Reload this Page >

Am I breaking any law?

Am I breaking any law?

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Mookster will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
Yeah, there are forums for everything. Even ones for people that live in England who want to fantasize about being expats.
Touche
I nearly wet myself with laughter when i read that.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, there are forums for everything. Even ones for people that live in England who want to fantasize about being expats.
Originally Posted by Mookster
Touche

Wood smokes the same in the UK as it does in Spain, so what´s the problem ?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:36 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jdr
Wood smokes the same in the UK as it does in Spain, so what´s the problem ?
There will always be those who are stuck in a timewarp when it comes to modern technology.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

There will always be those who are stuck in a timewarp when it comes to modern technology.
But he probably knows more about the technology of burning wood than others.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:44 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jdr
But he probably knows more about the technology of burning wood than others.
If that were true would would he talk such utter rubbish?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
You would have to think about the cost effectiveness of this. Towing a trailer full of wood is going to affect your mpg and on such a long journey.
Also from my personal experience both the woods you are talking about are not the best to burn as they are very oily and tend to tar things up.
I am travelling from Bilbao - which seeing as I live in Galicia is "just down the road" and when I arrive in Portsmouth it is a 20min drive. Therefore I am driving a little distance. And as people have already said the wood needs to be seasoned. We have had a woodburner here for three years and so long as you leave the pine to dry out for a year you have no problems. Pine cones are also excellent for burning as well.

Also last night I emailed Customs asking for clarification concerning exporting firewood to the UK - once I have a reply I will let you know. Bet you all cannot wait!

At the end of the day the wood is free, I can take about 2.5 tonne back in my trailer, extra petrol costs will be negligible, the cost of the taking the trailer back to the UK is zero as I am taking it back anyway.

A question for Rugbymatt - do you have any idea of how much 2.5 tonne of seasoned firewood is in the UK?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:19 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mookster
Touche
Firstly, as someone who didn't come to this country until he was in his late teens and only stayed long enough to be at school I find that a little ironic and not really relevant to the discussion at all. I was living in the middle east when you two, and all the other twats were squeezing your spots in the mirror in the hope that the local bike would give you your first touch of the pink.... Think I am being a little over aggressive? Tough, all these little snide comments that keep coming deserve to be responded to, if you are brave enough to type them from the safety of your keyboard I will just keep replying....

Secondly, its not just moisture content that makes wood smoke, its also the quantity of tannins, essential oils, volatile oils, tar content and about half a dozen other factors, and thats from my own brain, NOT wikipedia. Moisture content, if thats what we are discussing, can be no more than 20-30% to make it BURNABLE, but no less than 10% or it will combust too fast, that means that wood that won't dry to the desired 20-30% will ultimately be useless for firewood.

That said not all wood needs to be dried to burn well, in fact Ash burns at a much higher BTU wet than dry, because it loses moisture too fast if stored for any length of time yet few woods burn with a higher BTU than Ash, and there is almost NO smoke from Ash, so thats your cereal packet wikipedia reliant theory blown out of the water genius!

Its about time this forum started to realise that its purpose is to help, inform and assist! The amount of ego engorged twats on here shocks me, and every day I read more and more pricks taking cheap shots at posters, there was a time when we all contributed in a positive, constructive way, now its just full of bickering twunts!

I would say I will leave because I've had enough, but staying here and irritating you all will bring me much more pleasure!
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:21 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by battlezone123
A question for Rugbymatt - do you have any idea of how much 2.5 tonne of seasoned firewood is in the UK?
I can tell you what I charge, for a level flat bed trailer of seasoned split hardwood or green ash I charge £50... its an 8x4 Ifor Williams trailer and I would guess, and its just a guess, its about 750 weight.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
You would have to think about the cost effectiveness of this. Towing a trailer full of wood is going to affect your mpg and on such a long journey.
Also from my personal experience both the woods you are talking about are not the best to burn as they are very oily and tend to tar things up.
I am travelling from Bilbao - which seeing as I live in Galicia is "just down the road" and when I arrive in Portsmouth it is a 20min drive. Therefore I am driving a little distance. And as people have already said the wood needs to be seasoned. We have had a woodburner here for three years and so long as you leave the pine to dry out for a year you have no problems. Pine cones are also excellent for burning as well.

Also last night I emailed Customs asking for clarification concerning exporting firewood to the UK - once I have a reply I will let you know. Bet you all cannot wait!

At the end of the day the wood is free, I can take about 2.5 tonne back in my trailer, extra petrol costs will be negligible, the cost of the taking the trailer back to the UK is zero as I am taking it back anyway.

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:25 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Ahhhhh wonderful, a forum to talk about ...... wood

I find when my wood is hard and starts to burn, is usually time to apply some lubricant before you get too many complaints.

KY lube allows you to retain your wood, stops burning, but can produce too much smoke if your not careful.

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I can tell you what I charge, for a level flat bed trailer of seasoned split hardwood or green ash I charge £50... its an 8x4 Ifor Williams trailer and I would guess, and its just a guess, its about 750 weight.
Our trailer is 3 metres with a cage and can carry 2.5 tonne.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:34 pm
Straw Man.

Our trailer is 3 metres with a cage and can carry 2.5 tonne.
I personally wouldn't load it up more than a third high, it makes it a little unstable, but each to their own. If you were to get split seasoned stuff then for a trailer that size I would charge somewhere around £150- 175.

Again, thats me, just me, I live in the middle of the countryside and there is a plentiful supply of timber, if you were in the city it may well be more, and it completely depends on what you but.

What I always tell people though is to check the load, make sure it is all hardwoods of burnable quality, I have seen loads delivered to houses with a high percentage of birch and cedar in, both will burn bright but deliver little or no heat.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:05 pm
Straw Man.

Battlezone I will say, the HMRC website and the new booklet states that you can only take 5 pieces of wood back with you, so while it sounds a great idea you won't be allowed. I will however be interested to hear what they have to say as its rarely the same advice more than twice!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

If that were true would would he talk such utter rubbish?
Oooops, I think he has just explained it to you in post 37.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Cheaper than most places in Spain.