Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Am I breaking any law?

Am I breaking any law?

Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Am I breaking any law?

My father has just had a woodburner installed in his home in the UK. We are going back to the UK for a few days just before Xmas and we are taking our trailer which will be empty on the way out.

He has asked us to bring some wood for his fire in our trailer. Because of the hurricane earlier this year there are fallen trees everywhere on the ground and the locals have said to us to help ourselves otherwise it will rot. Will I be breaking any rules by bringing this wood back into the UK? It will be mostly pine and eucalyptus. Our trailer holds about 2.5 tonnes therefore we plan to fill it up for him as it will save him alot of money.

Does anyone foresee any problems for us at customs? Thanks.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

I would imagine the biggest problem would be pest control, therefore the answer probably lies with the Ministry of Agriculture ( or whatever it is now called )
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:11 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by battlezone123
My father has just had a woodburner installed in his home in the UK. We are going back to the UK for a few days just before Xmas and we are taking our trailer which will be empty on the way out.

He has asked us to bring some wood for his fire in our trailer. Because of the hurricane earlier this year there are fallen trees everywhere on the ground and the locals have said to us to help ourselves otherwise it will rot. Will I be breaking any rules by bringing this wood back into the UK? It will be mostly pine and eucalyptus. Our trailer holds about 2.5 tonnes therefore we plan to fill it up for him as it will save him alot of money.

The phrase ' coals to Newcastle' springs to mind. Can't see a problem though.

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I would imagine the biggest problem would be pest control, therefore the answer probably lies with the Ministry of Agriculture ( or whatever it is now called )
I don't think they mind as it's coming from Europe
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's definitely something that you need to check out officially before you start loading up - you don't want all your effort to be wasted if, for some reason, it's confiscated at immigration.

(I wish we were near Galicia - we could do with plenty of firewood for the forthcoming winter where we are )

Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:29 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you need the trailer to use on your return leg? If it's only to transport the wood, have you worked out the cost of taking the trailer on the ferry and extra fuel you will burn pulling it?

It might be a lot less hassle buying wood in the UK
Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Maybe you need the trailer to use on your return leg? If it's only to transport the wood, have you worked out the cost of taking the trailer on the ferry and extra fuel you will burn pulling it?

It might be a lot less hassle buying wood in the UK
We are using the trailer to stock up for our return to Spain.

Wood is about £5.00 for a small bag where my father lives. The wood is "free" here because of the storms at the beginning of the year.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:41 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I'm in complete agreement with Fredbargate, I'd check this out with customs before you go.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
I'm in complete agreement with Fredbargate, I'd check this out with customs before you go.
Totally with you on that, I believe all wood imported commercially has to be treated against certain pests before it comes in, and I suspect that a trailer load would come into that category, in fact any non manufactured wood would.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 1:14 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

We are using the trailer to stock up for our return to Spain.

Wood is about £5.00 for a small bag where my father lives. The wood is "free" here because of the storms at the beginning of the year.
OK, that makes sense to me. Thx for the info
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:52 am
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

Hi

try contacting DEFRA (Dept. of environment and rural affairs), but not sure if you will get much sense from them - I think its down to who answers the phone and whether that person has any knowledge or not. Be prepared to be put on hold many times. We have dealt with them in the past over various issues and believe me you get more sense from the cat.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:55 am
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

Forgot to say - will Rugbymatt be able to answer this one, he seems to be very knowledgable in woodland/agricultural issues.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:36 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

From listed European and Mediterranean countries, you are allowed a maximum of 5 pieces without bark, each no more than 1 metre in length.

All must be free from pests.

To be honest its not really worth it.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Battlezone,

Got any room in that trailer for a gallon of malt vinegar? lol
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
From listed European and Mediterranean countries, you are allowed a maximum of 5 pieces without bark, each no more than 1 metre in length.

All must be free from pests.

To be honest its not really worth it.
OK, I'll bite... what's the rationale behind the way that's written?
Who needs to bring home 5 pieces of barkless wood? What was this designed to achieve?
(and why is it you know this one again? )
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:54 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think RM was asked if he knew about the importation of wood into the UK, and he was stating what was allowed, i.e. the wood has to be stripped of bark, or at least I think thats it
So the Op who wanted to bring in a trailer load ... well ... can't!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.