Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

All the rights British people could lose after Brexit

All the rights British people could lose after Brexit

Old Jun 1st 2018, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the rights British people could lose after Brexit

Originally Posted by BritInParis
if you asked Leave voters whether they thought voting Brexit would lead the UK to be able to determine its own trade policy, its own migration policy and not hand over hundreds of millions of pounds a week to the EU I suspect the answer would be a resounding yes.
Yes, that's what they thought, based on the information they had been given.
They also apparently thought that Brexit would be dead simple, and that the UK would be able to dictate the terms of leaving to the EU, and that it would able to quit without handing over any kind of payment, and that EU immigration would be stopped in its tracks on B-day and that the UK doesn't need EU immigrants, and that Japan and the US and India and the rest of the world would be rushing to sign trade deals on the UK's terms, and lots more things that they were told but that have since turned out not quite as they thought..
Old Jun 1st 2018, 8:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Yes, that's what they thought, based on the information they had been given.
They also apparently thought that Brexit would be dead simple, and that the UK would be able to dictate the terms of leaving to the EU, and that it would able to quit without handing over any kind of payment, and that EU immigration would be stopped in its tracks on B-day and that the UK doesn't need EU immigrants, and that Japan and the US and India and the rest of the world would be rushing to sign trade deals on the UK's terms, and lots more things that they were told but that have since turned out not quite as they thought..
Unfortunately our political class had other ideas.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree that most people aren't interested in the minutiae regarding the CU or SM, but if you asked Leave voters whether they thought voting Brexit would lead the UK to be able to determine its own trade policy, its own migration policy
Yes I had a conversation a while back with a middle class lady who fully supported Brexit on that very basis. I mentioned that many of the problems could have been resolved had Cameron simply of used the same protocol as Spain which is fully allowed within EU rules i.e. after 90 days prove income to support yourself prove medical cover etc. Her response well that's as maybe but at the end of the day we had to leave as their are far too many Indian , Pakistani and other Asians taking over our country! I asked her what that had to do with us being in the EU? But of course all Brexit voters fully understood it all? As for project fear yes it was over done but as they say it ain't over till the fat lady sings and she isn't singing yet because nobody even those negotiating know the final outcome, we must simply wait and see.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 9:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Yes I had a conversation a while back with a middle class lady who fully supported Brexit on that very basis. I mentioned that many of the problems could have been resolved had Cameron simply of used the same protocol as Spain which is fully allowed within EU rules i.e. after 90 days prove income to support yourself prove medical cover etc. Her response well that's as maybe but at the end of the day we had to leave as their are far too many Indian , Pakistani and other Asians taking over our country! I asked her what that had to do with us being in the EU? But of course all Brexit voters fully understood it all? As for project fear yes it was over done but as they say it ain't over till the fat lady sings and she isn't singing yet because nobody even those negotiating know the final outcome, we must simply wait and see.
Nothing legal could've been done to reduce numbers from the EU under Cameron, hence his trip around the capitals of Europe with a begging bowl. The EU tried to call our bluff during his 'negotiations' so we called theirs by voting Leave. Blair could've put in the same transitional controls, just as the 'good' Europeans like the Germans and France in 2004 did, but chose not to. That Blair also vastly increased non-EU immigration during his tenure, in part to 'to rub the Right's nose in diversity', a policy that hasn't been reversed by any succeeding government meant that the Brexit vote was the first time any voter had an opportunity to pass comment on 20 years of mass immigration.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing legal could've been done to reduce numbers from the EU under Cameron, hence his trip around the capitals of Europe with a begging bowl. The EU tried to call our bluff during his 'negotiations' so we called theirs by voting Leave. Blair could've put in the same transitional controls, just as the 'good' Europeans like the Germans and France in 2004 did, but chose not to. That Blair also vastly increased non-EU immigration during his tenure, in part to 'to rub the Right's nose in diversity', a policy that hasn't been reversed by any succeeding government meant that the Brexit vote was the first time any voter had an opportunity to pass comment on 20 years of mass immigration.
odd given that is exactly what is proposed by May and co to apply the 90 day rule. I am not saying that would have actually stopped EU citizens coming to the EU but it is lawful under EU legislation and I believe would have been enough to swing the small majority that was out. Blair I agree should have applied the transitional arrangements allowed he didn't and some areas of the UK saw very large inflows of these people. So yes both major parties have had a hand in where we have ended up. My main point though was the ignorance of this educated women who voted out to stop immigrants from India Pakistan etc coming to our country. By the way she had just been treated in hospital no doubt by an immigrant doctor. I'm afraid there are idiots on both sides of this argument. At the end of the day we are where we are people were given the vote and voted or didn't as they saw fit every vote has the same value, we may not agree with others views but that's life I'm afraid.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
It's not so much being frightened of a confirmatory vote. I'm sure the vote in favour of Brexit will be greater than the initial Referendum result.
It's more how can anyone ever trust the result of a referendum again if it can just be re-run because a minority of the voters didn't like the result of the first vote?
And if a second vote went the other way (unlikely I know) then why shouldn't there be a third vote to satisfy the losers of the second vote?
Where do you draw the line?
The referendum was a one-off, one in a generation vote and it was perfectly clear that it would mean leaving the EU, CU, SM and the rest. David Cameron said as much in his shameful countrywide leaflet when he was trying to persuade the country to vote in favour of staying.
And the argument that we didn't know what we were voting for is just plain insulting.
Then mess, confusion and chaotic negotiations are entirely due to our incompetent PM.
Farage said on the eve of the count - when he thought they would lose - that that would not be the end of it and the Eurosceptics would continue to campaign for another referendum. Utter hypocrisy.
Then, look at Nicola Sturgeon in Scotland, she hasn't stopped agitating for another referendum, she has just published her latest proposal. Referenda are not "once-in-a-lifetime" events.

