun is unrestricted movement to various bars/ restaurants available beach sunbeds etc then a holiday might be considered a waste of money. As residents we have adapted to what bars/restaurants are open and still find great food in lovely surroundings at relatively little cost. It is true to say there may be less choice in January and February as these months are usually quiet.

As far as the virus stuff is concerned I feel safe and secure, following the government guidelines as indeed pretty much all the people out and about in town etc do.
Old Dec 26th 2020, 8:43 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

The grass is always greener

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.