Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Am I breaking any law?

Am I breaking any law?

Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I think RM was asked if he knew about the importation of wood into the UK, and he was stating what was allowed, i.e. the wood has to be stripped of bark, or at least I think thats it
So the Op who wanted to bring in a trailer load ... well ... can't!
heh.. I've *had* my two coffees; I got that much. I just wondered why five pieces would be allowed.. why not zero, or all?
Who needs to import 5 sticks of firewood?

edit: sorry, re-reading, I wasn't very clear the first time myself. Must've only been 1 & 1/2 cups in.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:57 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Someone asked what the regulations were so I replied, the advice comes from HRMC, Defra has little to do with it aside from an advisory role.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Someone asked what the regulations were so I replied, the advice comes from HRMC, Defra has little to do with it aside from an advisory role.
Sorry but I am showing my ignorance here - who are HRMC?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:35 am
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by battlezone123
Sorry but I am showing my ignorance here - who are HRMC?

Errrmm - I think that was just a typo & should be HMRC - HM Revenue & Customs

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 6:23 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lunacrout
Errrmm - I think that was just a typo & should be HMRC - HM Revenue & Customs

Bingo...
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

You would have to think about the cost effectiveness of this. Towing a trailer full of wood is going to affect your mpg and on such a long journey.
Also from my personal experience both the woods you are talking about are not the best to burn as they are very oily and tend to tar things up.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:18 am
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
from my personal experience both the woods you are talking about are not the best to burn as they are very oily and tend to tar things up.
Your wood was not properly seasoned. It needs to be cut and split for at least a year before it is burned. I burn both of those without any sticky mess or any sign of smoke from the stack. In fact they are brilliant shoulder season woods as they are light, and burn fast and short.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
I burn both of those without any sticky mess or any sign of smoke from the stack.
Smokeless wood?
Wood burning is not all about the wood, it also depends on the type of burner, flue installation and position as to how the wood burns. This will make a difference with these oily woods,seasoned or not.
In my own experience.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:47 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Smokeless wood?
Wood burning is not all about the wood, it also depends on the type of burner, flue installation and position as to how the wood burns. This will make a difference with these oily woods,seasoned or not.
In my own experience.
If you've got smoke you have either got unseasoned wood or a crap stove without a refractory liner and double combustion. Either way you are wasting lots of fuel.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:52 pm
Straw Man.

If you've got smoke you have either got unseasoned wood or a crap stove without a refractory liner and double combustion. Either way you are wasting lots of fuel.
Lots of wood smokes heavily seasoned or not.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 4:07 pm
Banned

Lots of wood smokes heavily seasoned or not.
I'll stick to my guns here. If you wood is seasoned and you burn it in a decent stove it won't smoke. If you have green wood and a smoke dragon then you'll make lots of smoke and waste lots of wood. If you want to argue the point join hearth.com and read the thousands of threads there about smoke and how a stove operated properly doesn't produce any.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 4:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stick to my guns here. If you wood is seasoned and you burn it in a decent stove it won't smoke. If you have green wood and a smoke dragon then you'll make lots of smoke and waste lots of wood. If you want to argue the point join hearth.com and read the thousands of threads there about smoke and how a stove operated properly doesn't produce any.
Ahhhhh wonderful, a forum to talk about ...... wood
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 4:14 pm
Straw Man.

So a high resin wood will smoke no more than say a seasoned chestnut right?

Nope, not even possible, and some wood just wont season, take black alder for example, it retains its moisture content regardless, and Eucalyptus is so high in essential oils (which by the way are a preservative) that it also smokes like a bitch...
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 5:32 pm
Banned

some wood just wont season
Every wood if cut, split and stacked properly will season to 20% m.c. After that if it smokes it's because the stove is poop.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 5:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Ahhhhh wonderful, a forum to talk about ...... wood
Yeah, there are forums for everything. Even ones for people that live in England who want to fantasize about being expats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.