Actually, IMHO, referenda have no place in a mature representative parliamentary democracy - they just cause division and acrimony. Remember the 48%!
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Many remainers don't understand what they were voting on either, and don't understand what things like free movement are and aren't. How many uni students voted in because they thought they would need a visa to go on their backpacking trip during the summer holidays?
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Many remainers don't understand what they were voting on either, and don't understand what things like free movement are and aren't. How many uni students voted in because they thought they would need a visa to go on their backpacking trip during the summer holidays?
And who's to say that they won't? Current proposal is that the UK citizens would need a "Schengen Visa" to travel to the EU.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

And who is to say it will? Wake me when it happens.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by MikeJ
And who's to say that they won't? Current proposal is that the UK citizens would need a "Schengen Visa" to travel to the EU.
No it isn’t. Happy to have the debate but stop making it up.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute

Well said, thank you!
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Yorkshire Princess is an unknown quantity at this point

Eh, excuse me? As a remain voter I understand very well what I was voting for. I do understand what free movement is and isn't because I've read the relevant EU directive.

The government has refused to have face-to-face meetings with any of the ex-pat campaign groups in Spain who are concerned about what is going to happen to British citizens there after BREXIT. Anyone who relies on the Spanish state to provide benefits, healthcare etc. should be worried.

I've now got an Irish passport. That's how much faith I have in the present government to protect my rights when I move to Spain.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Princess
Eh, excuse me? As a remain voter I understand very well what I was voting for. I do understand what free movement is and isn't because I've read the relevant EU directive.
OK, good! So do you understand now, how insulting it is to say that leave voters only voted that way because they are stupid and ignorant?

Most leave voters knew what they were getting, and most remain voters knew what they were getting (and there certainly are remain voters who don't understand Free Movement . . . they show up in this forum from time to time . . . you understanding what free movement is does not mean everyone else who voted remain does, if that's what you are getting at).

The Guardian's own statistics - I know because I linked to them in a thread a while back - showed that only 2-3% of all UK Citizens exercise their Free Movement rights. It was about the same for the other major Western European countries. If I remember Poland was at the higher end with 4% exercising Free Movement.

Another way to look at that, is to say 95% + of British Citizens are not using their Free Movement rights. Basing the Remain campaign around that was a mistake, as was the hyperbole about an economic supernova, when every political party in every political campaign always says that's what is going to happen if the other side wins. It's tiresome.

What else do you have about why the UK should stay in the EU? Play those cards - not ones the vast majority of British Citizens don't care about and don't ever plan on using.

I'm actually not sure what the point of this thread is, other than that the OP is still butt-hurt that Remain lost the referendum. Is this thread covering any new ground?
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's a bit like the people that voted out because there are too many immigrants coming from Asia and Africa then. Reality is there are people on both sides of the argument who haven't a clue about the details of what it all means. However they have the right to vote whichever way they wish. Not surprising that most people using this site are more interested in how the final outcome will affect them their pocket and health care given most are immigrants themselves in a foreign country. Although I know some don't see that more they are expats? The vote is over until whenever there's another. All I hope for is a decent result for all of us from this mess
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Yorkshire Princess is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, good! So do you understand now, how insulting it is to say that leave voters only voted that way because they are stupid and ignorant?

Most leave voters knew what they were getting, and most remain voters knew what they were getting (and there certainly are remain voters who don't understand Free Movement . . . they show up in this forum from time to time . . . you understanding what free movement is does not mean everyone else who voted remain does, if that's what you are getting at).

The Guardian's own statistics - I know because I linked to them in a thread a while back - showed that only 2-3% of all UK Citizens exercise their Free Movement rights. It was about the same for the other major Western European countries. If I remember Poland was at the higher end with 4% exercising Free Movement.

Another way to look at that, is to say 95% + of British Citizens are not using their Free Movement rights. Basing the Remain campaign around that was a mistake, as was the hyperbole about an economic supernova, when every political party in every political campaign always says that's what is going to happen if the other side wins. It's tiresome.

What else do you have about why the UK should stay in the EU? Play those cards - not ones the vast majority of British Citizens don't care about and don't ever plan on using.

I'm actually not sure what the point of this thread is, other than that the OP is still butt-hurt that Remain lost the referendum. Is this thread covering any new ground?
Where in my one post did I say that I think that everyone who voted LEAVE is stupid and ignorant? Where in it did I say that I believe all REMAIN voters understand freedom of movement?
You seem to be saying that because 95% of Brits do not exercise freedom of movement, that it's ok that this right is denied to the other 5% who do want to exercise it. Fair enough. You and other people do not care about it but I do. Judging by your reply to my post, you seem to have made assumptions about me and what I believe when you don't even know me.

This thread is supposed to be about discussing rights British people could lose after BREXIT, that is the 'point' of this thread. I get the impression you're tired of hearing about it. In which case, why are you posting about it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.