Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Am I breaking any law?

Am I breaking any law?

Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:14 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: O'Vicedo, Galicia
Posts: 431
battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Am I breaking any law?

My father has just had a woodburner installed in his home in the UK. We are going back to the UK for a few days just before Xmas and we are taking our trailer which will be empty on the way out.

He has asked us to bring some wood for his fire in our trailer. Because of the hurricane earlier this year there are fallen trees everywhere on the ground and the locals have said to us to help ourselves otherwise it will rot. Will I be breaking any rules by bringing this wood back into the UK? It will be mostly pine and eucalyptus. Our trailer holds about 2.5 tonnes therefore we plan to fill it up for him as it will save him alot of money.

Does anyone foresee any problems for us at customs? Thanks.
battlezone123 is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:11 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Fredbargate's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Land of no recession
Posts: 10,719
Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

I would imagine the biggest problem would be pest control, therefore the answer probably lies with the Ministry of Agriculture ( or whatever it is now called )
Fredbargate is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:11 pm
  #3  
Retired and loving it!
 
snikpoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontinyent - Valencia region (campo)
Posts: 5,168
snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

Originally Posted by battlezone123
My father has just had a woodburner installed in his home in the UK. We are going back to the UK for a few days just before Xmas and we are taking our trailer which will be empty on the way out.

He has asked us to bring some wood for his fire in our trailer. Because of the hurricane earlier this year there are fallen trees everywhere on the ground and the locals have said to us to help ourselves otherwise it will rot. Will I be breaking any rules by bringing this wood back into the UK? It will be mostly pine and eucalyptus. Our trailer holds about 2.5 tonnes therefore we plan to fill it up for him as it will save him alot of money.

Does anyone foresee any problems for us at customs? Thanks.
The phrase ' coals to Newcastle' springs to mind. Can't see a problem though.

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I would imagine the biggest problem would be pest control, therefore the answer probably lies with the Ministry of Agriculture ( or whatever it is now called )
I don't think they mind as it's coming from Europe
snikpoh is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:00 pm
  #4  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 251
lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

I think it's definitely something that you need to check out officially before you start loading up - you don't want all your effort to be wasted if, for some reason, it's confiscated at immigration.

(I wish we were near Galicia - we could do with plenty of firewood for the forthcoming winter where we are )

.
lunacrout is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:29 pm
  #5  
Started off with nothing
 
missile's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,949
missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

Maybe you need the trailer to use on your return leg? If it's only to transport the wood, have you worked out the cost of taking the trailer on the ferry and extra fuel you will burn pulling it?

It might be a lot less hassle buying wood in the UK
missile is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:14 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: O'Vicedo, Galicia
Posts: 431
battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

Originally Posted by missile
Maybe you need the trailer to use on your return leg? If it's only to transport the wood, have you worked out the cost of taking the trailer on the ferry and extra fuel you will burn pulling it?

It might be a lot less hassle buying wood in the UK
We are using the trailer to stock up for our return to Spain.

Wood is about £5.00 for a small bag where my father lives. The wood is "free" here because of the storms at the beginning of the year.
battlezone123 is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:41 am
  #7  
Yaaarp
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Trying to get the hell outta Spain!
Posts: 1,354
Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I would imagine the biggest problem would be pest control, therefore the answer probably lies with the Ministry of Agriculture ( or whatever it is now called )
I'm in complete agreement with Fredbargate, I'd check this out with customs before you go.
Madridboy is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:57 am
  #8  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,305
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

Originally Posted by Madridboy
I'm in complete agreement with Fredbargate, I'd check this out with customs before you go.
Totally with you on that, I believe all wood imported commercially has to be treated against certain pests before it comes in, and I suspect that a trailer load would come into that category, in fact any non manufactured wood would.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2009, 1:14 am
  #9  
Started off with nothing
 
missile's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,949
missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

Originally Posted by battlezone123
We are using the trailer to stock up for our return to Spain.

Wood is about £5.00 for a small bag where my father lives. The wood is "free" here because of the storms at the beginning of the year.
OK, that makes sense to me. Thx for the info
missile is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:52 am
  #10  
CLR
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
Posts: 235
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

Originally Posted by battlezone123
My father has just had a woodburner installed in his home in the UK. We are going back to the UK for a few days just before Xmas and we are taking our trailer which will be empty on the way out.

He has asked us to bring some wood for his fire in our trailer. Because of the hurricane earlier this year there are fallen trees everywhere on the ground and the locals have said to us to help ourselves otherwise it will rot. Will I be breaking any rules by bringing this wood back into the UK? It will be mostly pine and eucalyptus. Our trailer holds about 2.5 tonnes therefore we plan to fill it up for him as it will save him alot of money.

Does anyone foresee any problems for us at customs? Thanks.
Hi

try contacting DEFRA (Dept. of environment and rural affairs), but not sure if you will get much sense from them - I think its down to who answers the phone and whether that person has any knowledge or not. Be prepared to be put on hold many times. We have dealt with them in the past over various issues and believe me you get more sense from the cat.
CLR is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:55 am
  #11  
CLR
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
Posts: 235
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

Forgot to say - will Rugbymatt be able to answer this one, he seems to be very knowledgable in woodland/agricultural issues.
CLR is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:36 am
  #12  
Straw Man.
 
rugbymatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
Posts: 46,302
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

From listed European and Mediterranean countries, you are allowed a maximum of 5 pieces without bark, each no more than 1 metre in length.

All must be free from pests.

To be honest its not really worth it.
rugbymatt is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:11 am
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
bigglesworth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: The Charente - still smiling.
Posts: 2,624
bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

Battlezone,

Got any room in that trailer for a gallon of malt vinegar? lol
bigglesworth is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:13 am
  #14  
 
meauxna's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 35,082
meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
From listed European and Mediterranean countries, you are allowed a maximum of 5 pieces without bark, each no more than 1 metre in length.

All must be free from pests.

To be honest its not really worth it.
OK, I'll bite... what's the rationale behind the way that's written?
Who needs to bring home 5 pieces of barkless wood? What was this designed to achieve?
(and why is it you know this one again? )
meauxna is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:54 am
  #15  
Senior Moment
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I breaking any law?

I think RM was asked if he knew about the importation of wood into the UK, and he was stating what was allowed, i.e. the wood has to be stripped of bark, or at least I think thats it
So the Op who wanted to bring in a trailer load ... well ... can't!
Mitzyboy is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.