Reload this Page >

Almunecar/La Herradura/Salobrena/Nerja/Roquetas de Mar

Almunecar/La Herradura/Salobrena/Nerja/Roquetas de Mar

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

alilever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Almunecar/La Herradura/Salobrena/Nerja/Roquetas de Mar

Hi,
I am new to the forum and looking for some insider info and advice. We are a couple in our 50s thinking about buying a property in Spain, firstly as a holiday home and in future to spend several months of the year. We have narrowed down the area of Spain we'd like to be to these towns. We'd like to find out more about them in order to narrow it down even more. Going to Roquetas in August and then we'll decide on somewhere to stay out of the others in October. I'd like to be near shops/sports faciclities/beach front etc - preferably without needing to use a car for everyday life. I'd like to be involved in the local community - clubs/societies etc and have a more active/ outdoor life once we've retired and are able to spend more time in Spain
Can anyone help with pros and cons of these towns?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Manclass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Almunecar/La Herradura/Salobrena/Nerja/Roquetas de Mar

Also new to the Forum. I live in Almunecar and have done for a few years. La Herradura in very close, its a lovely place but not as lively as Almunecar, In fact to access the main bank and shops you would need to travel to Almunecar..

Lots of things to do here, lots of bars and excellent restaurants, there is also quite a good mixture of nationalities here.

A good variety of sports are available as well as organised walking clubs. Most areas of Almunecar you wouldn't need to use a car if you didn't want to. Two main airports within easy reach, Malaga and Granada. A good place to live.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Nerja would also suit the requirements you have outlined, and I agree with the comments about Almunecar also. Salobrena is a nice place but rather far from Malaga airport, and I don't think there are many (or even any) direct flights between Granada and the UK at the moment. I remember when Ryanair pulled out of using Granada airport that it caused problems for quite a few people who had bought properties fairly close to there.

I don't know Roquetas de Mar personally but a friend of ours had his boat moored nearby and he said it is very, very quiet now with a lot of bars and restaurants closed and a great deal of unsold property, a virtual ghost town in the winter.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:08 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I don't know Roquetas de Mar personally but a friend of ours had his boat moored nearby and he said it is very, very quiet now with a lot of bars and restaurants closed and a great deal of unsold property, a virtual ghost town in the winter.
It is also surrounded by a hundred square miles of plastic greenhouses.

That would be far the worse choice out of the ones mentioned.

Nerja probably meets the OP's criteria most closely but is can be far too busy at times and parking is a nightmare. OK for short holiday stays but I would hate to live there.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:18 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alilever
Hi,
I am new to the forum and looking for some insider info and advice. We are a couple in our 50s thinking about buying a property in Spain, firstly as a holiday home and in future to spend several months of the year. We have narrowed down the area of Spain we'd like to be to these towns. We'd like to find out more about them in order to narrow it down even more. Going to Roquetas in August and then we'll decide on somewhere to stay out of the others in October. I'd like to be near shops/sports faciclities/beach front etc - preferably without needing to use a car for everyday life. I'd like to be involved in the local community - clubs/societies etc and have a more active/ outdoor life once we've retired and are able to spend more time in Spain
Can anyone help with pros and cons of these towns?
Originally Posted by Manclass
Also new to the Forum. I live in Almunecar and have done for a few years. La Herradura in very close, its a lovely place but not as lively as Almunecar, In fact to access the main bank and shops you would need to travel to Almunecar..

Lots of things to do here, lots of bars and excellent restaurants, there is also quite a good mixture of nationalities here.

A good variety of sports are available as well as organised walking clubs. Most areas of Almunecar you wouldn't need to use a car if you didn't want to. Two main airports within easy reach, Malaga and Granada. A good place to live.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:24 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I liked Salobreña, haven't been for some years. As Lynn said it is a treck from the airport. La herradura is nice. As Fred said Roquetas or any of that area doesn't compare. We thought it was a place without a soul.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Manclass is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree Roquetas de Mar is surrounded by plastic greenhouses, very unattractive, also agree Nerja is a very nice place, had an apartment there for 20 years, coming on holiday 3 times a year, the problem now with Nerja is its mainly a tourist town, great for a holiday but completely overcrowded in the summer and almost impossible to park unless you don't mind paying high parking charges. From Almunecar we enjoy going to Nerja for the day or for a night out as its just down the road, different matter altogether living there permanently.
No flights from Granada to the UK now, hopefully they could start up again in the future.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your replies. They are really helpful. Looks like we need to visit Almunecar in October. At least we can perhaps get an idea of property prices and what kind of thing we like when we visit Roquetas.
Can anyone recommend any reputable estate / relocation agents in the Almunecar area?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Roquetas I visited 2 years ago to meet up with a friend who lived inland of there. Quite nice sea front but other than that I thought it was awful. Almunecar seems to be quite a nice place only visited though never stayed there, doesn't look great driving in but very pleasant on sea front. Nerja is very touristy but again pleasant, I visit quite regular and always manage to park the car although sometimes it is in the big park where the old boy collects 1 euro for charity?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 1:58 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone recommend any reputable estate / relocation agents in the Almunecar area?
Although based in La Herradura you could try http://www.inmokarcher.com/

One of the few agents I would have total trust in.

You should look at La Herradura. It isn't as lively as Almunecar apart from the 6 week summer period but there is a covered market every day and loads of restaurants. Parking is brilliant - usually you can park on the beach in front of a restaurant.

It's only 10 minutes into Almunecar for the bigger shops.

It's also one of the prettiest locations on the whole of the south coast.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks! Is there a bus service from La Herradura to Almunecar?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:07 pm

Yes, no problem there.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:12 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes the smaller places like La Herradura can turn out livelier. Easy to get lost in a large town and not meet anyone.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Flight booked for October! Going to stay in La Herradura. Can't wait!
Old Feb 24th 2013, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Pablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the rough

Flight booked for October! Going to stay in La Herradura. Can't wait!
I would add Torrox Costa to your list, a lovely promenade and beach, plus its closer to Malaga (10 minutes drive before you get to Nerja)with a good bus service, property prices in Torrox Costa tend to be cheaper than Nerja, good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.