Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Almeria to Calais with a dog. (Driving)

Almeria to Calais with a dog. (Driving)

Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Beachcomber John is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Almeria to Calais with a dog. (Driving)

I am thinking of driving and need two dog hotel friendly hotels. Ideally going Valencia, Zaragoza and Bordeaux onto Calais (Tunnel) route.

These days I can't drive at night and 8 hours a day driving sounds enough, any suggestions please ? John.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almeria to Calais with a dog. (Driving)

Originally Posted by Beachcomber Bar Mojacar
I am thinking of driving and need two dog hotel friendly hotels. Ideally going Valencia, Zaragoza and Bordeaux onto Calais (Tunnel) route.

These days I can't drive at night and 8 hours a day driving sounds enough, any suggestions please ? John.
i stayed in the hotel etap a few weeks back, they said pets welcome (valencia)
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:39 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Not the shortest route,however Bayonne North just over the French border has a good selection incl Premiere and Etap,right beside the M'way.
On the shortest route via Barca and Lyon,there's a good selection beside the M'way at Montpellier.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Sorry I didn't explain myself well, I was thinking of staying the first night in the Bordeaux region and 2nd night Le Mans area, I guess 8 hours or so to and from each or not far from it, ie Mojacar, Bordeaux, Le Mans, Calais and London, John.

P.S. The idea being to leave Almeria early one morning, stay one night roughly a third of the way, do an 8 hour drive the next day and stay another night in France before the last leg of the journey through the tunnel reaching London before dark on the 3rd night...........

P.P.S. Thinking about it I might have to stop the first night a bit before Bordeaux as its an 11 hour drive from Mojacar and only 4 plus hours onto Le Mans from there..............maybe San Sabastion as my Spanish is better than my non existent French!.......Otherwise Bayonne looks good.......And thanks for the answers...........

Last edited by Beachcomber John; Jul 25th 2010 at 9:04 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:07 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

This comes up a lot.

It's actually quite easy - most of the French hotel chains are cheap, acceptable and take dogs.

My favourite is Campanile but I believe that Formula 1 and others are equally good.

There are many around Bordeaux and also Le Mans - we've stayed in both locations. Do a bit of homework online first to find out where they are exactly, and enjoy.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:21 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I have stayed at the ETAP in LeMan. It is not the usual type of hotel as it is near to the city centre than most.
If you book on line the ETAPs offer a slightly better price then if you turn up.
If you do manage to get there the old city centre is a great place to explore.

I would not use Formula 1s anymore as usually the other clients like to get up at the crack of dawn to start work.

I also think this subject has been discussed several times over the recent years, so maybe do a search and find out more about what has been said in the past.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:49 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I didn't explain myself well, I was thinking of staying the first night in the Bordeaux region and 2nd night Le Mans area, I guess 8 hours or so to and from each or not far from it, ie Mojacar, Bordeaux, Le Mans, Calais and London, John.

P.S. The idea being to leave Almeria early one morning, stay one night roughly a third of the way, do an 8 hour drive the next day and stay another night in France before the last leg of the journey through the tunnel reaching London before dark on the 3rd night...........

P.P.S. Thinking about it I might have to stop the first night a bit before Bordeaux as its an 11 hour drive from Mojacar and only 4 plus hours onto Le Mans from there..............maybe San Sabastion as my Spanish is better than my non existent French!.......Otherwise Bayonne looks good.......And thanks for the answers...........
Wouldn't count on very many speaking either Spanish or English in San Sebastian or a dog friendly hotel beside the road,.... just hope they are English friendly.
I never found them too friendly at all ,and they are a bit cool towards the Castilians also.
Unless you have some sightseeing planned there,you are probably better of moving on a few extra kms. to Bayonne.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:55 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jimenato
This comes up a lot.

It's actually quite easy - most of the French hotel chains are cheap, acceptable and take dogs.

My favourite is Campanile but I believe that Formula 1 and others are equally good.

There are many around Bordeaux and also Le Mans - we've stayed in both locations. Do a bit of homework online first to find out where they are exactly, and enjoy.
I agree most of the roadside chains are acceptable,though excepting Formula 1 which is normally a bit too basic, usually without any en suite toilet facilities,
Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

We have driven to and from the UK a few times and the last time was with dogs, we have found that the B & B chain of motels are reasonably priced and accept dogs. Their web site should tell you where they are but we have stayed in them at Le Mans and pointer, They have motels all over France.

http://www.hotel-bb.com/
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

we went from here Albuñol to Barcelona stayed on the speed limit and was there in plenty of time and stayed at the Formulae 1 chain dogs are welcome, then we went to Poitiers, but F1 are a French chain so all over the place can pre book or just turn up. we were impressed though our little Candela couldnt understand all these people walking through her house lol

If you stay there I would say pay for the breakfast as well worth it, but the dog has to be in the car or room whilst you eat.

If you dont use F1 a lot of the motels allow dogs anyway.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again all.I have decided to stay in Spain the first night and I thought maybe Hondarribia near Irun as I hear the restaurants there have the best seafood in the area. Can anyone suggest a suitable hotel and it doesn't have to be dog friendly as that's on the return trip, John.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:46 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve done the journey from Alicante to London several times, including with dogs. I take the motorway (E15) all the way, leave at six in the morning, cross the French border at lunchtime, and drive until around 6pm, when I reach the part where the giant motorway splits between Paris and Germany to the right. Very near to this junction is a large motel which takes dogs.

The second day is a leisurely trip to Calais and I usually take an overnight ferry, arriving in London before noon on the third day.